Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been following the forum for a while while deciding whether or not to take the plunge and get a 911.

Currently driving a 2020 718 Cayman T and think it's a fantastic car. Hoping I'll be even more impressed with a 992 Carrera T as I just received my allocation yesterday!

Deposit in December, called in March - so hopefully that's a sign that things are inching back towards normal.

SA says I have about 2 weeks to lock in a build. Had it all figured out 2 months ago favoring GT Silver Metallic with the aerokit, My SA informed me that the aerokit is now on stop sale, so back to the drawing board for me.

The cost savings will allow me to add a few other goodies that I had passed on. I'd like to get the rear axle steering, just because it's not available on the base, along with the manual gearbox.

Torn between adding the sport design package vs without - I really like the rear SD bumper, but could live without the front - but that's not an option. If I get the SDP then I'll almost certainly need the FAL due to the steepness of my driveway. 8/10 I can make it if paying attention, but those 2 other times could be costly.

Of course the dealer recommends SDP, side skirts, full leather interior, PDLS+ LED matrix, etc.....

Here's the latest build without the SDP:

The Porsche Code (sorry don't know how to embed a link to the code).

Paul

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,496 Posts
Hi,

Been following the forum for a while while deciding whether or not to take the plunge and get a 911.

Currently driving a 2020 718 Cayman T and think it's a fantastic car. Hoping I'll be even more impressed with a 992 Carrera T as I just received my allocation yesterday!

Deposit in December, called in March - so hopefully that's a sign that things are inching back towards normal.

SA says I have about 2 weeks to lock in a build. Had it all figured out 2 months ago favoring GT Silver Metallic with the aerokit, My SA informed me that the aerokit is now on stop sale, so back to the drawing board for me.

The cost savings will allow me to add a few other goodies that I had passed on. I'd like to get the rear axle steering, just because it's not available on the base, along with the manual gearbox.

Torn between adding the sport design package vs without - I really like the rear SD bumper, but could live without the front - but that's not an option. If I get the SDP then I'll almost certainly need the FAL due to the steepness of my driveway. 8/10 I can make it if paying attention, but those 2 other times could be costly.

Of course the dealer recommends SDP, side skirts, full leather interior, PDLS+ LED matrix, etc.....

Paul

1) I would skip everything sport design . That painted front lip would have to be removed and painted . In contrast the plastic ids 850 USD tp replace if scraped .

2) I do not understand why some are putting a sunroof in a "lightweight" car . Its like Porsche reduced the car 100 pounds deliberately and then they the buyer puts 60 right back in the center of mass of the car . It defeats the purpose . Sure its great in a Macan but this is a 911.

3) Love the rest !!!

As for the roof . I reduced the weight on my lightweight package GTS with the carbon fiber roof . Its a bit more than the sunroof in cost but its not only in line with the premise of the T ... it looks dynamite . Second pic shows the plastic on a uneven chipped driveway entrance .
Car Vehicle Plant Hood Automotive lighting

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) I would skip everything sport design . That painted front lip would have to be removed and painted . In contrast the plastic ids 850 USD tp replace if scraped .

2) I do not understand why some are putting a sunroof in a "lightweight" car . Its like Porsche reduced the car 100 pounds deliberately and then they the buyer puts 60 right back in the center of mass of the car . It defeats the purpose . Sure its great in a Macan but this is a 911.

3) Love the rest !!!

As for the roof . I reduced the weight on my lightweight package GTS with the carbon fiber roof . Its a bit more than the sunroof in cost but its not only in line with the premise of the T ... it looks dynamite . Second pic shows the plastic on a uneven chipped driveway entrance .
View attachment 2349

View attachment 2350
Thanks for the feedback.

Agree with your comments on the sunroof, it wasn't on my first build and quite frankly I don't use them very often on my other vehicles -except for some extra light. Haven't seen the CF roof option in person and wasn't sure if it was worth the premium paid. It looks great on your car!

Think if I drop the painted lip and sunroof that covers 2/3rds of the CF roof option.

· Registered
Coming soon!!!!
242 Posts
Hi Paul

Congrats on the allocation and welcome to the zoo! You might’ve set a record for receiving the fastest allocation. Very nice build, especially the GT Silver with green stitch.

It looks like we both struggled with decisions on the SDP. Ironically, I preferred the standard rear bumper with the lower license plate and have a small preference for the SDP front. I finally removed it from my build because I didn’t have a strong opinion one way or the other so it didn’t feel like money well spent.

I then removed the SD side skirts with the rationale that they should match the front lip (either both black or both painted). Side skirts are very easy to change later so I’ll spend a few days staring at the car before I finally make up my mind.

As for the sunroof, this will be my first car without one. I can’t remember the last time I opened one and they inevitably become a source of creaks. I sat in a 992 without one it was fine. I also prefer the clean exterior roof lines without a sunroof. Of course, my SA said having one was “essential”. 😜

All of this is personal preference but a different perspective might help you decide. Good luck. You’ll love it whichever way you go.

· Registered
117 Posts
Hi,

Paul
Thanks for the feedback.

Agree with your comments on the sunroof, it wasn't on my first build and quite frankly I don't use them very often on my other vehicles -except for some extra light. Haven't seen the CF roof option in person and wasn't sure if it was worth the premium paid. It looks great on your car!

Think if I drop the painted lip and sunroof that covers 2/3rds of the CF roof option.
Hey @diddofbean welcome to the forum! Very nice spec you have right now. If you can swing it I think the carbon fiber roof would be a great addition to your car. Are you keeping the Cayman or will you trade it in?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Paul

Congrats on the allocation and welcome to the zoo! You might’ve set a record for receiving the fastest allocation. Very nice build, especially the GT Silver with green stitch.

It looks like we both struggled with decisions on the SDP. Ironically, I preferred the standard rear bumper with the lower license plate and have a small preference for the SDP front. I finally removed it from my build because I didn’t have a strong opinion one was or the other so it didn’t feel like money well spent.

I then removed the SD side skirts with the rationale that they should match the front lip (either both black or both painted). Side skirts are very easy to change later so I’ll spend a few days staring at the car before I finally make up my mind.

As for the sunroof, this will be my first car without one. I can’t remember the last time I opened one and they inevitably become a source of creaks. I sat in a 992 without one it was fine. I also prefer the clean exterior roof lines without a sunroof. Of course, my SA said having one was “essential”. 😜

All of this is personal preference but a different perspective might help you decide. Good luck. You’ll love it whichever way you go.
All good info! The configurator has soo many options I'm sure I could spend hours on end and never settle on a final build.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey @diddofbean welcome to the forum! Very nice spec you have right now. If you can swing it I think the carbon fiber roof would be a great addition to your car. Are you keeping the Cayman or will you trade it in?
I'm leaning towards the CF roof. There are a few 992's tucked away for the winter at the dealership, maybe one of those has CF and I can see it in person. That would probably seal the deal. (y)

I'd like to keep the Cayman, but trading it in and letting someone else enjoy it seems to be the way to go.

· Registered
202 Posts
Hi Paul

It looks like we both struggled with decisions on the SDP. Ironically, I preferred the standard rear bumper with the lower license plate and have a small preference for the SDP front. I finally removed it from my build because I didn’t have a strong opinion one way or the other so it didn’t feel like money well spent.

First of all, congrats @diddofbean on the allocation and build. I think it looks amazing as it's the same color combo as mine! My advice, we all have opinions but get what YOU want! @KM992 my thought process about the SDP was identical to yours. I think i'm 50-50 on the rear and maybe slightly leaned towards the front SD but was mostly indifferent so it wasn't worth the extra cost imo. Also, i agree if you have a painted front lip then you should get the matching side skirts and vice-versa if not so i didn't.

I may be in the minority but i actually think the car looks great with the glass roof. However having said that it would also look phenomenal in CF. Personally i enjoy the light in the cabin from a glass roof whether i open it or not, but i completely understand the weight rationale especially if you hope to track it, where in that case i would not get it. To me either choice is a good option for different reasons.

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,496 Posts
First of all, congrats @diddofbean on the allocation and build. I think it looks amazing as it's the same color combo as mine! My advice, we all have opinions but get what YOU want! @KM992 my thought process about the SDP was identical to yours. I think i'm 50-50 on the rear and maybe slightly leaned towards the front SD but was mostly indifferent so it wasn't worth the extra cost imo. Also, i agree if you have a painted front lip then you should get the matching side skirts and vice-versa if not so i didn't.

I may be in the minority but i actually think the car looks great with the glass roof. However having said that it would also look phenomenal in CF. Personally i enjoy the light in the cabin from a glass roof whether i open it or not, but i completely understand the weight rationale especially if you hope to track it, where in that case i would not get it. To me either choice is a good option for different reasons.
I’ve never said the glass roof looks bad. I happen to think the carbon fiber roof looks better. But that’s just opinion. What I do think is bad is cutting a hole in the roof and adding weight in the center of the car or a vehicle that is specifically designed for light weight performance. I understand that you are not going to track it. It won’t drive horribly with the roof. I had one in my last 911 I didn’t order it. I bought the car off the lot when they got their first one unexpectedly they had no idea they were getting this car And I happened to walk in the day they got it When you order a car you get a chance to make all the choices on every single option. I do think he should get the car that he wants but I think he should be aware of some of the facts about some of the choices. It is a fact that the torsional rigidity of the car is affected by a hole in the roof, it is a fact that adding weight to a car which is lightweight, defeats the entire premise.

· Registered
202 Posts
I’ve never said the glass roof looks bad. I happen to think the carbon fiber roof looks better. But that’s just opinion. What I do think is bad is cutting a hole in the roof and adding weight in the center of the car or a vehicle that is specifically designed for light weight performance. I understand that you are not going to track it. It won’t drive horribly with the roof. I had one in my last 911 I didn’t order it. I bought the car off the lot when they got their first one unexpectedly they had no idea they were getting this car And I happened to walk in the day they got it When you order a car you get a chance to make all the choices on every single option. I do think he should get the car that he wants but I think he should be aware of some of the facts about some of the choices. It is a fact that the torsional rigidity of the car is affected by a hole in the roof, it is a fact that adding weight to a car which is lightweight, defeats the entire premise.
I've never disagreed with all of your points about weight and distribution of weight etc. They are all very valid points and i understand where you're coming from. And i also think the CF roof looks awesome as well. However my point is that not everyone looks at things in the same manner. You look at the T as the lightest purpose driven 911 out there and weight should be saved at all costs which is fine. I look at the T as a base with a manual and some great performance goodies, exclusive titanium wheels and mirrors and if i choose i can put in a sunroof. That's it. Let's face it, every single 911 is a sports car so one can argue why put a sunroof in any of them?! Heck, why put A/C in the car?! Ok, time to move over to the side marker debate....

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,496 Posts
😳😳 phew! I was getting worried……thinking trade in …..😉
I didnt trade in. my 991 with the roof but I also didnt order it. I even had moments where I opened the shade but not enough to justify having it . As for the actual roof I haven't opened one since the 1970's and hated it even then as a teen .

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great to have all of the opinions, and hear from those who have experienced the process. I can say with certainty that each argument for or against a particular option are all valid and have crossed my mind multiple times. I purchased my Cayman T off the lot and didn't have to go through the multitude of choices on the configurator. It had all the options I would have selected, but not my first choice of color - it took less than an hour and it was my new favorite!

Have a solid understanding of the options I want in a car, it's the ones that I could do with or without that cause all of the turmoil. The only saving grace is that I won't have months to play out all the choices and hopefully keep my sanity :unsure:.

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,496 Posts
Great to have all of the opinions, and hear from those who have experienced the process. I can say with certainty that each argument for or against a particular option are all valid and have crossed my mind multiple times. I purchased my Cayman T off the lot and didn't have to go through the multitude of choices on the configurator. It had all the options I would have selected, but not my first choice of color - it took less than an hour and it was my new favorite!

Have a solid understanding of the options I want in a car, it's the ones that I could do with or without that cause all of the turmoil. The only saving grace is that I won't have months to play out all the choices and hopefully keep my sanity :unsure:.
I ordered two cars this past year . The time spent on the configurator can seem infinite . On one end there are those who reach a final build in 3 or 4 attempts and on the other its more like 3000 attempts . Between the two I am surprised I didn't burn out the configurator . I also have bought lot cars . It tales a lot of stress off there table and even though its never exactly to spec buying a Porsche is never a bad day .

· Registered
202 Posts

When i was much younger I used to go out on a weekend, sift through the old paper copy of the AutoTrader (remember that?) and buy a used car. Never really knowing what i was going to end up with. Those were fun days. Then i'd keep them for a year or so and get pretty much what i paid for them if not more in some cases! If you're like most of us, you'd be fine with 3 or 4 colors. As long as the options are more or less right and the timing is right then one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Just did that with a recent used Z4M purchase and absolutely love it (mind you that one i was looking for for a while). Now that damn configurator. Sometimes too many choices can drive you mad!

· Registered
2,250 Posts
When i was much younger I used to go out on a weekend, sift through the old paper copy of the AutoTrader (remember that?) and buy a used car. Never really knowing what i was going to end up with. Those were fun days. Then i'd keep them for a year or so and get pretty much what i paid for them if not more in some cases! If you're like most of us, you'd be fine with 3 or 4 colors. As long as the options are more or less right and the timing is right then one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Just did that with a recent used Z4M purchase and absolutely love it (mind you that one i was looking for for a while). Now that damn configurator. Sometimes too many choices can drive you mad!
I remember the AutoTrader well! I used to pick one up to dream about cars I couldn’t afford!

· Registered
2,250 Posts
Hi,

Paul
Great color choice and love my Manual transmission, shifts like a dream….congrats!

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Hi,

Paul
Welcome my fellow Canadian and congrats on your speedy allocation. 🥂 You got the most important option, the 7-Speed Manual Transmission! ;)

· Registered
2023 Carrera 4S
70 Posts
Hi,

Paul

@diddofbean / Paul Congrats man on getting probably the fastest allocation I have seen recently and on your build. I got the SD side skirts and flows really well. Though the front lip is black, it also flows with my 911 being White/Black. I personally also went with the Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass because we live in Sunny SoCal and those seaside drives, days to the beach or just an awesome Sunny Day just make it that much more amazing. I could not agree more with @Als992 that the 911 looks great with the glass roof! I would go with CF if I was looking to track or anything as such for weight purposes. The configurator is black hole which sucks you in and never lets go!

@Als992 Wow did you just bring back some memories. Have me remenicing about those old AutoTraders ha! Good times indeed.

Reactions: Als992

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@diddofbean / Paul Congrats man on getting probably the fastest allocation I have seen recently and on your build. I got the SD side skirts and flows really well. Though the front lip is black, it also flows with my 911 being White/Black. I personally also went with the Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass because we live in Sunny SoCal and those seaside drives, days to the beach or just an awesome Sunny Day just make it that much more amazing. I could not agree more with @Als992 that the 911 looks great with the glass roof! I would go with CF if I was looking to track or anything as such for weight purposes. The configurator is black hole which sucks you in and never lets go!

@Als992 Wow did you just bring back some memories. Have me remenicing about those old AutoTraders ha! Good times indeed.
Thanks. I think I would have 1000 builds (or more) if I had a longer time in the waiting room. I have to say that most builds are great ones! Local dealership has a couple of 992's with all various spec's and as soon as I think my mind is made up I see something else that I'd like to add/change. Your build certainly has all the bells and whistles!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts