Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always put my keys in a drawer in our living room, which is located right on top of our basement garage. With the 992, I've noticed that the fob keeps flashing until I'm at least 8 feet away from the car...even one floor over the garage!!! Even across a ciment wall and or fire door (from the garage to the basement)!!! Geezzz! I assume that this constant "communication" between the car and the fob could drain the battery. Not good, right?

So I have the choice to store my key elsewhere in the house...or get some kind of metal tin. Read about the Faraday box or pouch which blocks radio signals. Any ideas?

BTW I was told that all 992s have a lithium battery now and not just the ones with the rear wheel stearing. Did you check what's under the cover? We recently discussed this subject since a lithium battery would require the appropriate charger.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my fob....in the dining room!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've always put my keys in a drawer in our living room, which is located right on top of our basement garage. With the 992, I've noticed that the fob keeps flashing until I'm at least 8 feet away from the car...even one floor over the garage!!! Even across a ciment wall and or fire door (from the garage to the basement)!!! Geezzz! I assume that this constant "communication" between the car and the fob could drain the battery. Not good, right?

So I have the choice to store my key elsewhere in the house...or get some kind of metal tin. Read about the Faraday box or pouch which blocks radio signals. Any ideas?

BTW I was told that all 992s have a lithium battery now and not just the ones with the rear wheel stearing. Did you check what's under the cover? We recently discussed this subject since a lithium battery would require the appropriate charger.

I never checked the battery so maybe I will today. Technology for the key could bite us in the ass!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

I read that cars have been stolen that way . Its where the FOB is near the car . My FOB on my last car flashed when it needed. a battery so its worth asking then to look at it. I try to keep my FOB near me at all times . I even sleep with it in my room across from me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that cars have been stolen that way . Its where the FOB is near the car . My FOB on my last car flashed when it needed. a battery so its worth asking then to look at it. I try to keep my FOB near me at all times . I even sleep with it in my room across from me.
The new key fobs seem to have a great range, i just have to walk towards my car and within about 8 feet the lights go on and the handles pop open! No wonder they have to be kept at a distance of the car when stored. With the Macan, I have to touch the handle for the door to unclock.

So I think I'll get one of those Faraday boxes or pouch...or sleep with my keys like you Larry! LOL! :p

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The new key fobs seem to have a great range, i just have to walk towards my car and within about 8 feet the lights go on and the handles pop open! No wonder they have to be kept at a distance of the car when stored. With the Macan, I have to touch the handle for the door to unclock.

So I think I'll get one of those Faraday boxes or pouch...or sleep with my keys like you Larry! LOL! :p
I’ll have to test that because I wasn’t aware the key was that powerful.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

When one is sleeping he doesn't see the key . Besides if someone e wants to get my key, wallet, and phone they have to meet up with me first .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When one is sleeping he doesn't see the key . Besides if someone e wants to get my key, wallet, and phone they have to meet up with me first .
My point Larry was that I wish to block my keys from communicating to my car in order to "protect" the battery...and I wish to continue putting my keys in my living room drawer where I've always kept them for the last 30 years.

Right now, the fob "communicates" to the 992 and the Porsche crest flashes red even if it's in the room just above the garage!!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My point Larry was that I wish to block my keys from communicating to my car in order to "protect" the battery...and I wish to continue putting my keys in my living room drawer where I've always kept them for the last 30 years.

Right now, the fob "communicates" to the 992 and the Porsche crest flashes red even if it's in the room just above the garage!!! :confused:
I’m going for the wallet first Pontiff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.