Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my recent delivery of my 911 Turbo S. There was the piece of paper that maybe they shouldn't have given me. It was a copy of the dealer title of my car that would transfer to me. So, the MSRP on my car was $260,240. The dealer title said they paid $189,400 for the car. The reason Porsche makes almost everything on the car an option. It's an incentive for the dealers to make you upgrade your purchase. I've been told that the options price is a 50/50 split between the manufacturer and the dealer. So don't feel bad for the dealer. Both VW and dealer are making big bucks. That's why Porsche so very profitable.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Congrats on your new Turbo S. It hurts and I certainly don’t wish to turn the knife in the wound but it’s no secret that « The eighth generation of Porsche's iconic car, is more profitable, proportionately speaking, than any other vehicle and the Turbo variant "is basically pure profit,"

This 2019 article on the 992 is one of many confirming that the Porsche 911 is a Gold Mine. That said, if correct figures are the manufacturers secret, the 50/50 split on options sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
With my recent delivery of my 911 Turbo S. There was the piece of paper that maybe they shouldn't have given me. It was a copy of the dealer title of my car that would transfer to me. So, the MSRP on my car was $260,240. The dealer title said they paid $189,400 for the car. The reason Porsche makes almost everything on the car an option. It's an incentive for the dealers to make you upgrade your purchase. I've been told that the options price is a 50/50 split between the manufacturer and the dealer. So don't feel bad for the dealer. Both VW and dealer are making big bucks. That's why Porsche so very profitable.
It has always been 11 percent I don't know if your car is a 2022 or 23 . A 2021 was 184K and 23 is 195K. Thats exactly 11 percent on the base price which is likely the number you saw . The options are roughly the same . 2023 Porsche 911 MSRP and Invoice Prices | Edmunds

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Holy Hell! I realize its a business but wow thanks for sharing and enjoy the Turbo S Mark!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Holy Hell! I realize its a business but wow thanks for sharing and enjoy the Turbo S Mark!
This old cartoon could be part of the answer! 🤪 LOL!
You guys didn’t look at my link. The number he gave must’ve been the base price invoice. It’s 11% from MSRP. Usually the options are about the same.. On a $260,000 car the dealership paid $28,600 less. That’s their profit plus whatever add-ons they may do to the car.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Really who cares what that 189k meant. You were willing to pay 260k and you paid 260k. Everyone is happy😜
There was a time in my life that I used to look at the invoice prices. It was in the days off less money and trying to get a ““ deal“. I knew that invoice is the absolute lowest although I learned later on that when there are incentives dealerships can even go under invoice. Porsche won’t . Volume cars like BMW or something like Honda will. Those days are over at least at this time.

The OP saw the paper add posted about it. It was just a topic and it’s a worthy one. Dealerships do make money on the car but not that much as implied in the first post. Porsche makes money by selling it to the dealership at invoice to. Use ago somebody looked up the exact cost of building the car. I don’t recall the exact percentage figure but it was significantly lower than how much it ends up retail .

I think the easiest number to remember is 11% with Porsche. That’s how much less they paid for your car then MSRP. It’s across-the-board from a base Micon all the way up to a 911 turbo S.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I dont know where the 11% came from but it makes sense. I know several (on a personal level) owners of various auto dealerships, they are all very tight lipped when it comes to $$$ and what they make on cars. It must be some sort of code. One thing I do know, and it puts a smile on their faces…..when I ask “do you like selling various additional warranties?”

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I dont know where the 11% came from but it makes sense. I know several (on a personal level) owners of various auto dealerships, they are all very tight lipped when it comes to $$$ and what they make on cars. It must be some sort of code. One thing I do know, and it puts a smile on their faces…..when I ask “do you like selling various additional warranties?”
The $189,000 price he saw is likely the base price. I found 2021 and it was 184. 2023 was 195 with the price increase. My guess is he probably has a 2022. In 2021 the MSRP was 204 and in 2023 it was 217. So if the price goes up he’s so does the invoice. I didn’t look for the 2022 but I assume it’s in between those two.

If his car cost $260,000 he has some options it added up. That’s not hard to do with a turbo S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts