Porsche 992 Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Terrestrial plant Font Screenshot Darkness

Well this is the dealer's last text to me. I had gone to meet him and test drive the car, and I loved it, but I can't help but feel like I'd be getting taken advantage of if I pay this ADM for a base Carrera... he's telling me usually they charge $10,000 ADM for a base but he's trying to "make a point" to his associates and selling it for $5,000 ADM (I smell BS). I keep hearing of people getting base allocations at MSRP, so I don't know why this extra $2500 is a make or beak for him.. sucks

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Woh sorry I didn't realize the screenshot would post that large..
Migro, tell him to go scratch and hold your ground…..that’s BS. I actually paid 6% less than the build price. Ordered the car and they discounted it upon delivery and I was a new customer. Only bought one car prior 7 years prior so find another dealer. Just my opinion of course. If the talking heads are correct and the full blown recession is coming he will have more cars that he cant get rid of In 2023. Greedy SOB!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Migro, tell him to go scratch and hold your ground…..that’s BS. I actually paid 6% less than the build price. Ordered the car and they discounted it upon delivery and I was a new customer. Only bought one car prior 7 years prior so find another dealer. Just my opinion of course. If the talking heads are correct and the full blown recession is coming he will have more cars that he cant get rid of In 2023. Greedy SOB!
I agree.
When did you order your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You didn’t say what state you were in. California seems to be the toughest state if that’s where you are.

Call a few dealerships, see if they have any cars on the ground, offer them MSRP. See what happens.
I'm in new york. I've called all the dealerships within a 100 mile radius of me with no luck

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'm in new york. I've called all the dealerships within a 100 mile radius of me with no luck
Migro, I ordered my 992 last October and took delivery this past Mach. These dealers are greedy. If you don‘t care about the money go for it but your example is ridiculous at this point when prices are slowly decreasing.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I already had a nightmare about you remember :p (see above). I think that the state/region you're shopping in is going to make quite the difference on what your answer is going to be, if you want a car, and its available to you for a "small" ADM. If you want it, buy it and enjoy it and don't put principles to having fun, which is a subjective, irrational emotion.

On RL: "It also depends how old you are. If you're 80, go for it. Stretch and get the car you want. Life is short. Literally, if you're 80. If you're 20, wait. Life is short. But not that short. For some, that ADM might mean one less week at the place in Martha's Vineyard. For others, that may mean weeks of Ramen between pay checks."

Finally, easy for us to stand on principle when we already have our dream cars!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I already had a nightmare about you remember (see above). I think that the state/region you're shopping in is going to make quite the difference on what your answer is going to be, if you want a car, and its available to you for a "small" ADM. If you want it, buy it and enjoy it and don't put principles to having fun, which is a subjective, irrational emotion.

On RL: "It also depends how old you are. If you're 80, go for it. Stretch and get the car you want. Life is short. Literally, if you're 80. If you're 20, wait. Life is short. But not that short. For some, that ADM might mean one less week at the place in Martha's Vineyard. For others, that may mean weeks of Ramen between pay checks."

Finally, easy for us to stand on principle when we already have our dream cars!
Well said Prince Charles….cheers! 🥃

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Well said Prince Charles….cheers! 🥃
Bobby - we’re all giving opinons but ultimately it’s such a personal decision. Most people paying ADM’s know that it’s just a price you pay because you want it now. They realize they probably won’t get it back.

Bottom line, would I pay 5K on a 150k-200k car in order not to wait 2 years like I had to do? Hell yeah! I just wouldn’t tell my wife! (or anybody else). 😜 LOL!

Good thing we don’t have ADMs in Canada. We just need lots of patience…and good friends on this Forum! 😉

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Bobby - we’re all giving opinons but ultimately it’s such a personal decision. Most people paying ADM’s know that it’s just a price you pay because you want it now. They realize they probably won’t get it back.

Bottom line, would I pay 5K on a 150k-200k car in order not to wait 2 years like I had to do? Hell yeah! I just wouldn’t tell my wife! (or anybody else). 😜 LOL!

Good thing we don’t have ADMs in Canada. We just need lots of patience…and good friends on this Forum! 😉
I know someone who has gotten it back. He bought a turbo S for 25K over and traded it back to a different dealership for 25K over on a new one that he paid 30 K over. I joked with him as though he’s trading bitcoin. I won’t play that game. His response is that I would not have a turbo S and a paint sample color. The truth is you could buy a GT car or a turbo S for 100 K over sticker right now. I think it’s crazy. I won’t do it. There’s no car that I care about that much to pay that kind of money for . I know someone else who is VIP. They want to mark up on Macan for him. He negotiated the fee down to $2500. It bothered him so much he walked from the deal. That is what the dealership loses by doing this. They lose customer loyalty. It’s true that if they get a $100,000 bonus on a car that is more commission and they making a regular buyer purchasing several cars. It’s a one time deal but I want no part of it. If I had to pay a markup it would have to be on a car that was already on the ground . That is a little different in that it’s a convenience fee more than a markup but even then it’s bothersome.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

I may need to use your home address on my next order then!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I know someone who has gotten it back. He bought a turbo S for 25K over and traded it back to a different dealership for 25K over on a new one that he paid 30 K over. I joked with him as though he’s trading bitcoin. I won’t play that game. His response is that I would not have a turbo S and a paint sample color. The truth is you could buy a GT car or a turbo S for 100 K over sticker right now. I think it’s crazy. I won’t do it. There’s no car that I care about that much to pay that kind of money for . I know someone else who is VIP. They want to mark up on Macan for him. He negotiated the fee down to $2500. It bothered him so much he walked from the deal. That is what the dealership loses by doing this. They lose customer loyalty. It’s true that if they get a $100,000 bonus on a car that is more commission and they making a regular buyer purchasing several cars. It’s a one time deal but I want no part of it. If I had to pay a markup it would have to be on a car that was already on the ground . That is a little different in that it’s a convenience fee more than a markup but even then it’s bothersome.
Good point Larry but right now there are no cars on the ground and a CPO will fetch more than 5K over MSRP. Lucky if we have a nice ride while we wait but if someone traded early like I did or if you fear your arthritis will get worse in the next 2 years, maybe you would consider putting principles aside. We’re not talking 20K, 30K or 50K ADM like we’ve seen recently on other models.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Good point Larry but right now there are no cars on the ground and a CPO will fetch more than 5K over MSRP. Lucky if we have a nice ride while we wait but if someone traded early like I did or if you fear your arthritis will get worse in the next 2 years, maybe you would consider putting principles aside. We’re not talking 20K, 30K or 50K ADM like we’ve seen recently on other models.
A car in the ground is a different circumstance . For instance anyone buying a classic Porsche pays way over MSRP for a used car. It's market price . I paid ADM one time and it was for the first BMW E39 M5 . I regret it to this day . I did get the money back and was given MSRP 3 months later , Thats right , I did not keep the car . It was not an ordered car though . At least that car was on the ground and it was the first one in Miami. Never again . Traded it on a 996.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A car in the ground is a different circumstance . For instance anyone buying a classic Porsche pays way over MSRP for a used car. It's market price . I paid ADM one time and it was for the first BMW E39 M5 . I regret it to this day . I did get the money back and was given MSRP 3 months later , Thats right , I did not keep the car . It was not an ordered car though . At least that car was on the ground and it was the first one in Miami. Never again . Traded it on a 996.
Pontiff, glad you saw the light on the Porsche side…I did own a few bimmers too! 🙏👀

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Pontiff, glad you saw the light on the Porsche side…I did own a few bimmers too! 🙏👀
I have owned over 25 BMWs. They were mostly second cars which sat beside my 911 . They were driven by ex wives and girlfriends of the past and even my current wife had to M 3 . I like having a BMW because it offered that practical component if we needed it. What they lacked was the refinement that I find in Porsche. In recent times they grew very unattractive. It started around 2002 when Chris Bangle designed the 7 series . More recently the new M3 and M4 are hideous looking even though I am told they drive beautifully. I can’t get past that front facia.

The thing that ended it with Bmw for me was my 2011 competition package E 92. I felt the gearbox had an I’ll positioned lever . It was also very sloppy with odd spacing and saw blown away by what Porsche had at that time. At the same time my wife really enjoyed her first SUV. It was a cayenne. Since that time she has truly enjoyed Porsches SUVs. I drove them more in the beginning but now I always grab the key for the 911.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts