Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so the Porsche Dealership down the block from me has an allocation for January for a base model 911 cpe which I can spec to my liking, for $5000 above MSRP. He says I could get it as early as Febuary, does this sound sketchy? People are telling me that there's no way anyone could get a custom built Porsche in a matter of months like that.. What do you guys think about this?
Also, given the climate of the market at the moment (the fact that used 911's are apparently selling for more than new ones) does this seem like something I should jump on?

Also if someone wants to weigh in their opinion on if the prices for 911's are likely to cool off soon, feel free.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hey guys, so the Porsche Dealership down the block from me has an allocation for January for a base model 911 cpe which I can spec to my liking, for $5000 above MSRP. He says I could get it as early as Febuary, does this sound sketchy? People are telling me that there's no way anyone could get a custom built Porsche in a matter of months like that.. What do you guys think about this?
Also, given the climate of the market at the moment (the fact that used 911's are apparently selling for more than new ones) does this seem like something I should jump on?

Also if someone wants to weigh in their opinion on if the prices for 911's are likely to cool off soon, feel free.
Welcome to the Forum @Migro.

We agree that offer and demand usually dictates the market. That said, I just can’t accept any ADM. Guess it’s easy for me to say since it’s not legal in Canada. LOL!

Most dealers have "demand order" lists and no allocations to give. Is it the case or would you get a confirmed allocation-build date? A « small » ADM could be fine for you in order not to wait while someone else would just step aside. I personally think your dealer is just trying his luck.

A year ago I would’ve told you to take the offer without any hesitation because the wait was just so long. Believe me, I know too well. Now, I’m not so sure, especially for a base 911, not a T or a GTS. Call me an optimist but I believe that the supply chain issues will get better by early 2023 and things will be closer to normal by next summer. Unfortunately, no one has a crystal ball on these wait times.

@yrralis1 can confirm that CPO prices are going down, sometimes 30K less on GTS models compared to 12 months ago.

Finally, I think 8-10 weeks seems like a more realistic goal between freeze date and delivery, but it really depends on how many custom items you put into your build because those can cause delays.

Curious to read others on the Forum. ADM or no ADM that is the question. In the end, it’ll be your call.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

It is possible . My guess is that someone backed out of a deal on a car that hasn't locked yet. Back in the old days dealerships had a pile of allocations and they built cars for their own lot . If person wanted to order a car they simply changed the configuration . Its very easy for them to change a red car to a white car along with all the options . It just has to be in the system before the deadline (freeze date ) . Sometimes cars lock early so you will have to finalize it quickly .

Prices have softened but I saw the post on GTS prices . Thats a different market . It was a new trim and dealerships were asking crazy money for it .

I hate ADMs . Unlike a used car or a new car in house they don't have the car . "February " is an estimated date and subject to change . I have received cars early as well as been delayed . There are some dealerships pressuring customers to buy "wheel and tire" package , maintenance plan , or even finance with PFS .

You could negotiate the ADM and say "2500 and no add ons " . Thats meeting half way . How badly do you want a base 911 ?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It is possible . My guess is that someone backed out of a deal on a car that hasn't locked yet. Back in the old days dealerships had a pile of allocations and they built cars for their own lot . If person wanted to order a car they simply changed the configuration . Its very easy for them to change a red car to a white car along with all the options . It just has to be in the system before the deadline (freeze date ) . Sometimes cars lock early so you will have to finalize it quickly .

Prices have softened but I saw the post on GTS prices . Thats a different market . It was a new trim and dealerships were asking crazy money for it .

I hate ADMs . Unlike a used car or a new car in house they don't have the car . "February " is an estimated date and subject to change . I have received cars early as well as been delayed . There are some dealerships pressuring customers to buy "wheel and tire" package , maintenance plan , or even finance with PFS .

You could negotiate the ADM and say "2500 and no add ons " . Thats meeting half way . How badly do you want a base 911 ?
Hello Migro, It does seem unrealistic on the time they quoted you unless Larry is correct. Meaning car was already close or complete. My dealer still tells me 24 month wait on a 911…best of luck.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hello Migro, It does seem unrealistic on the time they quoted you unless Larry is correct. Meaning car was already close or complete. My dealer still tells me 24 month wait on a 911…best of luck.
I have a friend who was given 4 days to a lock date . He ended up giving up the slot . It was just too much dropped on him unexpectedly .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Had a nightmare last night about my own agonizing waiting period. Woke up in sweats and with deep thoughts. 🤪

Life is short. Lost a 59 year old colleague just recently. You could be driving your special 911 soon. If it’s your dream car, you can afford it, and you want it now, get it.

Live for today! After all, we’re not talking 20-30% over.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Had a nightmare last night about my own agonizing waiting period. Woke up in sweats and with deep thoughts. 🤪

Life is short. Lost a 59 year old colleague just recently. You could be driving your special 911 soon. If it’s your dream car, you can afford it, and you want it now, get it.

Keep the good thoughts Prince Charles….that’s why I don’t mind the 8K on the clock. Life is short and I have enjoyed every mile!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello everyone thank you for the replies. Someone had mentioned to me the dealer is BSing because he thinks that timeframe is impossible and the dealer is likely trying to get me to commit to “sunk cost fallacy” when it takes longer to show up. Not sure if this could be true or not. This dealership and specific dealer have very good reviews. Also, while the market is likely to keep cooling yes, does that mean Porsche may lower their MSRP? Or does that never happen. Because if not, I’m really weighing the options if it’s even worth it to wait for CPO prices to drop to slightly below the price of just buying new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sorry to hear that. Maybe this is the positive attitude I need haha

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello everyone thank you for the replies. Someone had mentioned to me the dealer is BSing because he thinks that timeframe is impossible and the dealer is likely trying to get me to commit to “sunk cost fallacy” when it takes longer to show up. Not sure if this could be true or not. This dealership and specific dealer have very good reviews. Also, while the market is likely to keep cooling yes, does that mean Porsche may lower their MSRP? Or does that never happen. Because if not, I’m really weighing the options if it’s even worth it to wait for CPO prices to drop to slightly below the price of just buying new.
You may be overthinking the decision. Then again, I changed my mind between my first and second answer to your question! LOL! What a nightmare can do.

You're offered to skip the line with a slot and a build date for a 911 that you can spec exactly like you wish...but for a "smal" markup. You can certainly stand on principle like I first suggested (which I would respect) and wait for a MSRP deal. But wouldn't you rather spend the next year driving a 911 than not, if the ADM was a price you're willing to pay to do that. Don't forget that this ADM is a line in the sand that you may negociate as @yrralis1 suggested.

I don't understand the "sunk cost fallacy" unless the dealer doesn't really have an allocation and your deposit is not refundable. Doesn't look that way.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The dealership is very important. There are dealerships that made empty promises just to collect deposits from people. That doesn’t sound like your case. Important question that you have to ask is when does this car lock? When I put my deposit I was sent a paper with my salesman‘s name, my name as the customer, and estimated freeze point, and an estimated delivery. In my specific case the original delivery was March 11. I got the car April 4. There have been times where I’ve gotten them earlier. My dealership is a standup dealership though . If they can show you in their system when this car locks in estimated delivery then you’re all good. It doesn’t mean it’s something can’t delay it .

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The dealership is very important. There are dealerships that made empty promises just to collect deposits from people. That doesn’t sound like your case. Important question that you have to ask is when does this car lock? When I put my deposit I was sent a paper with my salesman‘s name, my name as the customer, and estimated freeze point, and an estimated delivery. In my specific case the original delivery was March 11. I got the car April 4. There have been times where I’ve gotten them earlier. My dealership is a standup dealership though . If they can show you in their system when this car locks in estimated delivery then you’re all good. It doesn’t mean it’s something can’t delay it .
So true Larry that the Dealership and the relationship is so IMPORTANT. My dealer is a place you can just hang out and shoot the [email protected]@t and have a coffee. I’ll pop in and bring donuts just to say hello.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So true Larry that the Dealership and the relationship is so IMPORTANT. My dealer is a place you can just hang out and shoot the [email protected]@t and have a coffee. I’ll pop in and bring donuts just to say hello.
Bobby there are some people that don’t understand that. They feel it’s just pure business and the car goes to the highest bidder. There are some dealerships that are like that. There’s some extent it is a business relationship. however, when you buy your first car 30 years ago and overtime grow old together . The Porsche community may seem like it’s very large but it isn’t. 35 years ago I had a Nissan and the guy head that helped me modify it ended up bumping into me as the service Director when one of the other Porsche dealerships. When I was in my 20s I was a teacher . One of my former students is in charge of the loaner cars at my dealership it is 40s. In many ways a dealership is part of your community. Like I said though some people don’t get it and it makes it very hard to digest if a dealership is charging an ADM. Bobby just like our relationship with dealerships is favorable I know someone who felt the way that we did until they hit him with a dealership mark up. It ruined his 30 year relationship with the dealership and he decided not to buy the car.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Bobby there are some people that don’t understand that. They feel it’s just pure business and the car goes to the highest bidder. There are some dealerships that are like that. There’s some extent it is a business relationship. however, when you buy your first car 30 years ago and overtime grow old together . The Porsche community may seem like it’s very large but it isn’t. 35 years ago I had a Nissan and the guy head that helped me modify it ended up bumping into me as the service Director when one of the other Porsche dealerships. When I was in my 20s I was a teacher . One of my former students is in charge of the loaner cars at my dealership it is 40s. In many ways a dealership is part of your community. Like I said though some people don’t get it and it makes it very hard to digest if a dealership is charging an ADM. Bobby just like our relationship with dealerships is favorable I know someone who felt the way that we did until they hit him with a dealership mark up. It ruined his 30 year relationship with the dealership and he decided not to buy the car.
Thats a shame because I still believe people are good until one gets burned. When greed takes over it ends sacred trust and simple integrity which sadly I believe is dead or dying. For example, I do have a Porsche dealership 20 minutes from my home in Lancaster Pa who burned me twice and I will NEVER go back. I now drive 60 miles to Porsche Mechanicsburg and I am always greeted with a smile and a sincere, “hows the family.” Speaks volumes to myself and their customers.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
On a lighter note @Migro, have you played with the configurator yet and can you share your build? Be sure we will be supportive and give sound advice, unless you spec racing yellow for a color! 🤪😂

You will also be praised if you plan to replace the stock orange side markers with clear ones! LOL! Sorry guys, couldn’t help myself.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
On a lighter note @Migro, have you played with the configurator yet and can you share your build? Be sure we will be supportive and give sound advice, unless you spec racing yellow for a color! 🤪😂

You will also be praised if you plan to replace the stock orange side markers with clear ones! LOL! Sorry guys, couldn’t help myself.
Can’t you let Larry and I have a moment for once to discuss how the man is always bringing us down! Bring on the damn build so we can discuss it already!

·
Registered
58 Posts

That sounds a bit too quick. If they meant the car will be built in January, then a Feb delivery is possible. Ask to see the current build sheet, if the car hasn't hit the freeze point. I picked up an active 911 allocation this past June, it was 3 weeks away from the freeze point. I took delivery of the car October 14. That's a real example of a time frame.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts