Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member of this forum. I am about to order Carrera Coupe or Cabriolet. I am wondering whether the glass sunroof option on a Carrera, when open, might offer almost the same experience as the cabriolet. I know the cabriolet looks terrific, but the coupe isn't far behind. I would very much appreciate the advice of those who may have asked the same question themselves, and what choice they made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 911 on order and one of the things I did not want was the sunroof. The car I have now has a sunroof and I never use it. If it's hot outside I don't roll the windows down and open the sunroof, I simply enjoy a nice air-conditioned car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want a convertible experience (I'm a sunroof fan, I use my sunroof almost every day, weather permitting), I think you'll find the coupe with sunroof metal or glass not up to your expectations. It's not nearly the open-air drive that a cabriolet will deliver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a new member of this forum. I am about to order Carrera Coupe or Cabriolet. I am wondering whether the glass sunroof option on a Carrera, when open, might offer almost the same experience as the cabriolet. I know the cabriolet looks terrific, but the coupe isn't far behind. I would very much appreciate the advice of those who may have asked the same question themselves, and what choice they made.
If you want a convertible experience (I'm a sunroof fan, I use my sunroof almost every day, weather permitting), I think you'll find the coupe with sunroof metal or glass not up to your expectations. It's not nearly the open-air drive that a cabriolet will deliver.
Thank you for helping me with my decision. I have driven convertibles in the past, most recently an SLK55 AMG. I have always felt a little self conscious with the top down. For example, I would turn the music down at a stoplight, and have a feeling of being exposed as the SUV’s, pickup trucks etc. tower over me. I know it’s stupid of me, but that’s how I feel. But I do enjoy many other aspects of convertibles. That’s why I was wondering whether the large panoramic glass roof, ((and it’s opening) might afford some of the open, aural and breezy sensations while also offering a better feeling of privacy. am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have been talking about the Cabriolet, but have you considered the Targa? Again, not my cup of tea, I prefer a solid roof and a good air conditioner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have been talking about the Cabriolet, but have you considered the Targa? Again, not my cup of tea, I prefer a solid roof and a good air conditioner.
Yes Birman, I am considering the Targa. In speaking with my Porsche salesperson, allocation is a problem. Actually, allocation is a problem with everything except the base Carrera, with the Targa being especially problematic. But I agree with your implied suggestion of the Targa meeting some of the concern
s that I mentioned in an earlier post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a pretty small sun roof opening. I ordered the cabriolet as I wanted the roof off experience on a beautiful summer day. I love the looks of both the coupe and cab but you can't put the top down on a coupe. Wish I could afford 2 of them, I'd take one of each! Just thought I might regret not having the convertible. Happy with my choice

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a pretty small sun roof opening. I ordered the cabriolet as I wanted the roof off experience on a beautiful summer day. I love the looks of both the coupe and cab but you can't put the top down on a coupe. Wish I could afford 2 of them, I'd take one of each! Just thought I might regret not having the convertible. Happy with my choice
Thanks Diane, I couldn't get a confirmed allocation for a cab or Targa, but I did get one for January 2022 build on a Coupe. I think for me, its the right decision - but like you, I wish that I could have both!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 992 coupe has the glass sunroof.

I just measured the opening and it’s 11 1/2”D x 28”W (open air area). The glass doesn’t retract as far back as you think it would, or should.

When closed, the glass sunroof has a larger illumination footprint of 13”D x 28”, allowing more light into the cabin, which has an elegant glowing effect inside.

I never feel like I’m in a convertible when all the windows are down. I always feel I’m in a coupe with a semi-open experience. I guess it feels like I’m enjoying 50% of a convertible experience when it's opened up.

I recommend go test drive a coupe (sunroof or glass sunroof) and open it all up and see if it’s open enough for you. A coupe is definitely safer and that’s why I buy coupes. If you’re in Dallas you could come check mine out and we’ll go for a spin.
Vaughan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 992 coupe has the glass sunroof.

I just measured the opening and it’s 11 1/2”D x 28”W (open air area). The glass doesn’t retract as far back as you think it would, or should.

When closed, the glass sunroof has a larger illumination footprint of 13”D x 28”, allowing more light into the cabin, which has an elegant glowing effect inside.

I never feel like I’m in a convertible when all the windows are down. I always feel I’m in a coupe with a semi-open experience. I guess it feels like I’m enjoying 50% of a convertible experience when it's opened up.

I recommend go test drive a coupe (sunroof or glass sunroof) and open it all up and see if it’s open enough for you. A coupe is definitely safer and that’s why I buy coupes. If you’re in Dallas you could come check mine out and we’ll go for a spin.
Vaughan
Thank you Vaughan! So nice of you to offer a ride in your coupe! I have decided on the Coupe with the glass sunroof, but the cab is a looker for sure. Now, what color, that is the question!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for helping me with my decision. I have driven convertibles in the past, most recently an SLK55 AMG. I have always felt a little self conscious with the top down. For example, I would turn the music down at a stoplight, and have a feeling of being exposed as the SUV’s, pickup trucks etc. tower over me. I know it’s stupid of me, but that’s how I feel. But I do enjoy many other aspects of convertibles. That’s why I was wondering whether the large panoramic glass roof, ((and it’s opening) might afford some of the open, aural and breezy sensations while also offering a better feeling of privacy. am I overthinking this?
We all seem to overthink things Porsche. Not sure but you may lose some space with the cab. I intend to use the back seat for two sets of clubs with seat down. It can be done. Good luck with your decision and whatever you decide, it will be great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the Cab and ordered a 22 Targa4s and it is in port in Jacksonville. This time around I did not want a full drop or a sunroof so I compromised with the Targa top can't wait to drive it when in as it is on port hold for another three weeks. Anyone else have a 22 coming in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for helping me with my decision. I have driven convertibles in the past, most recently an SLK55 AMG. I have always felt a little self conscious with the top down. For example, I would turn the music down at a stoplight, and have a feeling of being exposed as the SUV’s, pickup trucks etc. tower over me. I know it’s stupid of me, but that’s how I feel. But I do enjoy many other aspects of convertibles. That’s why I was wondering whether the large panoramic glass roof, ((and it’s opening) might afford some of the open, aural and breezy sensations while also offering a better feeling of privacy. am I overthinking

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same thought process having had four boxsters and now a C4S with a glass sunroof. It is not bad at all. I use the sunroof often. The car is solid as a brick and having been in an accident where an Amazon delivery van wound up on the roof of our X5 I feel much safer. Had my wife and I been in the Boxster that day she would have been dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a XKR Cabriolet that I enjoyed very much, but I must say that I opted for the glass sunroof in my C2S configuration, cause I felt that I would profit from the use the open sunroof more often than the cabrio.
I now see that I was right. Most of the times I drive with the sunroof open (weather permitting, i.e., not raining), in contrast with the XKR case, where I had to choose many times
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant
a top-up and wished I had a sun-roof...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beautiful car! Those Spyder wheels look great with Agate. I have decided on the coupe with glass sunroof. Now, what color??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just actually bought a new 911 Carrera S
Convertible with a standard it’s actually my second one the first one I got used with 800 miles the only way to go is a standard with a convertible nothing can match that no sunroof my opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light
I just actually bought a new 911 Carrera S
Convertible with a standard it’s actually my second one the first one I got used with 800 miles the only way to go is a standard with a convertible nothing can match that no sunroof my opinion

1 - 18 of 18 Posts