Porsche 992 Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is a Post I just made. It may help you:

Background/Context: I am 60 years old. My first Porsche was a 2009 987 Cayman base six speed manual purchased about 5 years ago. My second Porsche was a 2015 981 Cayman GTS PDK purchased about 2 years ago. My daily is a 2014 Mercedes E350 (176k miles!)
This is a preliminary review since I have not reached the recommended mileage (1,400 miles) before RPM’s are recommended above 4,000. I have had the Targa since August 18th, 2022. Mileage is 723.
I will be specific, even meticulous in this review, not because I am not loving this vehicle (I am!) but to provide feedback that may help others.
BUILD:
992 Targa4S
Carrera white
Bordeaux/black full leather interior
Targa roof in black
Power steering plus (here comes the hate messages!)
Wheel centers with color
GT sport steering wheel in leather
Porsche Crest on center headrests
Innodrive
911 Turbo wheels
Power sport seats fourteen way
Under door puddle light projectors (my son really wanted me to get these)
Sport design side skirts
Sport Package
Premium Package

LOOKS:

I like the looks of the 911better than the Cayman from all views except the back. Nothing beats a Cayman from the rear. I do prefer the 911’s more rounded headlamps compared to the 981 Cayman as they are more traditional. I also prefer the 911’s more rounded bulges behind the headlights on the hood. The 981 had creases that I think were there to make the Cayman look more modern. I liked the Cayman 987 more from this vantage point. I am thrilled with the look of the Turbo S wheels. They are rare…why? I am glad that I chose the side skirts..pricey but finishes the look from the sides.
TARGA SYSTEM:
The Targa with the top down showing the two-tone interior is stunning. My biggest worry before owning the Targa was the potential for excess noise and buffeting when the top was down. I am more than satisfied with the Targa design. With the wind deflector up, one cannot get any buffeting no matter where the windows are. The noise is so much less than I thought. My wife and I drove eighty miles on the interstate at about 75mph. We talked in normal voices the whole way! I am sensitive to noises and am thrilled that this is a non-issue!
INTERIOR:
Fantastic. The change from the previous 911’s (991) gray smooth trim along the dashboard to the highly textured surface is a vast improvement. I am surprised it was not an option. The fit and finish is excellent. So many expensive cars have a dash that looks like an iPad was glued on. I would never accept this. The 992 dash is beautifully crafted into the dash. The enter/exit feature of the seats is a luxury for me as well as practical in that it protects the side bolsters from wear: the seat moves back when the ignition is turned off and return to the driving position once the ignition is turned on.
Seating: I ordered the fourteen ways seats partly because the eighteen ways were much more expensive and did not come with the much nicer backing of the fourteen ways. The seats are comfortable but do not hug you (at least not me---5’8 170lbs. I do like the fact that they have the extension of the front under the knees. I am disappointed that they are not a bit more snug but that is what the eighteen ways are for.
The sport steering wheel blocks the outermost gauges more so than the standard wheel. I have viewed so many reviews that presented this situation as a big flaw. I did not think it was such a big issue. I still do not, however, the steering wheel really does completely block both outer gauges. It takes more effort than I thought to see them. The passenger can see them easily.
Back seat: There is so much more room than I thought! Even though the Targa has less space than the coupe, I was pleased at the amount of space. I took my mother-in-law for a ride in the front seat while my wife was in the back seat-No problem.
There are two function buttons that are programmable, one on the wheel and one on the dash. The options are a bit limited. I have start/stop function “off” for the button on the wheel and “view” outside of car for the dash button.
The PCM is well designed. It is quite easy to use and very intuitive. Well done, Porsche!

STEERING/HANDLING

Oh my…fantastic. There is zero steering play with perfect weighting. I cannot imagine how it could be improved. The handling is just breathtaking. I have not even been over 4,000 revs yet and I can tell this car will be a blast when I can really use the full capability.
This is the first turbocharged car I have ever owned. I do notice a bit of turbo lag, but it is about ½ of a second. I am sensitive to this now because I have been concentrating on feeling the difference between the Targa and the Cayman. I thought that I would appreciate the earlier on set of torque with the 911 vs the Cayman and I do. I love the power onset without having to ring out the revs. I would not enjoy a GT3 as much as the Targa.
SOUND:
The 981 Cayman has one of the best sounds of any Porsche. I was preparing myself to experience a much less pleasurable sound. I have been pleasantly surprised at the sound that the Targa makes! It is remarkably close to the 981 Cayman.

View attachment 962 View attachment 961 View attachment 960
Tom, great precise review and beautiful car.
Another picture. Took this 2 days ago at the

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Y

Yes,
Canon quit making slrs
I don't know much about photography but this sounds like when the 911 went from the air-cooled to the water-cooled engine! :eek: It was the equivalent to the coming of the anti-Christ LOL! At the time it might have looked like the real thing, but it certainly wasn’t the real thing, or so the thinking went.

My comparaison is lame but the point is that the camera technology must be improving dramatically like everything else. For now, the change will upset the purists but your NIKOND850 will become a "Classic" one day! That said, professionnal photographers are still using SLRs right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know much about photography but this sounds like when the 911 went from the air-cooled to the water-cooled engine! :eek: It was the equivalent to the coming of the anti-Christ LOL! At the time it might have looked like the real thing, but it certainly wasn’t the real thing, or so the thinking went.

My comparaison is lame but the point is that the camera technology must be improving dramatically like everything else. For now, the change will upset the purists but your NIKOND850 will become a "Classic" one day! That said, professional photographers are still using SLRs right?

You know...you are probably correct. I am a grumpy old photographer that does not see the reason to change. A live view is better than an electronic view!

Yes, the pros still use SLR's but it is the lack of R&D that worries me.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
You know...you are probably correct. I am a grumpy old photographer that does not see the reason to change. A live view is better than an electronic view!

Yes, the pros still use SLR's but it is the lack of R&D that worries me.
Forget the cars and the cameras, WE are becoming "Classics"! :p

61 - 77 of 77 Posts