Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am waiting for my 992 I am reading and trying to absorb as much information as possible. I must say this battery thing makes me a bit uneasy. I have never needed to trickle charge any of my cars in the past. That includes my Macan and my 991.2. Both have been left un driven for extended periods of time (months)!
Renlist is a well of information….some of it not so accurate. In my building there are 7 911s resident. Five of them 992s. Two of the 992s are regularly covered for weeks at a time. For sure not driven at all. I have never seen roadside assistance next to any of the 992s. I spoke with one of the 992 owners who travels extensively. He says 2-3 months at a time. He says he has never had an issue starting his 992 after it being idle for a ltime. In fact, he says he has never heard of any of his 992 friends having to trickle charge their 992s….
Btw. There is no ability to plug a trickle in my building.

Confused

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
While I am waiting for my 992 I am reading and trying to absorb as much information as possible. I must say this battery thing makes me a bit uneasy. I have never needed to trickle charge any of my cars in the past. That includes my Macan and my 991.2. Both have been left un driven for extended periods of time (months)!
Renlist is a well of information….some of it not so accurate. In my building there are 7 911s resident. Five of them 992s. Two of the 992s are regularly covered for weeks at a time. For sure not driven at all. I have never seen roadside assistance next to any of the 992s. I spoke with one of the 992 owners who travels extensively. He says 2-3 months at a time. He says he has never had an issue starting his 992 after it being idle for a ltime. In fact, he says he has never heard of any of his 992 friends having to trickle charge their 992s….

Confused
He may not have rear axle steering . It has the lithium battery . Even at 2 months eventually it goes dead if not maintained . I lost a few batteries with his logic .

·
Registered
68 Posts

Confused

Hi

Maybe you are missing this:
Página de acessórios Tequipment - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You may have to take this up with your association. You can’t keep losing batteries because they don’t have a charger. Most people who have electric vehicles require a charger as well. It’s an excusable that long range charging is not available in any condominium building. It is part of the problem of having two residences. I never did it my parents did though and after a few years they had to consolidate into one. It got old. Took about 10 years for them to say enough.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. When I talk with the assoc people here in Miami, they think I am a hit crazy😜! In Ottawa the situation is a bit different. I recently sold my house and moved (temporarily) into a rental condo. Both of my parking spaces there have EV hook up but the management will not allow me to run an electrical plug off of that hookup! The actual condo that I bought is being built and I am in talks with them regarding the outlets. Hopefully, I will be able to put one there.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I agree. When I talk with the assoc people here in Miami, they think I am a hit crazy😜! In Ottawa the situation is a bit different. I recently sold my house and moved (temporarily) into a rental condo. Both of my parking spaces there have EV hook up but the management will not allow me to run an electrical plug off of that hookup! The actual condo that I bought is being built and I am in talks with them regarding the outlets. Hopefully, I will be able to put one there.
I lived in a condominium all of my younger years. When my parents first started out with a second resident they did a condominium on Key Biscayne. I loved the convenience if you live alone or I’m married with no children and no pets and follow all of the little rules. I never imagined that I would be living in a house in suburbia. It’s completely opposite of a city person personality that I have. There are some perks to it though and one of them is being able to have multiple cars and pets . When you’re finally make the move to one place which I think you will do it will probably be a small retirement home. I say this because at some point With significant aging the travel becomes difficult. It’s also a good idea to be positioned near a medical possibility and position know how to take care of you. I’m only 64 But I am thinking ahead. I saw what the elderly people go through in Miami. There comes a point where they live in one place. It might even be a condo if they’re alone with no pets. There are even a few that chose to rent so that if they were to pass away their family members would not have to go through selling the property and such. It’s a lot to consider but it starts with a simple battery charger that you can’t have for your nearly $200,000 car.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I lived in a condominium all of my younger years. When my parents first started out with a second resident they did a condominium on Key Biscayne. I loved the convenience if you live alone or I’m married with no children and no pets and follow all of the little rules. I never imagined that I would be living in a house in suburbia. It’s completely opposite of a city person personality that I have. There are some perks to it though and one of them is being able to have multiple cars and pets . When you’re finally make the move to one place which I think you will do it will probably be a small retirement home. I say this because at some point With significant aging the travel becomes difficult. It’s also a good idea to be positioned near a medical possibility and position know how to take care of you. I’m only 64 But I am thinking ahead. I saw what the elderly people go through in Miami. There comes a point where they live in one place. It might even be a condo if they’re alone with no pets. There are even a few that chose to rent so that if they were to pass away their family members would not have to go through selling the property and such. It’s a lot to consider but it starts with a simple battery charger that you can’t have for your nearly $200,000 car.
Your last sentence…..yes it sucks!

I lived in big homes all my life. My kids just moved out (99%). It was time for a condo living. Was tired of all the maintenance. Still have one house on the lake. This is my get away from people place. At 55 I am not thinking hospitals yet. In both cities they are within couple of miles of me.
I thought (very briefly) of leaving the 992 at the lake house but there is no garage. And leaving the 992 outside over the winter would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi
Every time I leave my car if my window is completely opened it will go up about 10cm as soon as I open the door and it will low back completely again, by itself, as soon as I close the door.
Can please someone explain to me why this happens?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi
Every time I leave my car if my window is completely opened it will go up about 10cm as soon as I open the door and it will low back completely again, by itself, as soon as I close the door.
Can please someone explain to me why this happens?
Thanks in advance.
I believe it was designed that way to protect the inner workings of the window from slamming etc.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I did not want to start a new thread, instead I thought it would be ok to tack onto this one. Since I started it.

I finally figured out this tender/maintainer gizmo and I am content with it. Here are couple of observations.

When I drive the car my battery voltage sits around 13.1v to 13.3v. I had the car sit without the tender for about 14 days while back. When I fired it up after the 14 days the voltage read 13.1v (so no drop). Recently, I had the car plugged to the tender for 12 days (no driving). I fired it up few days ago and voltage indicated 13.1v (so no change). Interesting.

What does your voltage indicator show?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So I did not want to start a new thread, instead I thought it would be ok to tack onto this one. Since I started it.

I finally figured out this tender/maintainer gizmo and I am content with it. Here are couple of observations.

When I drive the car my battery voltage sits around 13.1v to 13.3v. I had the car sit without the tender for about 14 days while back. When I fired it up after the 14 days the voltage read 13.1v (so no drop). Recently, I had the car plugged to the tender for 12 days (no driving). I fired it up few days ago and voltage indicated 13.1v (so no change). Interesting.

What does your voltage indicator show?
I never looked because I never left the car more than a couple days. Now I’ve been driving the car every day with the black car being in the shop. I’m glad to hear that you were able to test it for 14 days. The concern I have is that there is a supply shortage of that battery as of the last time I read about it whether or not that’s changed by now. I don’t know. I also know that the battery is very expensive. I do love the rear axle feature, so I’m hoping that I don’t end up with a dead battery at some point to tarnish that in any way . I am now using your post as a reference because you’ve been testing it. Thanks for posting it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts