Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally picking up my 911 C4S this weekend. My first Porsche. Very excited, obviously.

The sales team sent me a list of optional protective packages. I am inclined to say no to all given I don’t think I will keep the car past its factory warranty.

But, I am thinking about the tire protection. This is what the team sent me

“Road Hazard Protection through Porsche. 5 years of tire and rim replacement for any road hazards. Covers repair on rims for cosmetic damage. Also covers dent/ding repair (credit card size), windshield repair and one windshield replacement if needed during term, and lost keys (up to 5 keys). Cost is $4895”

I don’t think I need the dent and ding or windshield coverage. I don’t plan to lose my keys!!

Removing those options, just tire/rim coverage cost is $4400. Seems too expensive for five years tire and rim coverage. Anyone have experience with this?

thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Finally picking up my 911 C4S this weekend. My first Porsche. Very excited, obviously.

The sales team sent me a list of optional protective packages. I am inclined to say no to all given I don’t think I will keep the car past its factory warranty.

But, I am thinking about the tire protection. This is what the team sent me

“Road Hazard Protection through Porsche. 5 years of tire and rim replacement for any road hazards. Covers repair on rims for cosmetic damage. Also covers dent/ding repair (credit card size), windshield repair and one windshield replacement if needed during term, and lost keys (up to 5 keys). Cost is $4895”

I don’t think I need the dent and ding or windshield coverage. I don’t plan to lose my keys!!

Removing those options, just tire/rim coverage cost is $4400. Seems too expensive for five years tire and rim coverage. Anyone have experience with this?

thanks.
Like all insurance, it's a waste of money if you don't need it but great when you do need it.😅

As a rule I don't buy insurance on things I can afford to repair/replace, insurance is great at saving you from outsized costs that you can't really handle or handle easily financially, helps you mitigate risk, but buying insurance on tv's/wheels/extended-warranties/appliances whatever just generally helps someone else make money, and you're left hoping you're in the minority of their customers that they regret underwriting.

Unless the potential loss is a threat to my financial stability, I self-insure.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just say no! You will do better dealing directly with service in the event of a flat or curb rash wheel. Those packages are sold by sales and it is a completely different division that is geared towards putting profit in their pocket.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just say no! You will do better dealing directly with service in the event of a flat or curb rash wheel. Those packages are sold by sales and it is a completely different division that is geared towards putting profit in their pocket.
I said yes at the beginning but glad I didn’t purchase it. Just replace as you go.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Based on the opinions here (thanks all) I did not purchase any of the additional warranties. Not ever the service prepayment. The service prepayment was a complete wash. When buying the Macan the service prepayment was around 350.00 less than each service combined over the 4 yrs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Under 10,000 miles 911 4s and both rear tires were showing the metal mesh and needed Porsche towing to dealership.

Service dept at dealer said it is typical for rear tires to only last 7,000 to 11,000 miles. He said with the aggressive factory stance they were out quickly. If you do not believe me--look down under your 911 at the inside of rear tires.

They replaced two tires and said alignment was spot on correct BUT if I wanted to realign to take out some of the agressive stance and more inner tire wear they could realign. They said 50% of those replacing rear tires opt in for the alignment adjustment. No sales pitch on 7,000 mile tires!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Under 10,000 miles 911 4s and both rear tires were showing the metal mesh and needed Porsche towing to dealership.

Service dept at dealer said it is typical for rear tires to only last 7,000 to 11,000 miles. He said with the aggressive factory stance they were out quickly. If you do not believe me--look down under your 911 at the inside of rear tires.

They replaced two tires and said alignment was spot on correct BUT if I wanted to realign to take out some of the agressive stance and more inner tire wear they could realign. They said 50% of those replacing rear tires opt in for the alignment adjustment. No sales pitch on 7,000 mile tires!
That is what it is. I get between 6-12K miles (lowest to highest in 9 911's)

·
Registered
399 Posts
7k that would be 11k kms. That sounds right for spirited driving. It is just too bad that all manufacturers set the rear wheel camber in such way that the insides of rears wear so much faster.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
7k that would be 11k kms. That sounds right for spirited driving. It is just too bad that all manufacturers set the rear wheel camber in such way that the insides of rears wear so much faster.
I’m going to have to ask the dealer about that one. Where do you guys buy your tires or do you just get them at the dealer? What is a set of rear tires going for these days for the 992?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts