Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm new to the board, I've been reading threads here for a couple weeks now and figured I'd dip my toe in the water with an introductory post. I'm Josh, I live in South East Pennsylvania and have been a car guy for 30 yrs. I go back to the original roadfly message board days. I've primarily been a BMW loyalist, but dipped my toe into the Porsche world a few years ago. I have a manual 992S Cab 'on demand' order in the waiting list queue with my local dealer. Best estimate is a year worth of people ahead of me before my allocation comes up. I did make a bunch of calls / emails to other dealeships and have a number of Porsche friends that asked for me, but my local place is ADM free and a good place to do business so unless something major changes, I think I just sit and wait.

I currently have a manual 991.2 base cab that I bought pre-owned the weekend before the COVID shut down in March 2020. I searched for that car for almost a year before finding one that checked most of my boxes. Unfortunately, the one box it didn't check was the exterior color. It's GT Silver with a brown top and espresso natural interior Most people think it is beautiful, but I have never been a silver car guy. I was hoping the fact that it was a 911 would outweigh the fact that it was silver and I'd start looking over my shoulder at it amorously when I parked but that never happened. I finally came to the conclusion that if I'm going to have this much money tied up in a toy, I really should love it, so my wife agreed to let me build my dream. So we are going to sell the 991, or potentially trade it in early if it helps with the waiting list timing and hope an allocation comes up before the .2 cars come out.
For reference, here is my 991: For Sale: 2017 911 Carrera Cabriolet | The Mart | The Porsche Club of America
It's just a half assed for sale listing I put up to see if anyone was interested. The car is still in winter storage at our cottage in NY. I was hoping to bring it home last weekend and get it fully prepped for sale, but the weather didn't cooperate. We do really enjoy the car... I just never got the emotional attachment to it that I hoped.

Attached is my build, I'd love to hear feedback. We are definitely going the GT route over anything pure sports car. We debated PTS Oak or Yachting, but after seeing an Oak turbo and Aventurine GTS next to each other, we decided we actually preferred the Aventurine. I'm hopeful to lock in this spec before the .2 cars are announced and colors / options change or 'g*d forbid" the manual is discontinued. I really love the Black/Cohiba interior and the combination of the Aventurine exterior with the Aurum wheels I feel makes it kind of one off/special. This will be my first new car that I spec'ed and ordered since 2001. I'm really looking forward to a car that is 100% mine.

Attachments

· Registered
2,250 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new to the board, I've been reading threads here for a couple weeks now and figured I'd dip my toe in the water with an introductory post. I'm Josh, I live in South East Pennsylvania and have been a car guy for 30 yrs. I go back to the original roadfly message board days. I've primarily been a BMW loyalist, but dipped my toe into the Porsche world a few years ago. I have a manual 992S Cab 'on demand' order in the waiting list queue with my local dealer. Best estimate is a year worth of people ahead of me before my allocation comes up. I did make a bunch of calls / emails to other dealeships and have a number of Porsche friends that asked for me, but my local place is ADM free and a good place to do business so unless something major changes, I think I just sit and wait.

I currently have a manual 991.2 base cab that I bought pre-owned the weekend before the COVID shut down in March 2020. I searched for that car for almost a year before finding one that checked most of my boxes. Unfortunately, the one box it didn't check was the exterior color. It's GT Silver with a brown top and espresso natural interior Most people think it is beautiful, but I have never been a silver car guy. I was hoping the fact that it was a 911 would outweigh the fact that it was silver and I'd start looking over my shoulder at it amorously when I parked but that never happened. I finally came to the conclusion that if I'm going to have this much money tied up in a toy, I really should love it, so my wife agreed to let me build my dream. So we are going to sell the 991, or potentially trade it in early if it helps with the waiting list timing and hope an allocation comes up before the .2 cars come out.
For reference, here is my 991: For Sale: 2017 911 Carrera Cabriolet | The Mart | The Porsche Club of America
It's just a half assed for sale listing I put up to see if anyone was interested. The car is still in winter storage at our cottage in NY. I was hoping to bring it home last weekend and get it fully prepped for sale, but the weather didn't cooperate. We do really enjoy the car... I just never got the emotional attachment to it that I hoped.

Attached is my build, I'd love to hear feedback. We are definitely going the GT route over anything pure sports car. We debated PTS Oak or Yachting, but after seeing an Oak turbo and Aventurine GTS next to each other, we decided we actually preferred the Aventurine. I'm hopeful to lock in this spec before the .2 cars are announced and colors / options change or 'g*d forbid" the manual is discontinued. I really love the Black/Cohiba interior and the combination of the Aventurine exterior with the Aurum wheels I feel makes it kind of one off/special. This will be my first new car that I spec'ed and ordered since 2001. I'm really looking forward to a car that is 100% mine.
Josh, welcome to the Forum! I’m in Lancaster Pa/Lititz so good luck with the new 911! I am a GT Silver guy so I think they look great in any color….congrats!

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,496 Posts
Hi All,

I used to post on Roadfly . After my first 997 had the lights stolen three times I sold the car and temporarily got a 3 series to drive . I posted in the E90 Forum and the M3 lounge . One RL not long ago it was posted that PTS was halted for 23 . A friend off mine got one but that was before the halt . I don't know what the status is now if you back out of aventurine .
I dont see the build code .

Edit -- now I see it . Its very nice . I have seen aventurine truffle on RL . You chose nice options and focused on combination of sport and comfort . No PASM ?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@BobbyG - Thanks for the the welcome. Do you participate in any of the local PCA events in our area? I get to a few of the more social drives with Riesentoter and they're a ton of fun. Every November we do the Phil-a-Frunk event food drive event and parade ~100k lbs worth of canned goods down to the Phliabundance food drive. Its awesome. Maybe we'll cross paths and say hi in person.

@yrralis1 - I skipped Sport PASM, the 10mm lower one. All 991.2 -> 992 have PASM standard. We have a little cottage on one of the NY finger lakes and the driveway is steep. Our 991 with regular PASM handles it pretty well now, better than my BMW 135 which scrapes almost every time. I figured if I went with the sport package and included SPASM, I would probably want FAL, which added cost for minimal gain.

@touge - Yes, we spent a good deal of time at Porsche of the Main Line (my local dealer) looking as many of the various options as possible. I was able to park an Aventurine car next to a PTS Oak Green Car and some of the other exterior colors all side by side to confirm I'm good with Aventurine. They had a car with the heritage interior package, and a couple with the black / cognac combo so I have a good idea of what the interior will look like. There is a local guy to me that has a 992 Targa with the Black / Cohiba interior that I spec'ed so I've seen that in person as well. It is a little more orange than I'd prefer, but very nice. RE: new car prep, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. I plan to get a 3/4 PPF done when we pick it up. We are debating Euro deliver at Zuffenhausen and/or taking delivery at Atlanta. If we do Atlanta, I'd probably track wrap it and we'd spend ~ a week driving home through Asheville, the Smokeys, the Blue Ridge, the Bourbon trail, etc. from GA to PA. Once it's home it will take the role of our current 911. Joy rides to the grocery store, country road trips and wine tours in FLX. It should have a pretty charmed life.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
@BobbyG - Thanks for the the welcome. Do you participate in any of the local PCA events in our area? I get to a few of the more social drives with Riesentoter and they're a ton of fun. Every November we do the Phil-a-Frunk event food drive event and parade ~100k lbs worth of canned goods down to the Phliabundance food drive. Its awesome. Maybe we'll cross paths and say hi in person.

@yrralis1 - I skipped Sport PASM, the 10mm lower one. All 991.2 -> 992 have PASM standard. We have a little cottage on one of the NY finger lakes and the driveway is steep. Our 991 with regular PASM handles it pretty well now, better than my BMW 135 which scrapes almost every time. I figured if I went with the sport package and included SPASM, I would probably want FAL, which added cost for minimal gain.

@touge - Yes, we spent a good deal of time at Porsche of the Main Line (my local dealer) looking as many of the various options as possible. I was able to park an Aventurine car next to a PTS Oak Green Car and some of the other exterior colors all side by side to confirm I'm good with Aventurine. They had a car with the heritage interior package, and a couple with the black / cognac combo so I have a good idea of what the interior will look like. There is a local guy to me that has a 992 Targa with the Black / Cohiba interior that I spec'ed so I've seen that in person as well. It is a little more orange than I'd prefer, but very nice. RE: new car prep, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. I plan to get a 3/4 PPF done when we pick it up. We are debating Euro deliver at Zuffenhausen and/or taking delivery at Atlanta. If we do Atlanta, I'd probably track wrap it and we'd spend ~ a week driving home through Asheville, the Smokeys, the Blue Ridge, the Bourbon trail, etc. from GA to PA. Once it's home it will take the role of our current 911. Joy rides to the grocery store, country road trips and wine tours in FLX. It should have a pretty charmed life.
Josh, I tried to attend some PCA stuff in the past but things popped up. I really only go to cars and coffee stuff maybe twice a year or so.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Josh, I tried to attend some PCA stuff in the past but things popped up. I really only go to cars and coffee stuff maybe twice a year or so.
I know the feeling trying to schedule anything. We hit the Cars and Coffee at the Northbrook Markeplace at rt 842 & Northbrook Road three or four times a summer. It's a really nice / low key cars and coffee. Always has some very rare / cool cars from Chester County horse country without the burn out crazed riff/raff of the bigger C&Cs around here. Last time we were there, somebody rolled up in a 1923 Overland brass era car and parked it next to a black '73 2.7 Carrera RS (one of 62 ever made), just hanging out. Plus the shop that hosts has great breakfasts sandwiches, apple cider donuts and other local farm products.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
I know the feeling trying to schedule anything. We hit the Cars and Coffee at the Northbrook Markeplace at rt 842 & Northbrook Road three or four times a summer. It's a really nice / low key cars and coffee. Always has some very rare / cool cars from Chester County horse country without the burn out crazed riff/raff of the bigger C&Cs around here. Last time we were there, somebody rolled up in a 1923 Overland brass era car and parked it next to a black '73 2.7 Carrera RS (one of 62 ever made), just hanging out. Plus the shop that hosts has great breakfasts sandwiches, apple cider donuts and other local farm products.
Sounds cool! Lancaster Porsche has one or 2 per year and is well attended. I think that’s the last one I attended.

· Registered
202 Posts
Hi All,

Welcome Josh and there is really something to be said to put your own build together to reflect your own personal tastes. Everyone is different and that is ok. Sorry to say that i'm one of those "silver guys" but can appreciate all variants and have changed my build several times (like most of us) and kept going back to what i like. You're the only one that knows that and btw, i love Aventurine green and would have considered that for my T had they offered it but I'm super happy with GT S. The most important thing is that you are getting the manual! Nice build too. I say go for it. Life is short!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So my whole plan just went to sh*t. I was on the configurator today and Aventurine is gone. I'm not in love with any of the new colors. My build went up in price over $10k (before I think about PTS) and still no signs of allocations. I know this is serious first world problems, but I'm cranky about it all.

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,496 Posts
So my whole plan just went to sh*t. I was on the configurator today and Aventurine is gone. I'm not in love with any of the new colors. My build went up in price over $10k (before I think about PTS) and still no signs of allocations. I know this is serious first world problems, but I'm cranky about it all.
The closest thing to Aventurine is Agate . PTS was somewhat recently declared unavailable . Had my first choice color (Gt silver) had stop sale then flat white would have won . I would not have shed one tear because at the end of the day the car is more important than the color . The only time the color becomes a very big deal is if you buy it and hate it .

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The closest thing to Aventurine is Agate . PTS was somewhat recently declared unavailable . Had my first choice color (Gt silver) had stop sale then flat white would have won . I would not have shed one tear because at the end of the day the car is more important than the color . The only time the color becomes a very big deal is if you buy it and hate it .
I understand what you're saying, but for me the only reason to step up from my current car (the GT Silver 991.2) to my new build was the color. I don't look back at my car now and get that lusty "she's beautiful" feeling. I was planning on moving to the 992 so I could build my exact spec and get it 'just right'. The exterior color and the exclusive interior were the major selling points, and now one of those is no longer available.

· Registered
Coming soon!!!!
242 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but for me the only reason to step up from my current car (the GT Silver 991.2) to my new build was the color. I don't look back at my car now and get that lusty "she's beautiful" feeling. I was planning on moving to the 992 so I could build my exact spec and get it 'just right'. The exterior color and the exclusive interior were the major selling points, and now one of those is no longer available.

There is always the PTS option. It’s expensive but if you’re keeping the car for a long time and really love that colour it may be worth it. That’ll give you plenty of choices to agonize over! I’d personally go nuts with that many options.

I heard rumours that PTS was not available a while back but I’ve recently seen cars posted with PTS colours so I assume it’s back.

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,496 Posts
There’s another way of looking at this. Every person who bought an aventurine 992 stamped a model year on it. I fear this will happen with chalk colors like white , black, GT silver or timeless. When I look at my first 911 in White, I don’t feel that the color in any way states that vehicle. Oh, when I see a graphite, blue car, I already know it’s a 991.2. Some colors were more short-lived than others. I think of a color like palladium or impulse red were they only lasted one year on the Macan. On the 911 such as the case with lizard green. Those one year colors are the ones that failed . If it bothers you that much see if you can get a paint sample. I have to admit that as much as I liked the idea of buying chalk, I hated paying the $3000 for it and now that I have the color it’s OK but no lust as you describe. I still love the car and I’m OK with chalk. I even think it’s pretty nice every once in a while.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
There’s another way of looking at this. Every person who bought an aventurine 992 stamped a model year on it. I fear this will happen with chalk colors like white , black, GT silver or timeless. When I look at my first 911 in White, I don’t feel that the color in any way states that vehicle. Oh, when I see a graphite, blue car, I already know it’s a 991.2. Some colors were more short-lived than others. I think of a color like palladium or impulse red were they only lasted one year on the Macan. On the 911 such as the case with lizard green. Those one year colors are the ones that failed . If it bothers you that much see if you can get a paint sample. I have to admit that as much as I liked the idea of buying chalk, I hated paying the $3000 for it and now that I have the color it’s OK but no lust as you describe. I still love the car and I’m OK with chalk. I even think it’s pretty nice every once in a while.
You always want to change something sometime. For example, i LUUUUUUUUV my GT Silver/Red combo I struggled with also choosing Carmine Red. LOVE that color also….a lot. I would even consider another 911 in Carmine Red down the line but who knows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts