Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings 992 forum. New member, not new to the Porsche brand. First Porsche was a 2017 Macan base which I traded up one year ago for a 2022 Macan S. Now the plan is to do a makeover on my garage with wider door and a 4 post lift in order to add a 911T to the collection. Yes they hooked me. I know a new T is a long wait. No problem. I have my build ready to go The Porsche Code. Plan on visiting my dealership soon and get in line. I know I'm number 2. If anyone would care to comment on my build feel free. What about gloss black wheel option vs stock gray? Should they remain gray to keep with the T designation? Also if the wait is so long the .2 models go into production, I would assume at that point a new code would be required. Wonder how that works?

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,312 Posts
Greetings 992 forum. New member, not new to the Porsche brand. First Porsche was a 2017 Macan base which I traded up one year ago for a 2022 Macan S. Now the plan is to do a makeover in my garage with wider door and a 4 post lift in order to add a 911T to the collection. Yes they hooked me. I know a new T is a long wait. No problem. I have my build ready to go The Porsche Code. Plan on visiting my dealership soon and get in line. I know I'm number 2. If anyone would care to comment on my build feel free. What about gloss black wheel option vs stock gray? Should they remain gray to keep with the T designation? Also if the wait it so long the .2 models go into production, I would assume at that point a new code would be required. Wonder how that works?
I like car and your ideas . I would make a few minor changes .

1) I like the deletion of the side decals .
2) I like that you want a black wheel on a red car BUT not gloss . I would get the satin . The gloss is not only a stone chip magnet but the satin looks nicer . I have a picture of a 991.2 T in red that I will post . It has satin .
3) The red dials and belts are fine but I would cut the trim . Its overkill . I think carbon fiber inlays are much nicer .
4) I absolutely would not get the glass sunroof . It is added weight right smack in the center of mass for a sports car that is designed to be "lightweight" . It changes the driving dynamics . Put it in a Macan .. not a 911. The regular steel roof is ideal and and if you are obsessed like me the carbon fiber roof is amazing (I have it ) .
5) Race Tex steering wheel - Thats personal taste . It is harder to clean and I prefer the hand / touch Gt wheel in leather. even though the rest of my GTS has the race tex package .

Heres the 991 that I took for a drive in 2018 . satin wheels , red belts .,

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover

Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive lighting

· Registered
783 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Rusty!
I disagree with @yrralis1 re #4🤪. If you plan to race the car and win (are into racing) then do not get the sunroof. Plus, if you are a professional race car driver (like @yrralis1 😀) then perhaps “dynamics” of regular street driving would be noticeably different (sunroof vs no sunroof). I have the sunroof and I like it a lot. While closed it provides additional light which makes the cabin feel larger. And I speak from experience since I have both (one 911 with sunroof and one without).

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,312 Posts
I disagree with @yrralis1 re #4🤪. If you plan to race the car and win (are into racing) then do not get the sunroof. Plus, if you are a professional race car driver (like @yrralis1 😀) then perhaps “dynamics” of regular street driving would be noticeably different (sunroof vs no sunroof). I have the sunroof and I like it a lot. While closed it provides additional light which makes the cabin feel larger. And I speak from experience since I have both (one 911 with sunroof and one without).
The Carrera T is a car which even removed the seats to cut weight . They even put lighter glass !!!! Its the entire premise of the car !!!

There are numerous articles and data points of torsional rigidity changes by cutting a hole in a roof and placing it in the center of the car . Not to mention adding weight at that point .https://www.thedrive.com/article/419...-get-a-sunroof

Note the comparisons of roof vs no roof vs Cab (992 is not done yet)
http://youwheel.com/home/2016/06/20/...ehensive-list/

This goes into explaining what torsional rigidity is and what makes it different Torsional Rigidity: Everything You Need to Know! - TunedTrends

In this part one sees cages and strut bars under hoods . Sunroofs destroy this .Torsional Rigidity: Everything You Need to Know! - TunedTrends

Now I understand that if its a leisure car and one finds it fun then who cares but it is a 130K 911 . Why not make it stick to the parameters of performance ? is the little bit of occasional sunlight worth it?

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,312 Posts
PS the one "without a sunroof" is a convertible 😱
Tell him the real story .

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,312 Posts
Yes it is. With the roof up the cab feels very dark (roof being black) and smaller.
The Cab roof in a 991 is different than a coupe 992 . Its apples to oranges . Its not even the same car.
Bessides once one buys a cab the whole idea of "lightweight purist " (Carrera T ) is non existent . They dont make a Carrera T Cab .
No Sunroof in Gt3 cars and thats the car the T is compared to (the touring ) . Despite many big differences the the concept of a purist drivers car is the central thing in common .

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,312 Posts
The more I think about it, you are correct. I forgot about the small rear window on the cab. That might be the difference.
Top up visibility is a big deal in a convertible. Obviously the top down changes that. It’s a very different type of car than the Carrera T. Porsche is trying to accomplish something with the T .

· Registered
1,894 Posts
The blind spots in coupe are fine, in cab awful. I still love my sunroof😜
Rusty, welcome to the forum, the garage remodel and just know that Larry is basically the Pope on this Forum! Ask him anything and he will ALWAYS give an honest opinion and evaluation. Just upgraded my cave/garage so post pics before and after.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting

Plant Road surface Asphalt Floor Automotive tire

Wood Fashion design Flooring Ceiling Ladder

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
Still waiting….
119 Posts

· Registered
1,272 Posts
I like car and your ideas . I would make a few minor changes .

1) I like the deletion of the side decals .
2) I like that you want a black wheel on a red car BUT not gloss . I would get the satin . The gloss is not only a stone chip magnet but the satin looks nicer . I have a picture of a 991.2 T in red that I will post . It has satin .
3) The red dials and belts are fine but I would cut the trim . Its overkill . I think carbon fiber inlays are much nicer .
4) I absolutely would not get the glass sunroof . It is added weight right smack in the center of mass for a sports car that is designed to be "lightweight" . It changes the driving dynamics . Put it in a Macan .. not a 911. The regular steel roof is ideal and and if you are obsessed like me the carbon fiber roof is amazing (I have it ) .
5) Race Tex steering wheel - Thats personal taste . It is harder to clean and I prefer the hand / touch Gt wheel in leather. even though the rest of my GTS has the race tex package .

Heres the 991 that I took for a drive in 2018 . satin wheels , red belts .,

View attachment 1704
View attachment 1705
View attachment 1706
Welcome to the Forum @Rusty! You have chosen the weight stripped performance focused 992 T (Hence @yrralis1 comments on the sunroof) but you haven’t taken advantage of its best asset which is the manual transmission (not available on the base). You should if you don’t drive exclusively in city traffic.

Like everything else, the sunroof will be a personnal preference unless it's of primary importance to keep weight and center of gravity low for track use (I listen to @yrralis1). Some like the cabin dark and cool and others enjoy the fact that the roof glass brings light and spaciousness into the cabin. Get what you want. Purists also used to think that getting a 911 cab was pure heresy. Maybe so, but what a joy to drive (for me).

I do agree with @yrralis1 about the interior trim in exterior color. It’s just too much IMO 😬 I personally think the standard trim in the 992 is very nice. Again, your preference.

Congrats and keep us posted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts