Porsche 992 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the PPF (full trunk, front bumper, wings, mirors and rocker panels) AND ceramic coating done by dealer since I was able to include it in the contract. Then, because of the light color interior I chose, I went to the detailing guy I've know for more than 12 years for the leather protection.

When I went to get my car back he told me that the dealer didn't put ceramic over the film and that "it doesn't shed water like it should"!!!! :oops: He was unequivocal. First I thought he could be jealous because I didn't give HIM the job but I have no reason to doubt his word or his expertise because he's very busy...and he was almost embarassed to tell me!!! Geezzz!

I just wrote to my dealer asking if they subcontracted the work and had any doubts on the previous jobs or if they did the job themselves could an oversight have happened? :rolleyes:

Waiting for the answer. It's nothing serious but I imagine most people wouldn't even notice. Will see if it's a genuine "oversight" (how could that be?) or if they just lost my trust!!! Moral of the story is to have all detailing done yourself unless you get it for "free"...but then you can get !"/$&* My guy also told me that the ceramic they used on the paint was "cheap" quality!

P.S. After torturing myself for more than a year about the color combo, I can say today that I just LOVE it. And that Gentian Blue really pops in full sun! Very happy! :giggle:

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
They do send out the work . Its not very good either . I have seen the results on other cars . I have my guy and they know it , The Gentian Cab looks fantastic . How many miles (kilometers) do you have ? I am up to 700.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do send out the work . Its not very good either . I have seen the results on other cars . I have my guy and they know it , The Gentian Cab looks fantastic . How many miles (kilometers) do you have ? I am up to 700.
365 km (226 mi) after a week (minus a day in detailing) and loving every one of them! I LOVE that car. Seriously, I'm coming from a base 981 so I'm in my learning curve while the car is in it's break-in period. We're getting used to each other! LOL!

Just the sound of that engine is magic. Still trying to find something wrong. The only thing could be the long gears in the MT. This is what I wrote to @Als992

1. Lovely well-weighted short shifter
2. Crisp solid shifts
3. Clear engagement point (midway)
4. Gearing seems fairly long but I don’t mind
5. Clutch pedal is "light" ideally situated (too light?) but that effortless depression is much appreciated when in traffic 😅

I will add that the auto rev-matching (only in sports mode) makes me feel like a heal/toe pro! LOL

I'm staying between 4k-5k RPM for now....but that break-in period seems to vary according to who you talk to. :rolleyes:

I still can't believe they didn't apply the ceramic on the film?! :mad:

·
Registered
700 Posts
365 km (226 mi) after a week (minus a day in detailing) and loving every one of them! I LOVE that car. Seriously, I'm coming from a base 981 so I'm in my learning curve while the car is in it's break-in period. We're getting used to each other! LOL!

Just the sound of that engine is magic. Still trying to find something wrong. The only thing could be the long gears in the MT. This is what I wrote to @Als992

1. Lovely well-weighted short shifter
2. Crisp solid shifts
3. Clear engagement point (midway)
4. Gearing seems fairly long but I don’t mind
5. Clutch pedal is "light" ideally situated (too light?) but that effortless depression is much appreciated when in traffic 😅

I will add that the auto rev-matching (only in sports mode) makes me feel like a heal/toe pro! LOL

I'm staying between 4k-5k RPM for now....but that break-in period seems to vary according to who you talk to. :rolleyes:

I still can't believe they didn't apply the ceramic on the film?! :mad:
Car looks great so I hope it all works out. Rev Match is amazing and its sport mode all the time for me! I have 3200 miles so you all need to catch up!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car looks great so I hope it all works out. Rev Match is amazing and its sport mode all the time for me! I have 3200 miles so you all need to catch up!
Sport mode of course. Love those crackles and pops! But I want to ask Larry if it's better to warm up the engine oil before switching to Sport Mode and doing any spirited driving?

For now, i always start on Normal and switch after a few miles. I suppose it doesn't matter which one you use to warm the car up. Just take it easy until it’s fully warmed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sport mode of course. Love those crackles and pops! But I want to ask Larry if it's better to warm up the engine oil before switching to Sport Mode and doing any spirited driving?

For now, i always start on Normal and switch after a few miles. I suppose it doesn't matter which one you use to warm the car up. Just take it easy until it’s fully warmed.
After break in anything goes!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After break in anything goes!
I'm definetely NO expert Bobby but I have heard (somewhere?) that the most wear on your engine typically happens when you first start it up before the oil starts flowing and before it is up to temperature. Some cars even have a red line for RPMs that moves up as the car gets to temperature. Not sure it's a good idea to start your car cold every day and then rev the shit out of it :eek: But what do I know? LOL!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm definetely NO expert Bobby but I have heard (somewhere?) that the most wear on your engine typically happens when you first start it up before the oil starts flowing and before it is up to temperature. Some cars even have a red line for RPMs that moves up as the car gets to temperature. Not sure it's a good idea to start your car cold every day and then rev the shit out of it :eek: But what do I know? LOL!
No worries…I don’t rev it either but I found after I start it and pull out of the garage it warms up to idle much quicker instead of sitting there waiting for it to warm up. Not sure why.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries…I don’t rev it either but I found after I start it and pull out of the garage it warms up to idle much quicker instead of sitting there waiting for it to warm up. Not sure why.
Interesting. I’ll test that.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Interesting. I’ll test that.
Also, I don’t recall who made the statement about the car opening/unlocking when approached but my car doesn’t do that. I have to run my hand under the door handle which is at times a little finicky.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I don’t recall who made the statement about the car opening/unlocking when approached but my car doesn’t do that. I have to run my hand under the door handle which is at times a little finicky.
That was me. Just walking to the car and it unlocks a few feet from the door. The range is such that I now put the keys in a Faraday box in the living room. It would « communicate » to the car and even unlocked it once…from the living room situated one floor above the basement garage! 😳

·
Registered
700 Posts
That was me. Just walking to the car and it unlocks a few feet from the door. The range is such that I now put the keys in a Faraday box in the living room. It would « communicate » to the car and even unlocked it once…from the living room situated one floor above the basement garage! 😳
OMG that’s crazy! I wonder why yours does that….I’m not complaining!

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is true . The engine MUST be fully warmed up before stomping on it (unless. an emergency avoidance move is imperative).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It
OMG that’s crazy! I wonder why yours does that….I’m not complaining!
It was a bit "scary" at first but I got used to it and actually enjoy not having to run my hand under the door. My worry (when the key was in it's usual place in my living room) was the constant "communication" between the fob and the car that could drain the battery (the key's battery if not the cars).

Like I said, the Farday box or pouch blocks all signals and fits perfectly in the drawer I've always put my keys in (old habits are hard to change). If I walk to the car with the keys inside the box, no signal is detected. It's apparently also good against high-tech crooks that can pick up your key signal.

P.S. I found out TODAY that the second key works "normally" and I have to run my hand under the handle to unlock the door?! Oh well, I guess I'll have the choice. Don't ask me why the first key has such a strong signal?

·
Registered
700 Posts
It

It was a bit "scary" at first but I got used to it and actually enjoy not having to run my hand under the door. My worry (when the key was in it's usual place in my living room) was the constant "communication" between the fob and the car that could drain the battery (the key's battery if not the cars).

Like I said, the Farday box or pouch blocks all signals and fits perfectly in the drawer I've always put my keys in (old habits are hard to change). If I walk to the car with the keys inside the box, no signal is detected. It's apparently also good against high-tech crooks that can pick up your key signal.

P.S. I found out TODAY that the second key works "normally" and I have to run my hand under the handle to unlock the door?! Oh well, I guess I'll have the choice. Don't ask me why the first key has such a strong signal?
Interesting. Maybe I’ll switch keys to see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE

Went to my dealer and met with the detailing boss who sprayed the hood and was satisfied with the water beading test. Honestly, so was I. He did mention that they have TWO quality grade nano-ceramic products and that the one I got for "free" was the cheaper one! LOL! The nano ceramic "pro" goes for around $1600 CAD ($1300US) vs $700 CAD ($550US) for the one I got and that didn't satisfy my personnal detailer...who does charge about $1600 CAD for the job.

Moral of the story: you get what you pay for! Especially when you get it for free! :sneaky:

BTW I remember the good old days when we just waxed our cars!!! :unsure:

·
Registered
700 Posts
UPDATE

Went to my dealer and met with the detailing boss who sprayed the hood and was satisfied with the water beading test. Honestly, so was I. He did mention that they have TWO quality grade nano-ceramic products and that the one I got for "free" was the cheaper one! LOL! The nano ceramic "pro" goes for around $1600 CAD ($1300US) vs $700 CAD ($550US) for the one I got and that didn't satisfy my personnal detailer...who does charge about $1600 CAD for the job.

Moral of the story: you get what you pay for! Especially when you get it for free! :sneaky:

BTW I remember the good old days when we just waxed our cars!!! :unsure:
Nice! I only did PPF and no ceramic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts