Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this place awhile back and decided to join . I have been a long time Porsche owner and have a GTS ordered , locked , and now expected April 15 . I traded in my 991.2 GTS last week as an early trade and am driving my garage queen (a 2007 modded 997.1 Turbo ) as I wait . I post on the Macan Forum as well as my wife drives a 2020 Macan Turbo .

I am very excited about this car . I put a deposit down before the car was even announced and this has been the longest , drawn out wait for a car that I have ever faced . Some people love the process but it has worn me out . It began with weeks on the configurator and graduated to waiting for that allocation slot . Once conformed my car locked early but as time elapsed the delivery date changed a bit . I was originally expecting the car in March but today was notified that its April .

Glad to be here .

Here is my build . I can't wait !
PNHTE7N1
The Porsche Code

·
Registered
606 Posts
I found this place awhile back and decided to join . I have been a long time Porsche owner and have a GTS ordered , locked , and now expected April 15 . I traded in my 991.2 GTS last week as an early trade and am driving my garage queen (a 2007 modded 997.1 Turbo ) as I wait . I post on the Macan Forum as well as my wife drives a 2020 Macan Turbo .

I am very excited about this car . I put a deposit down before the car was even announced and this has been the longest , drawn out wait for a car that I have ever faced . Some people love the process but it has worn me out . It began with weeks on the configurator and graduated to waiting for that allocation slot . Once conformed my car locked early but as time elapsed the delivery date changed a bit . I was originally expecting the car in March but today was notified that its April .

Glad to be here .

Here is my build . I can't wait !
PNHTE7N1
The Porsche Code
Welcome @yarralis1 and congrats on your 992 GTS! Great build (although I'm more of a three pedal guy). Always enjoyed your posts (over 12K of them I think!) on the Macan Forum and hope to read your comments on the eighth gen 911. I still have a Macan S MY17 that I love to drive in winter here in Montreal but this will be my first 911...if and when I can get my allocation. After 2 Boxsters, moving up to the iconic 911 is very exciting...before it becomes hybrid! :(

That said, my experience with Porsche hasn't been very positive this time considering the lack of communication (see other posts) during this excruciating and very loooong waiting period! May I ask how long you had to wait between your order and your confirmed allocation/build date?

The 992 community is still very small with only 700 members in this Forum (but growing every day) most of them "a little" shy to share comments or opinions. You must have seen the same thing at the beginning with the Macan Forum who now has over 30K members.

I'm sure we will all benefit from the experience of a long time Porsche enthousiast like yourself.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @yarralis1 and congrats on your 992 GTS! Great build (although I'm more of a three pedal guy). Always enjoyed your posts (over 12K of them I think!) on the Macan Forum and hope to read your comments on the eighth gen 911. I still have a Macan S MY17 that I love to drive in winter here in Montreal but this will be my first 911...if and when I can get my allocation. After 2 Boxsters, moving up to the iconic 911 is very exciting...before it becomes hybrid! :(

That said, my experience with Porsche hasn't been very positive this time considering the lack of communication (see other posts) during this excruciating and very loooong waiting period! May I ask how long you had to wait between your order and your confirmed allocation/build date?

The 992 community is still very small with only 700 members in this Forum (but growing every day) most of them "a little" shy to share comments or opinions. You must have seen the same thing at the beginning with the Macan Forum who now has over 30K members.

I'm sure we will all benefit from the experience of a long time Porsche enthousiast like yourself.
I put my deposit 9 months ago . I am also a local , repeat buyer . This is my 19th Porsche . They know I am not buying the car to flip it . They also know that I service and trade my cars in . They CPO'd my 991.2 GTS so they do make money on my used car too. The car is immaculate and was the only car I ever owned with zero problems from start to finish . I already miss it . Those factors combined led to my getting the only coupe slot they received . I did not ask about other trims .

I had at one point considered a Gt3 Touring but decided against it . It would have been a ,longer wait but that wasn't there reason . I like daily driving my 911 and a Touring is not the car for that . Had I bought a touring I would have selected a manual . Its a 6 speed rather than a 7. It also is a normally aspirated car . The turbo cars do benefit with PDK as they maintain boost on upshifts . Plus the spacing of the 7 speed at the upper gears was not as ideal as the 6 . That's why I chose PDK. I love manual gearboxes too . I just feel PDK was better suited for the car . Although no one here has test driven them so there are some unknowns going into this .

Buying the first 911 is a very special experience . You are in for a real treat . Be patient with some of the ordering obstacles . These are very unusual times .

·
Registered
606 Posts
I put my deposit 9 months ago . I am also a local , repeat buyer . This is my 19th Porsche . They know I am not buying the car to flip it . They also know that I service and trade my cars in . They CPO'd my 991.2 GTS so they do make money on my used car too. The car is immaculate and was the only car I ever owned with zero problems from start to finish . I already miss it . Those factors combined led to my getting the only coupe slot they received . I did not ask about other trims .

I had at one point considered a Gt3 Touring but decided against it . It would have been a ,longer wait but that wasn't there reason . I like daily driving my 911 and a Touring is not the car for that . Had I bought a touring I would have selected a manual . Its a 6 speed rather than a 7. It also is a normally aspirated car . The turbo cars do benefit with PDK as they maintain boost on upshifts . Plus the spacing of the 7 speed at the upper gears was not as ideal as the 6 . That's why I chose PDK. I love manual gearboxes too . I just feel PDK was better suited for the car . Although no one here has test driven them so there are some unknowns going into this .

Buying the first 911 is a very special experience . You are in for a real treat . Be patient with some of the ordering obstacles . These are very unusual times .
Yep! Thanks! Patience. In the mean time, all I can do is watch videos. LOL! But I'm sure you know the history of the 911 manual gearbox better than the guy in this clip. 😉 I still can't believe you've had 19 Porsches! 😅

I noticed you got "rear axle steering" and PCCB in your build. With your experience, do you think these are must have options? I don't plan to track my car and don't do many U-turns on a daily basis. As for the PCCB, hmm...I do hate the break dust. 😒

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep! Thanks! Patience. In the mean time, all I can do is watch videos. LOL! But I'm sure you know the history of the 911 manual gearbox better than the guy in this clip. 😉 I still can't believe you've had 19 Porsches! 😅

I noticed you got "rear axle steering" and PCCB in your build. With your experience, do you think these are must have options? I don't plan to track my car and don't do many U-turns on a daily basis. As for the PCCB, hmm...I do hate the break dust. 😒

Porsche still absolutely makes a world class manual gearbox even in the seven speed. It’s my understanding that the GTS even has more tweaks done to it to make it more user-friendly. The lever is shorter. So are the throws.

The sad part is we can only pick one. It’s not an easy choice. One can’t go wrong with either.

I wanted to make this car special. At 64 years old I ask myself how many more do I have left before it gets uncomfortable. If I keep this car five years I’ll be pushing 70. So as I come down these older years I’m going all out in these cars. The light week package carbon roof and ceramic brakes along with rear axle steering make for a true performance built. I may track the car but even if I’m just daily driving it I want to have something unique and fun.

I am no stranger to sacrificing comforts in the name of performance. Right now since I early traded my last car I am using my garage queen. It’s a modded car dropped on coil overs With a stage three clutch nearly feels like a leg press each time I push it.

Although older now I am still loving these cars .

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Porsche still absolutely makes a world class manual gearbox even in the seven speed. It’s my understanding that the GTS even has more tweaks done to it to make it more user-friendly. The lever is shorter. So are the throws.

The sad part is we can only pick one. It’s not an easy choice. One can’t go wrong with either.

I wanted to make this car special. At 64 years old I ask myself how many more do I have left before it gets uncomfortable. If I keep this car five years I’ll be pushing 70. So as I come down these older years I’m going all out in these cars. The light week package carbon roof and ceramic brakes along with rear axle steering make for a true performance built. I may track the car but even if I’m just daily driving it I want to have something unique and fun.

I am no stranger to sacrificing comforts in the name of performance. Right now since I early traded my last car I am using my garage queen. It’s a modded car dropped on coil overs With a stage three clutch nearly feels like a leg press each time I push it.

Although older now I am still loving these cars .
Your "garage queen" is a beauty @yrralis1 but you're giving me lots of homework just to understand how this amazing machine works. First I had to search and learn about the "stage three clutch". 😅 Being no engineer (just an MD), I started my reading on the "basics of a clutch". Things I knew but had forgotten (just turned 61 :rolleyes:). Then went up learning about the "performance stage 1-5 clutch"! Fantastic!

And now I'm reading on the "variable turbine geometry" of your 997.1 Turbo. The history, etc. Love it! Next on the list is the lowering of the suspension and coilovers. Don't laugh, but I was worried (and still am) about the 10mm drop in the PASM Sport suspension (see my thread on the subject). LOL! :ROFLMAO: Let me know what you think? I know it's standard on the GTS.

We may be getting older but reading the " Not the oldest 992 owner" thread on this Forum was refreshing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Your "garage queen" is a beauty @yrralis1 but you're giving me lots of homework just to understand how this amazing machine works. First I had to search and learn about the "stage three clutch". 😅 Being no engineer (just an MD), I started my reading on the "basics of a clutch". Things I knew but had forgotten (just turned 61 :rolleyes:). Then went up learning about the "performance stage 1-5 clutch"! Fantastic!

And now I'm reading on the "variable turbine geometry" of your 997.1 Turbo. The history, etc. Love it! Next on the list is the lowering of the suspension and coilovers. Don't laugh, but I was worried (and still am) about the 10mm drop in the PASM Sport suspension (see my thread on the subject). LOL! :ROFLMAO: Let me know what you think? I know it's standard on the GTS.

We may be getting older but reading the " Not the oldest 992 owner" thread on this Forum was refreshing.
I am older than you .. haha . I had 50K miles on.my last 991.2GTS and never scraped the bumper . The 997 Turbo on the other hand had many scrapes once it was dropped . It was lower than the Gt3 at that time (I measured both) . I would absolutely get the PASM . In. fact if you can get a GTS allocation it has a lot to offer . Thays especially the case if you want a manual . The lever is 10mm smaller (than the S ) which makes a nice difference in the way it feels compared to the S . My hardest issue with the manual is losing boost on shifts but the GTS manual makes every effort to compensate .

With the 997 I was 15 years younger . Much like that childhood video you posted my childhood dream was being the fastest on. the block . Its juvenile and with maturity I realized that real driving skill is more about precision. Being able to drive a slow car fast itakes more skill, than a sledgehammer of a modded Turbo . Although I must say the face smearing rush never totally loses appeal . I will always keep that car though !

Having owned and loved my former GTS I waited for it. I keep looking at reviews since the cars aren’t here yet. I know I’m going to be the first in Miami. I’m all excited about it.

Fast forward to 9 min 32 . He briefly discusses the technicals of the GTS and at around 10 min 40 you get the hear the beast . The GTS is one very versatile creature . Street friendly and pleasant as a daily yet its also track capable at near GT level .

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mention PCCB . As you know Brembo makes both steel and PCCB . They would gladly sell a person either . Many of the question they face is why the cost ? Then follows Is it that much better ? They explained why

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am older than you .. haha . I had 50K miles on.my last 991.2GTS and never scraped the bumper . The 997 Turbo on the other hand had many scrapes once it was dropped . It was lower than the Gt3 at that time (I measured both) . I would absolutely get the PASM . In. fact if you can get a GTS allocation it has a lot to offer . Thays especially the case if you want a manual . The lever is 10mm smaller (than the S ) which makes a nice difference in the way it feels compared to the S . My hardest issue with the manual is losing boost on shifts but the GTS manual makes every effort to compensate .

With the 997 I was 15 years younger . Much like that childhood video you posted my childhood dream was being the fastest on. the block . Its juvenile and with maturity I realized that real driving skill is more about precision. Being able to drive a slow car fast itakes more skill, than a sledgehammer of a modded Turbo . Although I must say the face smearing rush never totally loses appeal . I will always keep that car though !

Having owned and loved my former GTS I waited for it. I keep looking at reviews since the cars aren’t here yet. I know I’m going to be the first in Miami. I’m all excited about it.

Fast forward to 9 min 32 . He briefly discusses the technicals of the GTS and at around 10 min 40 you get the hear the beast . The GTS is one very versatile creature . Street friendly and pleasant as a daily yet its also track capable at near GT level .
Ok! You convinced me and I'll check the PASM sport suspension box (almost a no cost option with the manual sport package). I'll even think about the PCCB. About the GTS, don't know if changing queues is at all possible at this point. Will ask.

Now, just for the sake of the discussion, would you allow me to play devil's advocate and share a different opinion (and still be friends I hope! LOL!). I know Nick Murray is controversial but here is his video. You can skip to 4 min 49 or listen to the whole clip.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok! You convinced me and I'll check the PASM sport suspension box. I'll even think about the PCCB. About the GTS, don't know if changing queues is at all possible at this point. Will ask.

Now, just for the sake of the discussion, would you allow me to play devil's advocate and share a different opinion (and still be friends I hope! LOL!). I know Nick Murray is controversial but here is his video. You can skip to 4 min 49 or listen to the whole clip.

I like and respect Nick Murray. However I don’t always agree with him and I’ve watched his videos and even posted alongside him at various times since 2012.

He has a real bias towards the entire GTS (which he has never driven) based on one item. He hates Alcântara! He dedicated entire video to how much he hated Alcântara. His is the only negative review of the car.

If you go back to his early videos you’ll see that he likes very lavish and luxurious interior. He likes stitching and leather and little bits to make it a luxury build. Race Tex Which is Porsche’s newest version of Alcantara is it material that is not flammable and that’s why is used in race cars. It does also provide grip and Porsche places it in areas where that qrip is welcome . The rest is leather bolsters and beautiful stitching in the package. The GTS package is a $9000 package. It’s double the price of a full leather. It took a lot of self motivation to take that box but I absolutely loved it in my last car.

Race Tex is only offered in the GT cars and the GTS.It further separated from the more luxury build cars like a turbo or a Carrera S. It’s not necessary to put it in the car. Nick goes further in his review where he feels the car is a “parts bin special” but that old school rumor was laid to rest long ago . Across the board from the Panamera all way down to the Cayman the GTS is notably a different driving experience any other street variants .

Each person picks the variant it feels best suits him or her. Whether it’s a cabriolet or a 4s or a Turbo. I know in my heart the GTS suits me because it is a street car that plays into Porsche strength found in the GT cars. That’s what I want out of a 911.

One last point look at my former car with 50,000 miles that I just traded it in. Look at how well that race tex held up over the 5 years in the hoFlorida weather . In contrast my leather Macan and 911 turbo both have little creases and things shoeing wear . They also are very hot with humidity of the summer. Even the ventilation which weighs more takes a minute or two to kick in and by then in July I’m already stuck to the seat. The cloth feel of the Race Tex is cooler. PS they labeled it as an S in error .
Used 2017 Porsche 911 For Sale at The Collection Porsche | VIN: WP0AB2A9XHS124560

It was my love for that car and my actual five years of seat time It led to my opinion which is very different and Nick . I just wish that he drove the car before he wrote a review. I will do a written review after I get mine. If there’s anything that I don’t like I’ll be glad to voice it. If you read many of my posts you know that I’m very quick to say what I love about a car but if there’s something that I don’t I will voice that as well.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just painfully watched Nick‘s video after not having seen it in about nine months. He mentioned the brakes from the turbo as an upgrade which is significant. What he doesn’t mention about the central lock wheels is it they are the only forged wheel outside of the GT cars and the turbo S . For a person who takes long trips they could choose the five bolt . In fact the Satin mesh five bolt is exclusive to the GTS as well. I had center locks on my last car And am getting them again . I would only flatbed my car to a Porsche dealership if I got a flat. I would not let a tire shop touch my 911 even if it were a base car. I think the five boat might be a better choice for someone who takes long trips in the car but both you and I have a Macan for things like that.

Nick fails to mention the suspension upgrade in the GTS as well as the aerodynamic upgrades of the car. That is a huge oversight on his part and it was pointed out in one of his comments almost immediately.It really is a different car at a marginal price upgrade. In fact if a person in an S upgrades the wheels puts the sport exhaust and the PASM he’s going to come pretty close in price. He loses the brakes in the upgraded engine.

Granted it’s true if someone wants truffle leather glass sunroof along with various luxury amenities in his car it might be better for him to get an S or a base car. If he wants extreme luxury he can go for a bass turbo. Just as those are the variants each have their little niche so does this one. Each is a standalone concept of what Porsche wants for that 911.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I like and respect Nick Murray. However I don’t always agree with him and I’ve watched his videos and even posted alongside him at various times since 2012.

He has a real bias towards the entire GTS (which he has never driven) based on one item. He hates Alcântara! He dedicated entire video to how much he hated Alcântara. His is the only negative review of the car.

If you go back to his early videos you’ll see that he likes very lavish and luxurious interior. He likes stitching and leather and little bits to make it a luxury build. Race Tex Which is Porsche’s newest version of Alcantara is it material that is not flammable and that’s why is used in race cars. It does also provide grip and Porsche places it in areas where that qrip is welcome . The rest is leather bolsters and beautiful stitching in the package. The GTS package is a $9000 package. It’s double the price of a full leather. It took a lot of self motivation to take that box but I absolutely loved it in my last car.

Race Tex is only offered in the GT cars and the GTS.It further separated from the more luxury build cars like a turbo or a Carrera S. It’s not necessary to put it in the car. Nick goes further in his review where he feels the car is a “parts bin special” but that old school rumor was laid to rest long ago . Across the board from the Panamera all way down to the Cayman the GTS is notably a different driving experience any other street variants .

Each person picks the variant it feels best suits him or her. Whether it’s a cabriolet or a 4s or a Turbo. I know in my heart the GTS suits me because it is a street car that plays into Porsche strength found in the GT cars. That’s what I want out of a 911.

One last point look at my former car with 50,000 miles that I just traded it in. Look at how well that race tex held up over the 5 years in the hoFlorida weather . In contrast my leather Macan and 911 turbo both have little creases and things shoeing wear . They also are very hot with humidity of the summer. Even the ventilation which weighs more takes a minute or two to kick in and by then in July I’m already stuck to the seat. The cloth feel of the Race Tex is cooler. PS they labeled it as an S in error .
Used 2017 Porsche 911 For Sale at The Collection Porsche | VIN: WP0AB2A9XHS124560

It was my love for that car and my actual five years of seat time It led to my opinion which is very different and Nick . I just wish that he drove the car before he wrote a review. I will do a written review after I get mine. If there’s anything that I don’t like I’ll be glad to voice it. If you read many of my posts you know that I’m very quick to say what I love about a car but if there’s something that I don’t I will voice that as well.
Agreed! I will probably read your review before I even get a build date. Don't know if I should be happy or sad!

I went on Rennlist and found a few interesting quotes, the first one being that "The vast majority of people will not be able to tell the difference from the driver's seat, or even from the outside, save for the badge"! Hmm...Probably true for mere mortals like me (even if I can distinguish a center lock wheel...and now PCCB thanks to you and not just because of the color). And to be honest, I would definetely prefer a shorter shifter throw. So maybe, I'm not just a mere mortal! LOL! 😅

But it's a completely different story for "serious and experienced" drivers like yourself. Can't wait to read your review.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed! I will probably read your review before I even get a build date. Don't know if I should be happy or sad!

I went on Rennlist and found a few interesting quotes, the first one being that "The vast majority of people will not be able to tell the difference from the driver's seat, or even from the outside, save for the badge"! Hmm...Probably true for mere mortals like me (even if I can distinguish a center lock wheel...and now PCCB thanks to you and not just because of the color). And to be honest, I would definetely prefer a shorter shifter throw. So maybe, I'm not just a mere mortal! LOL! 😅

But it's a completely different story for "serious and experienced" drivers like yourself. Can't wait to read your review.
When you’re sitting in gridlock traffic it won’t matter if you’re in or 911 or a Panamera. Its the rare moments when you not sitting in traffic and get a chance to experience the car and make a connection with the machine over time . Most of the Auto journalists never get that experience. They spend some time with a car Write a review and move onto the next one. A friend of mine gets so tired of watching other peoples reviews do he started a YouTube channel. He wanted to write reviews as an owner of the car. There really is a difference.

Your first 911 will be a learning experience on any level. The whole driving dynamic is different. In the front engine car the weight is distributed differently. The rear engine feels like you’re being pushed in the front wheels or just the steering. It’s quite common for an M3 driver to make a jump to the 911 and go to a period of adjustment in doing so. Once mastered it’s just mind blowing how well than the 911 drives.

Throw up Both an S And a GTS build . Since you don’t have a built slot this is the time to make decisions on everything about the car that you want starting from which one to what components suit you best. The ideal thing is to have a final build on the date they hand you the slot.

My Porsche tracker bumped me back to March 25. I’m back down from the April 15 which was anticipating slight delay. My review will come soon enough maybe by then you’ll be certain what you hope to achieve with this car. I’ll take a look if you throw some builds up. I know the process is tough Drives me nuts every time.

·
Registered
606 Posts
When you’re sitting in gridlock traffic it won’t matter if you’re in or 911 or a Panamera. Its the rare moments when you not sitting in traffic and get a chance to experience the car and make a connection with the machine over time . Most of the Auto journalists never get that experience. They spend some time with a car Write a review and move onto the next one. A friend of mine gets so tired of watching other peoples reviews do he started a YouTube channel. He wanted to write reviews as an owner of the car. There really is a difference.

Your first 911 will be a learning experience on any level. The whole driving dynamic is different. In the front engine car the weight is distributed differently. The rear engine feels like you’re being pushed in the front wheels or just the steering. It’s quite common for an M3 driver to make a jump to the 911 and go to a period of adjustment in doing so. Once mastered it’s just mind blowing how well than the 911 drives.

Throw up Both an S And a GTS build . Since you don’t have a built slot this is the time to make decisions on everything about the car that you want starting from which one to what components suit you best. The ideal thing is to have a final build on the date they hand you the slot.

My Porsche tracker bumped me back to March 25. I’m back down from the April 15 which was anticipating slight delay. My review will come soon enough maybe by then you’ll be certain what you hope to achieve with this car. I’ll take a look if you throw some builds up. I know the process is tough Drives me nuts every time.
Here you go, as of February 12 3PM Eastern time (everything could change)

I know, I know, my brother teases me and calls it "urban chic" (not a mean machine) but I needed a change from the traditional black, grey and white which I've had for years. And for the first time ever, I'm consideirng a light grey interior! Scary! 😱 LOL!

I've done my build on the US configurator this time so not to mix you up with our worthless canadian dollar. And I added the PSAM sport suspension (from my original post as a new member). Basically, no real "performance" options. I wanted a 911 cab with a stick...which comes only in the S model.

PNEFRJP1
The Porsche Code

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here you go, as of February 12 3PM Eastern time (everything could change)

I know, I know, my brother teases me and calls it "urban chic" (not a mean machine) but I needed a change from the traditional black, grey and white which I've had for years. And for the first time ever, I'm consideirng a light grey interior! Scary! 😱 LOL!

I've done my build on the US configurator this time so not to mix you up with our worthless canadian dollar. And I added the PSAM sport suspension (from my original post as a new member). Basically, no real "performance" options. I wanted a 911 cab with a stick...which comes only in the S model.

PNEFRJP1
The Porsche Code
I have already looked at many Canadian currency builds so no worries if you leave it in CAD . I looked . I didn't realize that you were getting a Cab . The irony of a Canadian getting a Cab Vs a guy in Miami deleting a sunroof . I did own one convertible and it was a Boxster S . I loved it but have always chosen a coupe for the 911. That being said I did discuss a GTS Can with a friend of mine . His relative ordered a GTS Cab . He's also. coupe guy (Gt3) . His relative also picked a manual . Its a really tough call on GTS Vs S with a Cab . Most of the performance upgrades that you ordered ( sport exhaust , PASM , ) are standard in a. GTS . The biggest draw is the manual lever and shift experience noted by almost revery reviewer who test drove them both . Yet the price and luxury of the S pushes me right back into your camp too.

Your build is beautiful . There a beauiul review of a base Turbo by JanKo Lind ink Gentian with the lighter interior so I am with you on that too.

There are only a few tings I dabbled with .
1) The exhaust tips you chose silver . Black are free and much easier to clean.
2) Extended range fuel tank at 230 is a no brainer
3) I go back and forth with anything red with Gentian. I get a Superman image . I changed the calipers to black but really LOVE PCCB in yellow with the blue. The red as it is can work. Its just my own neurosis . I also go through this with Carmine and yellow . I think McDonalds .
4) I put the 18 way over the Sport seats . The sport are not bad but the 18 are that good .

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@CH61 Note the manual. lever size in the GTS Cab . Also note its positioning and size . It makes for a very natural feel .
BTW I HATE the stripe !!!!!! Hideous ! The Chalk is nice but there stripe kills it .

Look at the GTS package and stitching . Its my fave . I myself picked it .

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have already looked at many Canadian currency builds so no worries if you leave it in CAD . I looked . I didn't realize that you were getting a Cab . The irony of a Canadian getting a Cab Vs a guy in Miami deleting a sunroof . I did own one convertible and it was a Boxster S . I loved it but have always chosen a coupe for the 911. That being said I did discuss a GTS Can with a friend of mine . His relative ordered a GTS Cab . He's also. coupe guy (Gt3) . His relative also picked a manual . Its a really tough call on GTS Vs S with a Cab . Most of the performance upgrades that you ordered ( sport exhaust , PASM , ) are standard in a. GTS . The biggest draw is the manual lever and shift experience noted by almost revery reviewer who test drove them both . Yet the price and luxury of the S pushes me right back into your camp too.

Your build is beautiful . There a beauiul review of a base Turbo by JanKo Lind ink Gentian with the lighter interior so I am with you on that too.

There are only a few tings I dabbled with .
1) The exhaust tips you chose silver . Black are free and much easier to clean.
2) Extended range fuel tank at 230 is a no brainer
3) I go back and forth with anything red with Gentian. I get a Superman image . I changed the calipers to black but really LOVE PCCB in yellow with the blue. The red as it is can work. Its just my own neurosis . I also go through this with Carmine and yellow . I think McDonalds .
4) I put the 18 way over the Sport seats . The sport are not bad but the 18 are that good .

Wow! Thanks for taking the time. All good points. I might just keep your build "as is". I share the same neurosis with you and would not put Bordeaux red leather with GB for example (apologies to those who would).

As for the irony (funny!!!), I think that being cooped up all winter in freezing temperatures makes the convertible such a pleasure to drive the moment the snow melts. I've always had roasters..that unfortunately hibernate in winter! But if I lived in Florida, I'm not sure I could handle the Miami summer heat with the top down as often.

·
Registered
606 Posts
@CH61 Note the manual. lever size in the GTS Cab . Also note its positioning and size . It makes for a very natural feel .
BTW I HATE the stripe !!!!!! Hideous ! The Chalk is nice but there stripe kills it .

Look at the GTS package and stitching . Its my fave . I myself picked it .
Yep! Hate the stripes also (the image of an american muscle car of the 60' or 70' comes to mind). But I just LOVE that manual lever on the GTS. Looks just perfect! Hmm...

Really a shame we can't drive anything at the moment.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to find Farah's review of the GTS

Great review ! I think he hits a lot of points spot on but he does miss a few . I love the Cab in the Gentian and even like the spoke Carrera S wheel with platinum satin on that color . That interior is also nice with the chalk stitch . There is a lot to like .

One point he misses is the top up visibility . Going back to my first 911 there is one immediately noticeable feature. The coupe has an absence of a blind spot .
He does concede the performance loss of the Cab but doesn't explain why. The structural rigidity of a coupe is a huge win . The excess weight of the top only further compounds the loss . He chalks it up to giving up PDK for the manual as part of this quest for leisure . It's a lot to sacrifice in my opinion . However the person who loves a Cab will love it an d he looks like he had a blast driving it . It does look like fun !!!

I like top down driving but the one time I chose it I took a 981 Boxster S in a manual Vs the 991.1 . In fact in 2013 I was there to order a 991 and saw a 981 on the floor . It was beautifully spec so I drove it and took it home . The combination of the 6 speed (Vs the 7) and the NA engine had great appeal . Also the Boxster has a smaller cabin with door sills which are the ideal ride height for top down driving . In contrast the purest 911 is the Gt3 . The Boxster was originally designed as a mid engine roadster . It wasn't until later that the Cayman arrived. The Cayman dilemma is that Porsche would never have allowed it to overtake the big brother 911 . On the other hand the mid engine is so balanced that the Spyder holds the Guiness World Record for the slalom .the ONLy negative with a Boxster 4.0 is that "its not a 911" but in terms of : 1) manual , 2) Convertible , 3) Cabin suited for top down , and 4 Price it makes this become a serious battle . The price is just the icing on the cake .

I was impressed by the POV in the video but I know in my heart I am die hard for a Coupe . I even deleted the sunroof because I dint want a hole in the roof with extra weight in the center of mass. In a Macan or Panamera sure I'd be ok with the sunroof . Wife likes it in her car . My last car was bought off the lot and it had the glass roof . It wasn't a dealbreaker but I wanted it off in a 911 .

I am excited about your car as I am with mine . Did they hint at a slot ? I have not been following recent allocation information because I am only a month away . My car arrived at Emden today . I hope to see pictures soon arriving on the Porsche site . My other car is traded in and I liquidated an investment to pay the rest . So I am ready !!! All I need is my new car !!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.