Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone it's been a while but i've been lurking! @CarreraChick don't let the others turn your Base into another $20k in options - that configurator is dangerous and can drive you mad! Haha! @CH61 @KM992 @BobbyG @yrralis1 @LessKrazy1 and others....good news, there 'may' be an allocation very soon in my future! April build, June delivery. I'll know in a few days. As you know I'm into my 15th month of waiting! Here's my dilemma. My original choice was a Carrera S but there may be allocation for a 'T' (no S anytime soon). After looking at the T it may in fact be a better fit for me anyway as it offers an MT (a must for me) and has all the nice performance goodies standard plus less weight! Only reason I didn't consider the Base is lack of MT. Love a driver's car but also like a few creature comforts, sorry @yrralis1 the sliding glass sunroof (must have imo) and rear seat may be sacrilegious in this car but I doubt i'd be tracking it. Don't really care about Bose and my 1st colour choice is still there GT Silver. I can live with a little less HP, still amazing performance and smaller brakes for my use. I'm thinking had this model been out 15 months ago my deposit may have gone towards this one anyway and i can save a few $$. Option B? Wait for the new 992.2 S but not sure i'm loving the spy photos to be honest. Cat meow whisker front grill??? Here's the tentative build...Give me your thoughts.

· Registered
Still waiting….
121 Posts
Congrats! The T sounds like a perfect fit and your build looks fantastic.

I‘m with you regarding the spy photos of the next refresh. It may look different in person, but I don’t care for that revised front end. I’m also not thrilled with the rumours around the revised gauge cluster so I don’t see any upside in waiting. You’ve already waited long enough. 😀

A couple comments on your build

-My personal experience with lane keep assist is not good. I’ve had it in a number of other brands and also in a Macan and haven’t liked any of them. The novelty wears off within 10 minutes of use and it never gets activated again. At best the systems make you look like a drunk driver bouncing between the road lines. At worst you drift halfway into the next lane before it tries to correct your course. If you find it useful then, by all means, leave it in. Otherwise save yourself the money and the future headaches of maintaining another electronic system.

- I have to ask about the rear seat. If you plan on having people back there then it’s definitely a must have. Otherwise stay true to the car and leave it out. I‘m sure you won‘t notice any weight savings but there’s a cool factor of not having rear seats in a T.

- I love that you put some colour on the gauges. The price is a total rip off but I think it makes a big difference when your‘re in the driver’s seat.

- I have no personal experience but I’ve read nothing good about the dash cam prep. I can’t find the thread at the moment, but there was a rennlist discussion and the consensus seemed to be that you were better off going aftermarket.

BTW. Great colour choice. Not as good as Gentian but a close second 😜

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Good day everyone it's been a while but i've been lurking! @CarreraChick don't let the others turn your Base into another $20k in options - that configurator is dangerous and can drive you mad! Haha! @CH61 @KM992 @BobbyG @yrralis1 @LessKrazy1 and others....good news, there 'may' be an allocation very soon in my future! April build, June delivery. I'll know in a few days. As you know I'm into my 15th month of waiting! Here's my dilemma. My original choice was a Carrera S but there may be allocation for a 'T' (no S anytime soon). After looking at the T it may in fact be a better fit for me anyway as it offers an MT (a must for me) and has all the nice performance goodies standard plus less weight! Only reason I didn't consider the Base is lack of MT. Love a driver's car but also like a few creature comforts, sorry @yrralis1 the sliding glass sunroof (must have imo) and rear seat may be sacrilegious in this car but I doubt i'd be tracking it. Don't really care about Bose and my 1st colour choice is still there GT Silver. I can live with a little less HP, still amazing performance and smaller brakes for my use. I'm thinking had this model been out 15 months ago my deposit may have gone towards this one anyway and i can save a few $$. Option B? Wait for the new 992.2 S but not sure i'm loving the spy photos to be honest. Cat meow whisker front grill??? Here's the tentative build...Give me your thoughts.

Happy New Year @Als992 and what great news you have! To "T" or not to T would be a difficult question for me. But not for you since you're the perfect candidate for a more performance focused 911! And that's what the T is. Everything you need, including the must have MT and nothing extra. Your build looks great even if it's not Gentian Blue! LOL! :p I'm sure Larry and others will chime in and share more expert advice on performance issues but I think you should go for it! June delivery, PERFECT (you don't want to take delivery in November in Canada)! :)

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Congrats! The T sounds like a perfect fit and your build looks fantastic.

I‘m with you regarding the spy photos of the next refresh. It may look different in person, but I don’t care for that revised front end. I’m also not thrilled with the rumours around the revised gauge cluster so I don’t see any upside in waiting. You’ve already waited long enough. 😀

A couple comments on your build

-My personal experience with lane keep assist is not good. I’ve had it in a number of other brands and also in a Macan and haven’t liked any of them. The novelty wears off within 10 minutes of use and it never gets activated again. At best the systems make you look like a drunk driver bouncing between the road lines. At worst you drift halfway into the next lane before it tries to correct your course. If you find it useful then, by all means, leave it in. Otherwise save yourself the money and the future headaches of maintaining another electronic system.

- I have to ask about the rear seat. If you plan on having people back there then it’s definitely a must have. Otherwise stay true to the car and leave it out. I‘m sure you won‘t notice any weight savings but there’s a cool factor of not having rear seats in a T.

- I love that you put some colour on the gauges. The price is a total rip off but I think it makes a big difference when your‘re in the driver’s seat.

- I have no personal experience but I’ve read nothing good about the dash cam prep. I can’t find the thread at the moment, but there was a rennlist discussion and the consensus seemed to be that you were better off going aftermarket.

BTW. Great colour choice. Not as good as Gentian but a close second 😜
Thank you! I'm sure once the 992.2 comes out it will look amazing as well but it's an uncertainty and there may be some unknown positive tweaks as well. It will only be a minor variation anyway so that's not a big issue.

Regarding the LKA yeah i know what you mean. I also have it in my current car and really don't use it much either but figure in case in the future i may want it it's there and maybe for resale if i upgrade to that GT3 in a couple of years! Haha.

Don't worry, i have the no-cost rear seat add-on in there. I think that's a no-brainer unless your a hardcore track warrior of which i am not. Just like to have fun on the twisty's when in the mood.

Yeah I'm with you on the coloured gauges and if you noticed I also optioned the seat belts in Guards Red. It's typical Porsche over-priced option stuff but it's one of those things that adds some character and you can't really do yourself, so they have you euchred. In my S configuration i was thinking about the Bordeaux red seats so i figure this is the alternative in the T to add a splash.

Thanks about the dash cam prep. Just assumed to add it as it was a cheap option in case i wanted to use it later so will have to do more research.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy New Year @Als992 and what great news you have! To "T" or not to T would be a difficult question for me. But not for you since you're the perfect candidate for a more performance focused 911! And that's what the T is. Everything you need, including the must have MT and nothing extra. Your build looks great even if it's not Gentian Blue! LOL! :p I'm sure Larry and others will chime in and share more expert advice on performance issues but I think you should go for it! June delivery, PERFECT (you don't want to take delivery in November in Canada)! :)
And a happy New Year to you too @CH61 ! Even though it is "performance oriented" i think i can add enough creature comforts to get about 90% of the S's luxury including a rear seat! I also really like the T's exclusive Titanium grey Carrera S wheels as i think they look great in that tint.

Regarding Gentian i had a feeling you'd say that! I took a hard look at that colour too as it is gorgeous but think if i am able to order I'd stick to the legendary GT Silver as i'm really not a "blue guy". Chalk is a candidate as well but i'm not super comfortable with $3700 just for a colour change? Don't forget we also have that wonderful luxury tax on that amount too!

As far as a June delivery, the only thing better in Canada would be May!

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Interesting article. Bottom line: « Get It While You Can« !

On another note since you’re from Ontario I think, have you read the post of another fellow Canadian being forced to add 37K of options by Pfaff dealership?! I couldn’t believe it when I read it. One member who just happens to be an attorney found this practice almost « criminal »!

Hope you won’t be taken hostage by your dealer.

· Registered
1,275 Posts

On another note since you’re from Ontario I think, have you read the post of another fellow Canadian being forced to add 37K of options by Pfaff dealership?! I couldn’t believe it when I read it. One member who just happens to be an attorney found this practice almost « criminal »!

Hello everyone.I put a downpayment mid-Nov for a 911T allocation. To my shocking surprise, less than 2 months later, I was told today that I have received an allocation. But I need to meet the minimum 37K option price on the car (rolling my eyes)….

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Whatttt?!!! Ummm, i don't think so. Stay tuned!

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,315 Posts

Well you do know that I feel that a sunroof and ventilated seat motors in a "lightweight car" is like an endurance athlete who smokes . I feel you have been given the slot but the Carrera S really is the right car over the T if you wanted those options and a manual . My reply answers the question to the thread title . I would either make compromises or pass but I would not Frankenstein the T . Those cars posted in the review all has steel roof , The yellow one had carbon fiber . They all had sport tex seats . I wish you well with it because its what you want but Im am not head over heels for it . Thats an honest opinion before you spend one cent .

· Registered
1,897 Posts

ALS, that’s a tough one. You built the T nicely and if you recall I am also a HUGE fan of the Manual but also love a convertible so I didn’t have a choice, had to be an S for me. Either way you will be happy IMO…

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Whatttt?!!! Ummm, i don't think so. Stay tuned!
Very curious especially if you're with Pfaff. @Ario dropped the "bomb" on post # 10 on this thread but you probably found it already

· Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like the T checks most of your boxes and is available sooner rather than later=win, win! So far as sunroof, rear seats I'd say go for it! The nominal weight ”penalty” will 99.9999% guaranteed never be noticed on your trip to the Dr., grocery store or country ride. I would further suggest it wouldn't be noticed if you track the car unless you are capable of driving skills 9+/10. My base pdk cab has more than enough get up and go to get me well over the limit on any road in America in single digit seconds. For my use, more power/less weight is totally unnecessary. YMMV

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well you do know that I feel that a sunroof and ventilated seat motors in a "lightweight car" is like an endurance athlete who smokes . I feel you have been given the slot but the Carrera S really is the right car over the T if you wanted those options and a manual . My reply answers the question to the thread title . I would either make compromises or pass but I would not Frankenstein the T . Those cars posted in the review all has steel roof , The yellow one had carbon fiber . They all had sport tex seats . I wish you well with it because its what you want but Im am not head over heels for it . Thats an honest opinion before you spend one cent .
Thanks for your brutally honest response @yrralis1 , i truly do appreciate it. Btw, did you know that Guy Lafleur the Hall of Famer Montreal Canadien was a chain smoker? @CH61 would know that. LMAO! Ok, in all seriousness you have a very valid point. However on the flip side if i got an S I'd almost try to turn it into a T (mini GT3) with all the performance goodies (weight reduction aside). Yes i can skip the roof but i'd bet at least 50% of the guys would want a glass roof as @BTD says it would be hardly noticable 99% of the time on a leisurely drive. I equate it to going to the beer store to pick up a case of beer. Is my drive home that much less rewarding cause there's a case in the frunk? Again, i 100% understand what you're saying and can appreciate that but for most of my use I'm thinking it may be a good fit as i doubt i'd be tracking it. I would say my taste is somewhere between the T and S. Regarding the ventilated seats, that was a fringe option for me anyway and may delete. What kind of extra weight would you think that would bring? Speaking of, how many more pounds would the glass roof bring? Guessing maybe 100lbs? That would bring it up to Base PDK weight territory.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ALS, that’s a tough one. You built the T nicely and if you recall I am also a HUGE fan of the Manual but also love a convertible so I didn’t have a choice, had to be an S for me. Either way you will be happy IMO…
Thanks and yes i do recall that. I already have my Z4M convertible tucked in the corner of my garage if i need that fix. I just need to get the blessing of the Pontiff.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like the T checks most of your boxes and is available sooner rather than later=win, win! So far as sunroof, rear seats I'd say go for it! The nominal weight ”penalty” will 99.9999% guaranteed never be noticed on your trip to the Dr., grocery store or country ride. I would further suggest it wouldn't be noticed if you track the car unless you are capable of driving skills 9+/10. My base pdk cab has more than enough get up and go to get me well over the limit on any road in America in single digit seconds. For my use, more power/less weight is totally unnecessary. YMMV
Thanks for your take @BTD . I pretty much agree with you. I look at the T as a performance oriented Base car with a manual which is what i want. It's only 100lbs weight savings over the base basically because of the manual. Yes, i have been doing my homework and most reviewers say that the Base car is the best base 911 ever and most won't need much more. Glad you enjoy yours.

· Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks for your take @BTD . I pretty much agree with you. I look at the T as a performance oriented Base car with a manual which is what i want. It's only 100lbs weight savings over the base basically because of the manual. Yes, i have been doing my homework and most reviewers say that the Base car is the best base 911 ever and most won't need much more. Glad you enjoy yours.
The T will be a great car option. Even though I have the S I sometimes feel it’s too much for me at times like I will get myself in trouble!

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very curious especially if you're with Pfaff. @Ario dropped the "bomb" on post # 10 on this thread but you probably found it already

Thankfully (I suppose) I'm not dealing with Pfaff. That must be the CDN equivalent of charging over MSRP in the US.

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,315 Posts
Thanks for your brutally honest response @yrralis1 , i truly do appreciate it. Btw, did you know that Guy Lafleur the Hall of Famer Montreal Canadien was a chain smoker? @CH61 would know that. LMAO! Ok, in all seriousness you have a very valid point. However on the flip side if i got an S I'd almost try to turn it into a T (mini GT3) with all the performance goodies (weight reduction aside). Yes i can skip the roof but i'd bet at least 50% of the guys would want a glass roof as @BTD says it would be hardly noticable 99% of the time on a leisurely drive. I equate it to going to the beer store to pick up a case of beer. Is my drive home that much less rewarding cause there's a case in the frunk? Again, i 100% understand what you're saying and can appreciate that but for most of my use I'm thinking it may be a good fit as i doubt i'd be tracking it. I would say my taste is somewhere between the T and S. Regarding the ventilated seats, that was a fringe option for me anyway and may delete.
The Carrera T is a car that goes to great lengths to reduce weight. They even put lightweight glass. The last gen (991)even revived door handles .Why not make the T a T ? It even costs less than what you are doing . You pay extra (nearly an S ) over a base car to have this along with the choice of manual . Put a sunroof in a Macan . The car itself is a huge practical sacrifice over a sedan or SUV . The seats don't weight much but the roof is not only a weight nightmare , it is positioned right in the center of mass of the car . It ruins the weight distribution. It ruins the torsional rigidity . For what a little sunlight ? You are spending nearly 150K . I am surprised Porsche even offers it . I can understand if you found one on a. lot but you are going to go through the painstaking process of ordering , waiting , wondering , and ultimately spending . Look .. its your money and YOUR car but it makes no sense to me and I told you exactly why. I will, still wish you the best in advance but I can't say its a great move.

As for making the S a Gt3 . It can NEVER happen . I have seen guys try , spend as much as a Gt3 . The only way to own a Gt3 is to buy one . Besides Gt3 does not offer a sunroof .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts