Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am patiently waiting for my GTS to arrive (end of May apparently). The weather in the north east this morning is perfect for tire discussion. We did not get any snow but places like Montreal did. I already switched from winter tires to summers on my Macan. If there was snow on the ground this morning the Macan would not leave the driveway. But it is cold 35*F. Is it safe to drive on summers in such temp?

This brings me to another question. I do not plan on getting winter tires for the GTS. Getting a second set of wheels with center locks leaves me with few aftermarket options that are still very expensive. Using the existing wheels and flipping just the tires would put too much stress on the rims. I do not fore see the car being used much in the winter but on occasion for sure. Zero usage between Jan and Apr as we winter in Florida. I see the car being used on a cold dry day here and there in Nov/Dec. Is it safe? Unlike Quebec, Ontario does not have compulsory winter tire use law in winter. I understand, the soft sticky summer tire compound will be hard in cold weather and not as responsive. But is it safe? After I post this I will take the Macan for a spirited drive. It is just about freezing and the car has Michelin Latitude sports 3 (love them)!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am patiently waiting for my GTS to arrive (end of May apparently). The weather in the north east this morning is perfect for tire discussion. We did not get any snow but places like Montreal did. I already switched from winter tires to summers on my Macan. If there was snow on the ground this morning the Macan would not leave the driveway. But it is cold 35*F. Is it safe to drive on summers in such temp?

This brings me to another question. I do not plan on getting winter tires for the GTS. Getting a second set of wheels with center locks leaves me with few aftermarket options that are still very expensive. Using the existing wheels and flipping just the tires would put too much stress on the rims. I do not fore see the car being used much in the winter but on occasion for sure. Zero usage between Jan and Apr as we winter in Florida. I see the car being used on a cold dry day here and there in Nov/Dec. Is it safe? Unlike Quebec, Ontario does not have compulsory winter tire use law in winter. I understand, the soft sticky summer tire compound will be hard in cold weather and not as responsive. But is it safe? After I post this I will take the Macan for a spirited drive. It is just about freezing and the car has Michelin Latitude sports 3 (love them)!
You really put too ,much at risk . A lot of guys store the car all. winter into spring . Under 40 degrees and I would be terrified . There also is a difference between a place when the temp drops but warms up in the day than a place where it remains cold .

I asked the question on Rennlist. (opinions vary)

·
Registered
800 Posts

I personally would'nt consider driving in winter on summer tires (I'm chicken) but some will tell you that If you have the ability to be selective about when you drive your 911 and you don’t want to spend the money on winter wheels and tires, then that’s fine. Hmm.:unsure:

See how helpful I was? ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts