Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 342 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, is this truly the first New Build Critique thread? I'm coming from the Macanforum, where I did ultimately put a deposit on an allocation for a 2023 Macan GTS.

Fast forward to today, and clearly I'm being irresponsible and watched every single 992 Carrera YouTube video there is on the interwebs. Now, I am wondering if my introduction to the Porsche should be the icon versus the "gateway Porsche" Macan.

NEW BUILDS:
1) The Porsche Code
Base, GT Silver, Standard Interior in Black, Sport 4-way seats, RS Spyder wheels, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, GT leather steering wheel, Electric folding mirrors.
or
2) The Porsche Code
Base, GT Silver, Leather in Graphite Blue w/Chalk stitching, Sport 4-way seats, Carrera S wheels, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, GT leather steering wheel, Electric folding mirrors.

Feedback is welcomed!

Cliff notes: Put a deposit down for an allocation on a Macan GTS. Contemplating the upgrade to a 911 and LIVE THE DREAM.

Update: 2022/12/23: Changed my allocation from the Macan to the 992 Base :D
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

My choice really comes down to whether I want the RS Spyder wheels or the gorgeous Graphite Blue leather interior more...
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Hi guys, is this truly the first New Build Critique thread? I'm coming from the Macanforum, where I did ultimately put a deposit on an allocation for a 2023 Macan GTS.

Fast forward to today, and clearly I'm being irresponsible and watched every single 992 Carrera YouTube video there is on the interwebs. Now, I am wondering if my introduction to the Porsche should be the icon versus the "gateway Porsche" Macan.

I am aware of the Carrera T, so naturally I decided to compare the Base and the T. Approx. $141K CAD for both of these builds:

1) The Porsche Code highlights: Aventurine Green on Black/Iceland Green leather, RS Spyder wheels, Sport Exhaust, GT leather steering wheel
2) The Porsche Code highlights: GT Silver on Standard interior, glass sunroof.

Dilemma: The one option I left out of the Base build is the Sport Chrono package. It's high-priced on the base, then again, so are the gorgeous RS Spyder wheels. I basically opted for the wheels over the SC which doesn't sound like a good trade-off but I am obsessed with those wheels. The T just comes so well equipped stock but the interior is lacking in luxury.

Feedback is welcomed!

Cliff notes: Put a deposit down for an allocation on a Macan GTS. Contemplating the upgrade to a 911 and LIVE THE DREAM.

View attachment 1403
View attachment 1402
CC, go with your gut but classic Porsche is GT Silver and life is short get the 911 all day long.This was also my first 911 I ordered but I drove a pre owned Boxster prior. It was an early retirement gift to myself. I NEVER use Sport Chrono but I won‘t track my car. Manual all day long and my car is a daily driver until winter, hope it helps and you’ll get great feedback on this forum. I had my top down today here in Pa…55 degrees!
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,312 Posts

I am aware of the Carrera T, so naturally I decided to compare the Base and the T. Approx. $141K CAD for both of these builds:

1) The Porsche Code highlights: Aventurine Green on Black/Iceland Green leather, RS Spyder wheels, Sport Exhaust, GT leather steering wheel

Dilemma: The one option I left out of the Base build is the Sport Chrono package. It's high-priced on the base, then again, so are the gorgeous RS Spyder wheels. I basically opted for the wheels over the SC which doesn't sound like a good trade-off but I am obsessed with those wheels. The T just comes so well equipped stock but the interior is lacking in luxury.

Feedback is welcomed!

View attachment 1403
View attachment 1402
I see. a few problems -

1) The minute you start adding features to a base car the price climb is fast . Those RS wheels for instance are free on a. GTS and they are cheaper on a. 992 S . If you are looking for a "comfort" 911 with options then the S is pick. I would not buy any car without sport chrono. That is especially there case with PDK , PDK is one of Porsches most sophisticated piece of equipment and without sport plus the unit is incomplete .

On both cars you did not choose premium package and its almost a must have . Those little features are a nice bundle package and are not imperative but really nice to have .

2) The T is my pick but I would make changes .

a) Ditch there glass sunroof . Its fine on a Macan but on a 911 its a heavy weight placed in the center of mass of the car . It ruins the torsional rigidity and is placed in the worst possible location . The T's claim to fame its its light weight , That roof changes it .

b) Get the leather / sport tex . Its nicer . I saw a Gt silvers with the lizard green stitch The member named Trusted on Macan Forum put it in his 718 Spyder and it looks really nice . Its controversial nonetheless but at least get the lather .

c) add premium package

d) Consider exclusive tail lights . The clear light on GT silver looks like a space ship

Number 2 as stated is the pick of the two . Both colors are nice nut I favor GT silver ,

Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car

· Registered
99 Posts

Feedback is welcomed!

View attachment 1403
View attachment 1402
CC -

I went with a 2023 Base Carrera Cabriolet for my first entry into the wonderful Porsche world (ETA 12/30/2022). The iconic 911 is the way to go in my humble opinion. I would prefer the wheels you mentioned but you just have to go with your gut on what you means the most to you and be done with it.

I felt the sports chrono package and sports exhaust were must haves, and also opted for the larger wheels but with the Carrera S wheels. I just couldn't justify paying more for the spyder wheels. I originally added the premium package but when the stripped the package of the Bose sound system, I didn't feel it was worth it any more so I deleted it.

With all that said, I would still prefer a bare bones 911 over a Macan any day!! :cool:

· Registered
1,272 Posts

Feedback is welcomed!

View attachment 1403
View attachment 1402
Welcome to the Forum CC! I'm puzzled because you seem to be comparing the Macan to the 911 and they're 2 completely different cars. The Macan may be a Porsche but it's not a sports car. I have one and I can give a ride to my Mom in it. If I manage to sit her in the 911, she's not coming out! :p

P.S. Are you planning to drive your 911 in winter in Canada?

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,312 Posts
Welcome to the Forum CC! I'm puzzled because you seem to be comparing the Macan to the 911 and they're 2 completely different cars. The Macan may be a Porsche but it's not a sports car. I have one and I can give a ride to my Mom in it. If I manage to sit her in the 911, she's not coming out! :p
When my mother was alive, she loved riding in my 911. It unleashed her juvenile side as an elderly woman. I had to calm her down when she wanted me to raise other drivers on the street it was actually quite funny. By the time she couldn’t get in and out of any car, she was already very ill and hospitalized.

I never had anyone excited to ride in the Macan. They enjoyed the car, but not the same way as the 911.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
When my mother was alive, she loved riding in my 911. It unleashed her juvenile side as an elderly woman. I had to calm her down when she wanted me to raise other drivers on the street it was actually quite funny. By the time she couldn’t get in and out of any car, she was already very ill and hospitalized.

I never had anyone excited to ride in the Macan. They enjoyed the car, but not the same way as the 911.
Comparing the Macan and the 911 is like comparing apples and oranges! 😅

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,312 Posts
Comparing the Macan and the 911 is like comparing apples and oranges! 😅
I agree, but I don’t think that is what she was trying to say. I think she viewed it more as a gateway into a 911 there have been many people who began with Macan and ended up in the 911. I think it stems from experiencing a taste of Porsche and wanting to get to know the icon.

· Registered
1,894 Posts

Larry,
My Mom is the same way and she’s very protective of the car…she’s like, park way over here I dont mind walking a bit. I dont want anyone getting close to your car! Thank you Mommy!

· Registered
47 Posts
Probably going to be in the minority here but unless you plan to track the car, sport chrono is unnecessary In my opinion. Launch control would be great at the drag strip and fun the one time you try it to see what it does. Doubt the macht schnell now button (gizmo to optimize performance for x seconds) sees much if any use either. Suspension on my car w/o SC handles and corners just fine. there might be something I’m missing here and I'd be curious as to why SC proponents think it's essential and how they use it. Other choices are personal taste to make your car your car.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Probably going to be in the minority here but unless you plan to track the car, sport chrono is unnecessary In my opinion. Launch control would be great at the drag strip and fun the one time you try it to see what it does. Doubt the macht schnell now button (gizmo to optimize performance for x seconds) sees much if any use either. Suspension on my car w/o SC handles and corners just fine. there might be something I’m missing here and I'd be curious as to why SC proponents think it's essential and how they use it. Other choices are personal taste to make your car your car.
BTD, i‘m right there with you. I ordered the manual in my Carrera S and it was included. Otherwise I wouldn’t have opted for it. I’ll never track my car….just me.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
BTD, i‘m right there with you. I ordered the manual in my Carrera S and it was included. Otherwise I wouldn’t have opted for it. I’ll never track my car….just me.
Sport chrono with the MT gives us that rev-matching we LOVE and makes us sound like pros! LOL! I also like that cool little switch on the steering wheel. :p And it came for free with the manual!

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s correct Larry, I know better than to compare the two because that wouldn’t make sense. Car background history includes a multitude of Volkswagen, Audi and BMW models. Always dreamt of one day owning a Porsche

I’m struggling with the jump in price and the fact that I’d need to buy out my current Mazda CX-5 after lease is up or get a winter beater. The Macan GTS is a great year-rounder, and I am trying to be realistic in terms of what I can afford.

I dont see a Premium Package listed as an option for the Carrera T. I see it on the Base but to honest, there’s nothing listed there that makes that a “must have”.

Thanks for all of the feedback, got a lot of thinking to do, including considering an older more fully loaded 991.2… but there’s just something about the 992 that feels worlds apart.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
I agree, but I don’t think that is what she was trying to say. I think she viewed it more as a gateway into a 911 there have been many people who began with Macan and ended up in the 911. I think it stems from experiencing a taste of Porsche and wanting to get to know the icon.
I understand and CC will love either car since...their both Porsches. ;) The question is does she need a practical SUV with a great engine (except the base:eek:) that can be driven year-round or an iconic and exciting little sports car that will probably have to be stored in winter if she lives in Canada. Apples and oranges! Having BOTH is of course the answer! 😅

· Registered
1,894 Posts
That’s correct Larry, I know better than to compare the two because that wouldn’t make sense. Car background history includes a multitude of Volkswagen, Audi and BMW models. Always dreamt of one day owning a Porsche

I’m struggling with the jump in price and the fact that I’d need to buy out my current Mazda CX-5 after lease is up or get a winter beater. The Macan GTS is a great year-rounder, and I am trying to be realistic in terms of what I can afford.

I dont see a Premium Package listed as an option for the Carrera T. I see it on the Base but to honest, there’s nothing listed there that makes that a “must have”.

Thanks for all of the feedback, got a lot of thinking to do, including considering an older more fully loaded 991.2… but there’s just something about the 992 that feels worlds apart.
You’ll make the right decision. 😎

1 - 20 of 342 Posts