Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I am not an audiophile. I listen to music but I also listen to talk radio or nothing at all. My 992 has Bose and so has every other 911 before it . The same can be said with my former Boxster , Macans , and Cayenne . Bose isn't great but is adequate for my purposes.

In contrast I have also heard the factory system . It used ro be absolutely horrible . I recall in 2005 it reminded me of aa 1970's transistor radio in a 997 I test drove . Over the years the Macan loaners and even one Panamera had the factory and it has improved . Its a cut below Bose but for 900 bucks in Porschelandia I dont expect much .

I would always see the price of Burmester and it was an instant dealbreaker . I dont even have a stereo in my house anymore . This was something I outgrew like watching cartoons in childhood , I dont have any desire to play music in my house . In the rare moments I want to hear a song I pull up youtube and listen on my Mac .

So when I spec'd my Macan I chose Bose like always . When I posted the link of my build on Macan Forum guys started asking "no Bose " ? At first I thought they overlooked it because I know I did put it on. my build . It was there , the salmon saw it, I saw it and now its vanished . Well Porsche took it off my build because there is a stop sale on all Bose until January . I dont know if this only applies to the Macan but I would be nervous with any model order . They took it off and did not notify me or the dealership . Had it not been for the members of that forum I would have gotten a car with the factory system .

So this morning I texted my sales guy to please try and add Bose , Porsche rejected the addition and pushed my entire build to 2023 (January lock ) . I asked the sales guy and GM "lets try and input Burmester " and it accepted the order . I am getting the Burmester !!

Now I have no idea how to subscribe to some type of high definition site ro actually enjoy it to its fullest yet . I also wanted to hear if any of you have even heard it . I never have ,

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Let me start by saying I am not an audiophile. I listen to music but I also listen to talk radio or nothing at all. My 992 has Bose and so has every other 911 before it . The same can be said with my former Boxster , Macans , and Cayenne . Bose isn't great but is adequate for my purposes.

In contrast I have also heard the factory system . It used ro be absolutely horrible . I recall in 2005 it reminded me of aa 1970's transistor radio in a 997 I test drove . Over the years the Macan loaners and even one Panamera had the factory and it has improved . Its a cut below Bose but for 900 bucks in Porschelandia I dont expect much .

I would always see the price of Burmester and it was an instant dealbreaker . I dont even have a stereo in my house anymore . This was something I outgrew like watching cartoons in childhood , I dont have any desire to play music in my house . In the rare moments I want to hear a song I pull up youtube and listen on my Mac .

So when I spec'd my Macan I chose Bose like always . When I posted the link of my build on Macan Forum guys started asking "no Bose " ? At first I thought they overlooked it because I know I did put it on. my build . It was there , the salmon saw it, I saw it and now its vanished . Well Porsche took it off my build because there is a stop sale on all Bose until January . I dont know if this only applies to the Macan but I would be nervous with any model order . They took it off and did not notify me or the dealership . Had it not been for the members of that forum I would have gotten a car with the factory system .

So this morning I texted my sales guy to please try and add Bose , Porsche rejected the addition and pushed my entire build to 2023 (January lock ) . I asked the sales guy and GM "lets try and input Burmester " and it accepted the order . I am getting the Burmester !!

Now I have no idea how to subscribe to some type of high definition site ro actually enjoy it to its fullest yet . I also wanted to hear if any of you have even heard it . I never have ,
Larry, Thats a crazy story and I had a transistor radio as a kid…wow! Anyway, my neighbor “pushed” me for the Burmestor but price stopped me. He has it in his Spyder and its clearly a few steps above. I’m really into music and consider myself to have a good ear but if your not into music you wont care. However, I personally think you will LUUUUUUV the sounds that come out of it. I’m jealous!

·
Registered
799 Posts

Dear music lover. ;) Considering everything you said, I will play devil's advocate and say that the std system would probably be plenty for you. The Macan is a very quiet car on the road and apparently the std system was upgraded and is very good. That said I haven't heard it cause like you I've always had Bose.

Ideally, you would have to try all options but like everything else these days, we have to buy blind....and deaf!

Now, like Bobby, I'm also jealous! LOL!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dear music lover. ;) Considering everything you said, I will play devil's advocate and say that the std system would probably be plenty for you. The Macan is a very quiet car on the road and apparently the std system was upgraded and is very good. That said I haven't heard it cause like you I've always had Bose.

Ideally, you would have to try all options but like everything else these days, we have to buy blind....and deaf!

Good points CH, didn’t realize the standard system was upgraded!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I've heard the standard system in many loaner cars . My last loaner in fact was a 22 Macan , The GTS is not quiet . I have road footage from a friend on Macan Forum and its an awesome sound. His POV video is better than anything on your tube and was what led me to trade my 2020 Turbo. Third Gen car is greatly improved .

Bose has always been sufficient . Much like Bobby the price has always been the deal breaker . I don't mind spending 10K on PCCB on a 911 but a radio ? Even on a Macan ? Now I have read that there is a streaming service called Tidal that once subscribed offers high definition music selection geared to the Burmester . Its a door I never opened so it is a new thing .. along with chalk .
I wont go with no unprade on a 110K car.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've heard the standard system in many loaner cars . My last loaner in fact was a 22 Macan , The GTS is not quiet . I have road footage from a friend on Macan Forum and its an awesome sound. His POV video is better than anything on your tube and was what led me to trade my 2020 Turbo. Third Gen car is greatly improved .

Bose has always been sufficient . Much like Bobby the price has always been the deal breaker . I don't mind spending 10K on PCCB on a 911 but a radio ? Even on a Macan ? Now I have read that there is a streaming service called Tidal that once subscribed offers high definition music selection geared to the Burmester . Its a door I never opened so it is a new thing .. along with chalk .
If money was no option I would upgrade. However, don’t think I would even consider it in a 911 because I LOVE to hear the motor and exhaust sound. I would consider it in a Macan if I drove it every day.

·
Registered
799 Posts

You’re right about the « no unprade on a 110K car ». So this is what I would do if I had a MY20 Macan already in my driveway: wait till January, get the Bose and with the cash I saved buy a very nice Home Audio System!

But you know I’m just jealous. Just promise to let us know how the Burm sounds like.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You’re right about the « no unprade on a 110K car ». So this is what I would do if I had a MY20 Macan already in my driveway: wait till January, get the Bose and with the cash I saved buy a very nice Home Audio System!

But you know I’m just jealous. Just promise to let us know how the Burm sounds like.
If I wait to January they may have Bose but lack something else . Thats what anyone ordering is up against . Plus my trade will be worth less and I lose 3 months with the new car . That 5 grand would go into that loss in trade , time , and the unknown of what's next . One has to strike while the oven is hot .

·
Registered
799 Posts
If I wait to January they may have Bose but lack something else . Thats what anyone ordering is up against . Plus my trade will be worth less and I lose 3 months with the new car . That 5 grand would go into that loss in trade , time , and the unknown of what's next . One has to strike while the oven is hot .
Go for it Larry! I’ll follow you on the Macan Forum and here if you keep us posted. All this is very exciting. You might have one of the last combustion engine Macan. And it’ll be with that GTS engine. The old Turbo engine. You know what I mean.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go for it Larry! I’ll follow you on the Macan Forum and here if you keep us posted. All this is very exciting. You might have one of the last combustion engine Macan. And it’ll be with that GTS engine. The old Turbo engine. You know what I mean.
It is the same engine but is throttle mapped to GTS spec. Exhaust note is also more noticeable which was a complaint of the second GEN. The PSCB are less grabby . Suspension is lower and tweaked. PCM is upgraded. In every way this is a better car than the last generation. When they threw a trade in number that was a tractive I bit.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It is the same engine but is throttle mapped to GTS spec. Exhaust note is also more noticeable which was a complaint of the second GEN. The PSCB are less grabby . Suspension is lower and tweaked. PCM is upgraded. In every way this is a better car than the last generation. When they threw a trade in number that was a tractive I bit.
In the present market, your dealer will probably make a 20K profit on your 2020 Macan Turbo. That's why he loves you so much! LOL!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the present market, your dealer will probably make a 20K profit on your 2020 Macan Turbo. That's why he loves you so much! LOL!
They have told me point blank to my face that they will make money on my trade in the car. They have so few cars that the only way they are making money is on used cars. Macan is a higher volume car but even that is scarce. They only had one new car on the showroom floor. 200+ thousand Panamera Turismo turbo . Everything else was used.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
They have told me point blank to my face that they will make money on my trade in the car. They have so few cars that the only way they are making money is on used cars. Macan is a higher volume car but even that is scarce. They only had one new car on the showroom floor. 200+ thousand Panamera Turismo turbo . Everything else was used.
Plus the more optioned your new one is you will get more for it on trade down the road If you need to sell/trade it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My dealer tried very hard to convince me to trade my macan in when buying my 911. He already had a local customer for it. Price was very attractive with 14k miles on it. I was already set on trading in the mb, plus it feels cool to have three P cars😜.

As for the sound system….my take is this. If you love music, listen to specific music like classical in order to pick out specific instruments and how they are played by ingenious musicians. Listen to it loud in order to do so, spend a lot of time in your car (in traffic or highway) where you can actually concentrate on the music you are playing. Then get the better system.
I bet 99% of the time you will be driving the Macan with music turned down to a just “normal” level/decibel where you can think/concentrate on other things like helping that stray…….

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My dealer tried very hard to convince me to trade my macan in when buying my 911. He already had a local customer for it. Price was very attractive with 14k miles on it. I was already set on trading in the mb, plus it feels cool to have three P cars😜.

As for the sound system….my take is this. If you love music, listen to specific music like classical in order to pick out specific instruments and how they are played by ingenious musicians. Listen to it loud in order to do so, spend a lot of time in your car (in traffic or highway) where you can actually concentrate on the music you are playing. Then get the better system.
I bet 99% of the time you will be driving the Macan with music turned down to a just “normal” level/decibel where you can think/concentrate on other things like helping that stray…….
Pretty much spot on.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think we all agree that Larry doesn't NEED a Burmeister sound system (even him). His point was the "incongruity" of having a standard audio in a Macan GTS. So basically, he's thinking of the next owner and Bobby is considering the eventual trade in.

It's interesting because I don't think you will recuperate that expense when you trade back, as for most options. The next guy will probably take advantage of the upgrade more than Larry! Maybe Bobby! LOL!

But the decision is taken and we can't wait to read Larry's musical review of the Burmeister. ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think we all agree that Larry doesn't NEED a Burmeister sound system (even him). His point was the "incongruity" of having a standard audio in a Macan GTS. So basically, he's thinking of the next owner and Bobby is considering the eventual trade in.

It's interesting because I don't think you will recuperate that expense when you trade back, as for most options. The next guy will probably take advantage of the upgrade more than Larry! Maybe Bobby! LOL!

But the decision is taken and we can't wait to read Larry's musical review of the Burmeister. ;)
I like how you’re always thinking of me! I’ll take it come first snowfall!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Plus the more optioned your new one is you will get more for it on trade down the road If you need to sell/trade it.
IMO Options depreciate to almost nothing as soon as you drive the car off the lot. (especially the cosmetic stuff). That's why if someone is looking for the best resale value, a stripper base is the way to go. One way to confirm it is to search 4 year old cars for sale and take a look at what options they have and see the difference in prices on those. But why buy the car for the next guy?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts