Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waited a year for my car . The process was exhausting and stressful. In the meantime a friend of mine walked into his local dealership and they had a 2021 CPO Turbo S with 2K miles . Of course they wanted a gazillion for it but he took them to task , paid an ADM , but it was not outrageous . He walked out with an amazing almost new car with no wait time .

I ponder this. Would I do it again or would I do what he did ? I am 90 percent at where he is at . Now its true that I wanted a GTS (Not a Turbo S) and he didnt get his first choice color and such but still I compare it to the compromises I made with time and mental energy and still find him way in the lead !!!

So I ask you .. those who have it . those who are still waiting , and those who are perhaps lurking wondering as I write this .

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I waited a year for my car . The process was exhausting and stressful. In the meantime a friend of mine walked into his local dealership and they had a 2021 CPO Turbo S with 2K miles . Of course they wanted a gazillion for it but he took them to task , paid an ADM , but it was not outrageous . He walked out with an amazing almost new car with no wait time .

I ponder this. Would I do it again or would I do what he did ? I am 90 percent at where he is at . Now its true that I wanted a GTS (Not a Turbo S) and he didnt get his first choice color and such but still I compare it to the compromises I made with time and mental energy and still find him way in the lead !!!

So I ask you .. those who have it . those who are still waiting , and those who are perhaps lurking wondering as I write this .
It’s all about the chase and the journey…..without hesitation I would do it the same way as long as I had a car to drive while waiting which I did.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s all about the chase and the journey…..without hesitation I would do it the same way as long as I had a car to drive while waiting which I did.
I had always been the guy who loved walking onto. dealership lot and finding a car so close to what I would order that I'd buy it. Years ago Porsche didn't have as long a menu of choices . Other manufacturers were even more simple. My first ordered car was an M3 (for my wife) when BMW only had DCT and we both wanted a manual. It took only 2 months . Porsche took 3 months with my first Macan Turbo ordered pre launch . Two or three months was bad but a year was torture . Look at @CH61 who is a year into the game and finally has a slot . Not that it means anything until he gets the car . On. Rennlist theres a thread where a person was given a slot , had a track your dream running , and the dealership pulled the slot from her and gave it to someone else . Some of the craziness is unreal. Even our cars Bobby luckily wedged their way past one sinking boat and another where cars were damaged . We got lucky . I can't imagine doing this again . I even told my wife to pamper the Macan because it has to last awhile.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I had always been the guy who loved walking onto. dealership lot and finding a car so close to what I would order that I'd buy it. Years ago Porsche didn't have as long a menu of choices . Other manufacturers were even more simple. My first ordered car was an M3 (for my wife) when BMW only had DCT and we both wanted a manual. It took only 2 months . Porsche took 3 months with my first Macan Turbo ordered pre launch . Two or three months was bad but a year was torture . Look at @CH61 who is a year into the game and finally has a slot . Not that it means anything until he gets the car . On. Rennlist theres a thread where a person was given a slot , had a track your dream running , and the dealership pulled the slot from her and gave it to someone else . Some of the craziness is unreal. Even our cars Bobby luckily wedged their way past one sinking boat and another where cars were damaged . We got lucky . I can't imagine doing this again . I even told my wife to pamper the Macan because it has to last awhile.
All valid points Larry and I never dreamed of ordering a car let alone my bucket list 911. Compound that with the Covid BS and other supply chain issues and its a perfect storm. MAYBE if I had known the wait time I may have passed until things were back to normal but I REALLY believe those days are either gone or will not return for many years. Everything we need these days is either back ordered or a shortage of some sort. I agree walking in is instant gratification but paying a HUGE premium is not an option for me. It’s the principle of the situation….oh no….I’m starting to sound like my Father now God rest his soul!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All valid points Larry and I never dreamed of ordering a car let alone my bucket list 911. Compound that with the Covid BS and other supply chain issues and its a perfect storm. MAYBE if I had known the wait time I may have passed until things were back to normal but I REALLY believe those days are either gone or will not return for many years. Everything we need these days is either back ordered or a shortage of some sort. I agree walking in is instant gratification but paying a HUGE premium is not an option for me. It’s the principle of the situation….oh no….I’m starting to sound like my Father now God rest his soul!
I felt that way too and adamantly argued those who paid ADM for an ordered car . However if a car is right in front of me NOW thats a huge selling point . Keep in mind that even one cent sounds outrageous but so does a year of ups and downs waiting . In the meantime I saw a GTS with less specs than mine that was listed two days ago for 253K . Thats insane . Its gone too !!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I felt that way too and adamantly argued those who paid ADM for an ordered car . However if a car is right in front of me NOW thats a huge selling point . Keep in mind that even one cent sounds outrageous but so does a year of ups and downs waiting . In the meantime I saw a GTS with less specs than mine that was listed two days ago for 253K . Thats insane . Its gone too !!
There’s one born every minute! Also, everything cyclical including cars and the housing market so this will certainly change again.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yep! It was REALLY painful but we did the exercice together Larry and how many cars did we find? In Canada, less than the fingers on one hand. I almost bought a Spyder when I realized it was the ONLY manual available (if it wasn't for that crazy roof). That said, if I knew TODAY that I would have to wait TWO (2) years before actually getting a 911, I would definetely consider paying a markup on a CPO. Hell, 2 of my favorite hockey players died this week, Mike Bossy (Born 1957) and Guy Lafleur (Born 1951)! I could be next (Born 1961)!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yep! It was REALLY painful but we did the exercice together Larry and how many cars did we find? In Canada, less than the fingers on one hand. I almost bought a Spyder when I realized it was the ONLY manual available (if it wasn't for that crazy roof). That said, if I knew TODAY that I would have to wait TWO (2) years before actually getting a 911, I would definetely consider paying a markup on a CPO. Hell, 2 of my favorite hockey players died this week, Mike Bossy (Born 1957) and Guy Lafleur (Born 1951)! I could be next (Born 1961)!
CH, don’t talk about the death stuff…too much to share about loss on my end but I see your point CLEARLY! It had a major impact on my decision to order my 911! VERY major.

·
Registered
800 Posts
CH, don’t talk about the death stuff…too much to share about loss on my end but I see your point CLEARLY! It had a major impact on my decision to order my 911! VERY major.
Sorry, I don’t want to be depressing cause I’m really not a “pessimist”, far from it. But like Larry, that “experience” has left me with some after taste. And it wasn’t just because of the waiting period even if in my case it will be 17 months from order to delivery.

That “perfect storm” just wasn’t fun. I know, I know, nobody knew what was coming but Porsche dropped the puck big time by not being transparent and forthcoming. I think you were relatively “lucky” and your order process was pretty straightforward. In my case, false promises were given, dates postponed multiple times and all along I was the one literally “begging” for info (for more than a year)! See other threads where a bunch of us shared that lack of “respect” from our dealerships…and from Porsche AG.

So, to answer Larry, I would NOT wait 1 ½ year or TWO (2) for ANYTHING anymore. I want to enjoy life TODAY, because Yesterday is gone and Tomorrow….?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Sorry, I don’t want to be depressing cause I’m really not a “pessimist”, far from it. But like Larry, that “experience” has left me with some after taste. And it wasn’t just because of the waiting period even if in my case it will be 17 months from order to delivery.

That “perfect storm” just wasn’t fun. I know, I know, nobody knew what was coming but Porsche dropped the puck big time by not being transparent and forthcoming. I think you were relatively “lucky” and your order process was pretty straightforward. In my case, false promises were given, dates postponed multiple times and all along I was the one literally “begging” for info (for more than a year)! See other threads where a bunch of us shared that lack of “respect” from our dealerships…and from Porsche AG.

So, to answer Larry, I would NOT wait 1 ½ year or TWO (2) for ANYTHING anymore. I want to enjoy life TODAY, because Yesterday is gone and Tomorrow….?
Amen to that brother! Time waits for no one! Larry and I got lucky for sure, dodged a few bullets along the way but remove these crazy times and it would have been fine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At the onset of the 992 people were getting 7 percent discounts . I got a discount on my Macan turbo in Nov 2020 . I saw it was getting tricky but never thought it would be like this . The issue I have now is that the car is irreplaceable . In the old days if a car was damaged I just bought a new car . Now it has become a job even to get routine parts if needed. BTW I am 1958 and still cooking . I am still worn out from being sick last week though . Hope to start swimming Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
At the onset of the 992 people were getting 7 percent discounts . I got a discount on my Macan turbo in Nov 2020 . I saw it was getting tricky but never thought it would be like this . The issue I have now is that the car is irreplaceable . In the old days if a car was damaged I just bought a new car . Now it has become a job even to get routine parts if needed. BTW I am 1958 and still cooking . I am still worn out from being sick last week though . Hope to start swimming Wednesday.
Pontiff, you still have a lot of tread left on your tires so take it easy, listen to your body and maybe just float in the pool until Friday!

·
Registered
800 Posts
The good news is that since I ordered before the "storm" I was able to get a tiny discount (3K CAD) AND the dealer added full PPF...AND the TAG tracking system to the deal (don't know if you have this system in the US?). When I recently confirmed my final build and asked for an updated contract my SA looked at it and said he couldn't believe I was able to have "so much"! LOL!

The other good news is that my 911 production date has been advanced by one week. V300 (Vehicule completion) was planned 04-29-2022 but finally "Expected date" 04-22-2022! I don't plan to contact my SA to confirm that the production is complete. Not for at least...a couple of days!!! LOL!!!! :p Eventually, I would like to know on what ship it's on....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The good news is that since I ordered before the "storm" I was able to get a tiny discount (3K CAD) AND the dealer added full PPF...AND the TAG tracking system to the deal (don't know if you have this system in the US?). When I recently confirmed my final build and asked for an updated contract my SA looked at it and said he couldn't believe I was able to have "so much"! LOL!

The other good news is that my 911 production date has been advanced by one week. V300 (Vehicule completion) was planned 04-29-2022 but finally "Expected date" 04-22-2022! I don't plan to contact my SA to confirm that the production is complete. Not for at least...a couple of days!!! LOL!!!! :p Eventually, I would like to know on what ship it's on....
Awesome, love it! Mine was a week early also and got a 4.5% discount. I am not aware of that tracking system you mentioned, Larry???

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like it's canadian. It's not expensive. The PPF was the nice "gift".

The first thing the criminal will do is pull off the tag and put a fake one (likely stolen too) . I caught a guy once trying to steal my car in the 90's .He did not get the car.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The first thing the criminal will do is pull off the tag and put a fake one (likely stolen too) . I caught a guy once trying to steal my car in the 90's .He did not get the car.
I'm no expert but I was told that they "install multiple, difficult to locate tracking devices throughout a vehicle."

I have it on the Macan and I don't even know where the tags are? Gues they can be located and removed? ANYTHING is possible you know! Anyways, hope I never need to use it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts