Porsche 992 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
MT would be a lot of fun, but apparently the PDK is an extraordinary feat of German transmission engineering.
I thought long and hard with this . I happen to love both equally so I am neither a "manual only" or "PDK only " guy . Both gearboxes are world class . There were three deal breakers on the manual for me :

1) Its. turbo engine . Opting for manual loses boost on upshifts rather than maintains it with the speed of the PDK shift . That efficiency is even better with the newest PDK . It has evolved trememdously. In 2009 I regretted the PDK and to this day would tell people to look for manual if buying a used 997 . The first Gen PDK was awful and newest one is incredible .

2) Its a 7 speed . Those upper gears can get more complicated than a 6 speed . Porsche even ruined the 6 speed in the Gt3 by holding the RPM's . They almost made it become a PDK .

3) Unless in Sport Plus a manual can be over rev . Those engine over revs can place wear and tear on an engine and in the worst case (a money shift) can damage it , PDK ignore error over rev commands and cuts off before over rev . For the life of the engine PDK is gold .

There is one huge advantage of manual . Keeping a car a long time many tihngs break. It is lmuch cheaper to replace a clutch than overhaul a PDK out of warranty . Cost goes to the manual but is made up by over revs . Tough call . I chose PDK.

Registered
I thought long and hard with this . I happen to love both equally so I am neither a "manual only" or "PDK only " guy . Both gearboxes are world class . There were three deal breakers on the manual for me :

1) Its. turbo engine . Opting for manual loses boost on upshifts rather than maintains it with the speed of the PDK shift . That efficiency is even better with the newest PDK . It has evolved trememdously. In 2009 I regretted the PDK and to this day would tell people to look for manual if buying a used 997 . The first Gen PDK was awful and newest one is incredible .

2) Its a 7 speed . Those upper gears can get more complicated than a 6 speed . Porsche even ruined the 6 speed in the Gt3 by holding the RPM's . They almost made it become a PDK .

3) Unless in Sport Plus a manual can be over rev . Those engine over revs can place wear and tear on an engine and in the worst case (a money shift) can damage it , PDK ignore error over rev commands and cuts off before over rev . For the life of the engine PDK is gold .

There is one huge advantage of manual . Keeping a car a long time many tihngs break. It is lmuch cheaper to replace a clutch than overhaul a PDK out of warranty . Cost goes to the manual but is made up by over revs . Tough call . I chose PDK.
Like I said before Pontiff, you are wise and I appreciate your wisdom. I hang on every word.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Like I said before Pontiff, you are wise and I appreciate your wisdom. I hang on every word.
Bobby - It was a tough decision . If I were buying a Cab I would have done exactly what you did (manual Carrera S) . The only negative I considered with PDK was "would I miss a manual" . I have a manual (my black car) plus its a 6 speed .

So it really came down to a brief moment of psychological contentment Vs every other ounce of logic . I wanted this GTS to be a serious GTS (lightweight pack, PDK , RAS . Carbon roof, PCCB) and it really is bada$$.

I would likely be even more torn on the Carrera T . Unlike the GTS the base engine might mate well with it. Plus the manual in a base car is exclusive since every other base since 2020 was PDK. I also feel Porsche intended it to be a manual . Nonetheless PDK really can rip that beast. Plus PDK is an added cost . Tough choice . Likely a manual for me on a T.

My friend Pete (has you tube channel) spec his Gt3 touring with a manual throughout the duration of his build . He gave every reason ( IE last NA 6 speed manual GT car , etc) and with it being a Touring with less production numbers (than wing car) he felt it was imperative . Then he drove his friends manual Gt3 . He changed the build to PDK .

Here are both cars .

Registered
Bobby - It was a tough decision . If I were buying a Cab I would have done exactly what you did (manual Carrera S) . The only negative I considered with PDK was "would I miss a manual" . I have a manual (my black car) plus its a 6 speed .

So it really came down to a brief moment of psychological contentment Vs every other ounce of logic . I wanted this GTS to be a serious GTS (lightweight pack, PDK , RAS . Carbon roof, PCCB) and it really is bada$$.

I would likely be even more torn on the Carrera T . Unlike the GTS the base engine might mate well with it. Plus the manual in a base car is exclusive since every other base since 2020 was PDK. I also feel Porsche intended it to be a manual . Nonetheless PDK really can rip that beast. Plus PDK is an added cost . Tough choice . Likely a manual for me on a T.

My friend Pete (has you tube channel) spec his Gt3 touring with a manual throughout the duration of his build . He gave every reason ( IE last NA 6 speed manual GT car , etc) and with it being a Touring with less production numbers (than wing car) he felt it was imperative . Then he drove his friends manual Gt3 . He changed the build to PDK .

Here are both cars .
Great review Larry, Pete gives a very detailed description. I remember listening his Spyder review and I was very interested until I drove one. Couldn鈥檛 wait to get back into my 992! Hopefully I will keep enjoying the Manual into my more senior years!

Registered
Great review Larry, Pete gives a very detailed description. I remember listening his Spyder review and I was very interested until I drove one. Couldn鈥檛 wait to get back into my 992! Hopefully I will keep enjoying the Manual into my more senior years!
Exactly Bobby, all those reviews are very helpful but in the end our personal "contentment" (psychological or not) sometimes outweighs "every ounce of logic".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Exactly Bobby, all those reviews are very helpful but in the end our personal "contentment" (psychological or not) sometimes outweighs "every ounce of logic".
Part of why Pete began a youtube channel is that he got tired of watching journalist reviews . He wanted to review cars that he owns. I think the reason why Porsche offers so many variants is because people want a variety of flavors . Just like I picked PDK I also had to pick which variant . Had I not picked a GTS I would have been torn . Do I buy a Base Turbo so I don't feel bad about driving it daily ? Would I want a Turbo S and could I wrap my head around driving a expensive supercar to do silly errands ? Would I just get the Gt3 and have the purest 911 but know it cant be an every day car ? Your car would have been in the mix too. Do I opt for a recreational 911 with a Cab and manual ? Do I save money and just get a stripped down base car ? The T wasn't out when I bought my car and went through the process .

Almost every variant had something . Almost every choice had a flip side . Even color as ridiculous as it may sound was painstaking.
In the end we only get to choose one .

Registered
Part of why Pete began a youtube channel is that he got tired of watching journalist reviews . He wanted to review cars that he owns. I think the reason why Porsche offers so many variants is because people want a variety of flavors . Just like I picked PDK I also had to pick which variant . Had I not picked a GTS I would have been torn . Do I buy a Base Turbo so I don't feel bad about driving it daily ? Would I want a Turbo S and could I wrap my head around driving a expensive supercar to do silly errands ? Would I just get the Gt3 and have the purest 911 but know it cant be an every day car ? Your car would have been in the mix too. Do I opt for a recreational 911 with a Cab and manual ? Do I save money and just get a stripped down base car ? The T wasn't out when I bought my car and went through the process .

Almost every variant had something . Almost every choice had a flip side . Even color as ridiculous as it may sound was painstaking.
I wish I had a bigger garage or storage space!

Registered

Good thing the T wasn't out yet Larry cause I don't think you would've made it through! LOL! :p

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Good thing the T wasn't out yet Larry cause I don't think you would've made it through! LOL! :p
I love the T . I feel it鈥檚 the perfect entry level 911. In fact I would consider it the ideal first 911. I also think it will be sought after.. with only a year or two of production and being the only manual bass car at a reasonable price the car is a steal price wise . I would not over option it. I thought about that a lot I saw a lot of guys with the 991 version build the car that cost $135,000 at that time that was nearly a GTS price point things surely have changed.

I waited for the GTS. When the 992 launched I did not buy the car right away in May 2021. I decided to inquire about the GTS. It had not been announced yet, but I put a deposit anyway. It was announced in June. I had a feeling after they released the video. It would be any day so I kept watching the configurator. Then one night at 4 AM it was up by 9 AM, my first build was on the desk of my salesman. Mine was the first one on his desk.

Registered
I love the T . I feel it鈥檚 the perfect entry level 911. In fact I would consider it the ideal first 911. I also think it will be sought after.. with only a year or two of production and being the only manual bass car at a reasonable price the car is a steal price wise . I would not over option it. I thought about that a lot I saw a lot of guys with the 991 version build the car that cost $135,000 at that time that was nearly a GTS price point things surely have changed.

I waited for the GTS. When the 992 launched I did not buy the car right away in May 2021. I decided to inquire about the GTS. It had not been announced yet, but I put a deposit anyway. It was announced in June. I had a feeling after they released the video. It would be any day so I kept watching the configurator. Then one night at 4 AM it was up by 9 AM, my first build was on the desk of my salesman. Mine was the first one on his desk.
Love it!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts