Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! New person to this forum. Getting ready to put my order in for a 992 C4S...and then wait. Curious...how was the wait time for these pre-COVID?

Hope to glean some good information form you folks, and contribute what I can.

Cheers!

Tim

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,314 Posts
Before Covid there was no supply chain shortages either. It was a whole different world with these cars. Dealerships had cars on their lot and people were getting 8% off discount. There was no wait time if someone wanted a car and found it. If he ordered a car three months.

That changed with Covid at first. First there was the lockdown. Then people got sick at the factory and was causing a slow down. After they got Covid, somewhat managed between vaccine, previous illness, and some immunity, treatments, and less severe virus variant a new problem emerged.

That problem was the supply chain shortage with chips , there was a fire at one factory and that caused a huge problem as the other supplier went dry. Add to the mix. That’s so many chips. We used in remote work that they were a few were available for cars.

As if that wasn’t enough, next came the war in Ukraine. Aside from all the human suffering , Ukraine made the wiring harness for the 911 which caused a parts shortage.

That’s not all of it. A boat caught fire and sank carrying cars. Another boat had cars get loose and damaged.

That’s a summary in the last three years.

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! Do you have a build in mind?
Why awd?
Thanks! I have already built the car on the Porsche website. A friend of mine is the GM of a Porsche dealership local to me and I'll bring the "build sheet" to him and order the car...hopefully! In regards to AWD - nothing specific that I can put my finger on. I've had vehicles that were 2WD and AWD. I'm thinking a 911 with AWD would be a blast to drive!

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before Covid there was no supply chain shortages either. It was a whole different world with these cars. Dealerships had cars on their lot and people were getting 8% off discount. There was no wait time if someone wanted a car and found it. If he ordered a car three months.

That changed with Covid at first. First there was the lockdown. Then people got sick at the factory and was causing a slow down. After they got Covid, somewhat managed between vaccine, previous illness, and some immunity, treatments, and less severe virus variant a new problem emerged.

That problem was the supply chain shortage with chips , there was a fire at one factory and that caused a huge problem as the other supplier went dry. Add to the mix. That’s so many chips. We used in remote work that they were a few were available for cars.

As if that wasn’t enough, next came the war in Ukraine. Aside from all the human suffering , Ukraine made the wiring harness for the 911 which caused a parts shortage.

That’s not all of it. A boat caught fire and sank carrying cars. Another boat had cars get loose and damaged.

That’s a summary in the last three years.
Thanks...I think! ;)

I have never ordered a car before, so I was wondering...

· Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks...I think! ;)

I have never ordered a car before, so I was wondering...
RugbyRef, welcome to the forum! There are MANY different challenges these days for sure but took delivery of my 911 last March And I think I ordered it the previous October if that helps. Seems like you have a “friend” in the business so that’s a good thing….best of luck!

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Thanks! I have already built the car on the Porsche website. A friend of mine is the GM of a Porsche dealership local to me and I'll bring the "build sheet" to him and order the car...hopefully! In regards to AWD - nothing specific that I can put my finger on. I've had vehicles that were 2WD and AWD. I'm thinking a 911 with AWD would be a blast to drive!
Welcome Tim! In these troubled times having a "friend" is a good thing and if he likes scotch, a nice bottle of single malt could also help! LOL! :p

Please share your build so we can give you some "constructive" criticism and make you spend some extra money. We're good at that. Ha! Starting with the AWD preference. Are you planning to track your 992 or maybe drive it in the snow?

· Registered
1,897 Posts
Welcome Tim! In these troubled times having a "friend" is a good thing and if he likes scotch, a nice bottle of single malt could also help! LOL! :p

Please share your build so we can give you some "constructive" criticism and make you spend some extra money. We're good at that. Ha! Starting with the AWD preference. Are you planning to track your 992 or maybe drive it in the snow?
Larry and Charles will spend your hard earned dollars wisely! 😎 💵🥃

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Yes, i am. Did ask for the build. Enjoying my last evening at the lake. Heading back to the city tomorrow and to Miami next week
Good timing because « winter is coming » in Canada. I knew you were following but just felt bad not including black in the best colors! LOL!

My winter season started with a flat on the Macan today! 😡 To my surprise, Porsche just patched the tire. I didn’t argue. 😉

· Registered
1,897 Posts
Bobby. Orderting is toture . I miss the days of lot cars . Granted a car on the lot might miss an option or not be a first choice order but convenience wins .
Remember all the hoopla where you and I were chasing boats ?
My nights and days discussing the boat voyage took up most of my time that I’ll never get back!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts