Porsche 992 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having finally made up my mind to move from my Macan family vehicle to a selfish 2 seater, I can't make my mind up whether to buy the 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive Carerra. I know I don't want the S, but will the wet mode be sufficient to ensure I can still have fun on the wet roads that we frequently face in the UK and also provide me the confidence that my partner won't end up in a ditch. Grateful for any thoughts on members who went down the C4 route. Irrespective, it's going be a long year wait for delivery!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having finally made up my mind to move from my Macan family vehicle to a selfish 2 seater, I can't make my mind up whether to buy the 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive Carerra. I know I don't want the S, but will the wet mode be sufficient to ensure I can still have fun on the wet roads that we frequently face in the UK and also provide me the confidence that my partner won't end up in a ditch. Grateful for any thoughts on members who went down the C4 route. Irrespective, it's going be a long year wait for delivery!
Welcome to the forum @Glynn Johns! Personally I like the feeling of 4 wheel drive but it's really a personal choice. Might be best to set up some test drives if possible to see for yourself. What convinced you to move on from your Macan?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum @Glynn Johns! Personally I like the feeling of 4 wheel drive but it's really a personal choice. Might be best to set up some test drives if possible to see for yourself. What convinced you to move on from your Macan?
Thank you for the welcome and your opinion, which I admit chimes with mine. The 911 Porsche Sheffield provided for a test drive was a 4S, with the 4 wheel drive giving me more confidence to explore the car's capability. I haven't found a relatively local dealer with a 2C or 4C available to test drive. Interestingly, I had set out on the day thinking I would come away with a Cayman 718S, but I found that the driving experience was huge between this vehicle and the C, along with a huge difference in the price tag - but you're long time dead, so here I am.
I loved the Macan (diesel), but working away for a couple of years meant it wasn't economically sensible to store for that period of time. I did think about going back to the Macan (GTS), but I feel as though I've ticked that box and it's time to enjoy a super (sports) car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the welcome and your opinion, which I admit chimes with mine. The 911 Porsche Sheffield provided for a test drive was a 4S, with the 4 wheel drive giving me more confidence to explore the car's capability. I haven't found a relatively local dealer with a 2C or 4C available to test drive. Interestingly, I had set out on the day thinking I would come away with a Cayman 718S, but I found that the driving experience was huge between this vehicle and the C, along with a huge difference in the price tag - but you're long time dead, so here I am.
I loved the Macan (diesel), but working away for a couple of years meant it wasn't economically sensible to store for that period of time. I did think about going back to the Macan (GTS), but I feel as though I've ticked that box and it's time to enjoy a super (sports) car.
The discernible difference between the 2 and 4 wheel drive cars occurs in snowy and icy conditions, primarily in accelerating from a stop. If you are anticipating driving very fast and hard in a pelting rain, then the all wheel drive car has a small advantage-- but one shouldn't be pushing the car in these conditions to begin with. The wet mode ramps up the safety features of the car, and reduces the torque of the engine, and this is supposed to work well-- but it won't prevent hydroplaning, which is the biggest risk in driving aggressively on very wet roads. For most, the 2 wheel drive 992 is capable far beyond the envelope that people drive in on public roads, and it has the advantage of lower price, more communicative steering, and lighter weight. Either car will not disappoint, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts