Porsche 992 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Carrera T is a car that goes to great lengths to reduce weight. They even put lightweight glass. The last gen (991)even revived door handles .Why not make the T a T ? It even costs less than what you are doing . You pay extra (nearly an S ) over a base car to have this along with the choice of manual . Put a sunroof in a Macan . The car itself is a huge practical sacrifice over a sedan or SUV . The seats don't weight much but the roof is not only a weight nightmare , it is positioned right in the center of mass of the car . It ruins the weight distribution. It ruins the torsional rigidity . For what a little sunlight ? You are spending nearly 150K . I am surprised Porsche even offers it . I can understand if you found one on a. lot but you are going to go through the painstaking process of ordering , waiting , wondering , and ultimately spending . Look .. its your money and YOUR car but it makes no sense to me and I told you exactly why. I will, still wish you the best in advance but I can't say its a great move.

As for making the S a Gt3 . It can NEVER happen . I have seen guys try , spend as much as a Gt3 . The only way to own a Gt3 is to buy one . Besides Gt3 does not offer a sunroof .
Again i thank you for your honest opinion and i do agree with you on most of your technical points but i think there are compromises. With your logic then why get sport exhaust or PASM on an S because it's more of a touring "luxury" Carrera. I agree 100% that the dynamics will most likely change slightly with the addition of a glass roof but not enough for me to not want it deleted and i much prefer the lighter (no pun intended) "airy" cabin. All about what your priorities are imo.

Btw, never meant to imply you can make an S a GT3. Simply meant making it a sportier S with performance goodies. Thanks for your insight.

· Registered
1,897 Posts
Again i thank you for your honest opinion and i do agree with you on most of your technical points but i think there are compromises. With your logic then why get sport exhaust or PASM on an S because it's more of a touring "luxury" Carrera. I agree 100% that the dynamics will most likely change slightly with the addition of a glass roof but not enough for me to not want it deleted and i much prefer the lighter (no pun intended) "airy" cabin. All about what your priorities are imo.

Btw, never meant to imply you can make an S a GT3. Simply meant making it a sportier S with performance goodies. Thanks for your insight.
You will always get the “skinny” from Larry…he knows his stuff and has boat loads of knowledge.

· Registered
47 Posts

I think your perspective is right on-priority on what you want and how you intend to use it. Striking a balance between comfort, utility and performance is different for every owner. They all go fast and handle well and as Larry aptly points out they can be configured to optimize those attributes-but at the expense of other features which may be more important to some people. There is no wrong answer-you will love whatever you choose.

· Registered
1,897 Posts
I think your perspective is right on-priority on what you want and how you intend to use it. Striking a balance between comfort, utility and performance is different for every owner. They all go fast and handle well and as Larry aptly points out they can be configured to optimize those attributes-but at the expense of other features which may be more important to some people. There is no wrong answer-you will love whatever you choose.
Exactly! Thats why the S was my choice, ragtop, manual transmission, and additional comforts like heated/cooling seats. Go with your gut!

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,314 Posts

Many of the people bought the S because it was available before the GTS. Those are the people who put all of those performance parts on the S deleted the sunroof and still ended up with a great car. They are not the majority as the rest simply wanted more comfort 911.

What’s different about the S from the T is that the former is more of an all around 911. The latter has a purpose intended by the manufacturer. There is no intention with the S.

Notice that the T does not offer a cab. It does not offer a targa . It does not even offer all wheel drive as a variant. It’s a specific car.

A few years ago, Porsche actually classified some of the cars. They classified the Carrera T in the same category as the GT touring in terms of it being a “purist“ variant. No other variant including the GTS was given that same defined character.

· Registered
151 Posts
Here's my dilemma. My original choice was a Carrera S but there may be allocation for a 'T' (no S anytime soon). After looking at the T it may in fact be a better fit for me anyway as it offers an MT (a must for me) and has all the nice performance goodies standard plus less weight! Only reason I didn't consider the Base is lack of MT. Love a driver's car but also like a few creature comforts, sorry @yrralis1 the sliding glass sunroof (must have imo) and rear seat may be sacrilegious in this car but I doubt i'd be tracking it. Don't really care about Bose and my 1st colour choice is still there GT Silver. I can live with a little less HP, still amazing performance and smaller brakes for my use.

This was how I ended up with a T allocation after waiting 15 months for an S allocation and hearing nothing. I just wanted a manual, the fact the T comes with some go-fast goodies is a plus for sure. Here's my build, very similar to yours without the Comfort and Convenience baubles I deem unnecessary. 911 Carrera T | Porsche Car Configurator

· Registered
Still waiting….
121 Posts
This was how I ended up with a T allocation after waiting 15 months for an S allocation and hearing nothing. I just wanted a manual, the fact the T comes with some go-fast goodies is a plus for sure. Here's my build, very similar to yours without the Comfort and Convenience baubles I deem unnecessary. 911 Carrera T | Porsche Car Configurator
Very nice. When does it arrive?

Your 15 month wait tells the story. Us non 992 owners either have to do without or make some concessions to get the ”close enough” car. They’re all beautiful and will bring many smiles which is the whole point.

@Als992 Build it to suit your tastes and enjoy the summer driving with that sunroof open! 😀

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Your story is identical to mine. I only want manual. I also have waited 15 months to date. If offered the T, which i am hoping in the next few days, will most likely jump on it. Your build is stunning, very close to mine and that gorgeous glass roof! Haha. Just wondering what your 2nd and 3rd colour choices were. I'm seriously considering Chalk and maybe even Python green. And as @KM992 asked, when is your build and estimated arrival date?

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Very nice. When does it arrive?

Your 15 month wait tells the story. Us non 992 owners either have to do without or make some concessions to get the ”close enough” car. They’re all beautiful and will bring many smiles which is the whole point.

@Als992 Build it to suit your tastes and enjoy the summer driving with that sunroof open! 😀
As it ends up my "close enough" car may end up being the one i may have chosen in the first place! Be patient, it will pay off. Thanks and will do!

· Registered
151 Posts
Mine arrives 4/7/23 in Buffalo, NY. I was going to go for a non-sunroof equipped car thinking about tracking it then I thought who am I kidding? Like a glass roof is going to put me in a different league bc it's not as structurally stiff as a metal roof. That's when I removed RAS from my build and added the glass roof. I don't care if it opens or not, I just want the ability to open the liner to let more light in the cabin. I've got a BMW 650 Gran Coupe with a roof that only tilts open which is perfectly fine with me.
Color choices: originally had Dolomite Silver on my S build but that became unavailable last Summer so I switched to GT. The only other color I would seriously consider would be Python Green.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mine arrives 4/7/23 in Buffalo, NY. I was going to go for a non-sunroof equipped car thinking about tracking it then I thought who am I kidding? Like a glass roof is going to put me in a different league bc it's not as structurally stiff as a metal roof. That's when I removed RAS from my build and added the glass roof. I don't care if it opens or not, I just want the ability to open the liner to let more light in the cabin. I've got a BMW 650 Gran Coupe with a roof that only tilts open which is perfectly fine with me.
Color choices: originally had Dolomite Silver on my S build but that became unavailable last Summer so I switched to GT. The only other color I would seriously consider would be Python Green.
Early April should be about perfect! Can't wait to see pics when you get her. Please post. Again, my reasoning is very similar to yours. Looks just about perfect to me. Enjoy!

· Registered
2022 992 GTS
1,314 Posts
I notice you also took off sport design . I actually like without . My last GTS had the glass roof because it was the first car in Miami and the dealership was unaware that it was even ordered . It was immediately available and I took it. I have always hated sunroofs and the 911 was the first that I actually opened the shade once or twice in 5 years . I can't stand the Macan sunroof but wife loves it . The 911 is actually a better sunroof . It just placed in the worst car to have it. I am clearly outnumbered in thought on this forum (50/50 on RL ) and these are your cars . If you are at peace with it then I am at peace with it being on your car .

I don't know if I will track my GTS but I wanted to unleash its full potential at my fingertips . I went even more overboard when younger with my 997 Turbo which I still have but has been out of commission in the shop. I modified that car spending double what the car cost hoping to do the Texas Mile until I saw a few wipe outs . It would have done well in 2008 and even by modern day standards is a fast car . It not nearly as nimble or fun to drive as my GTS though . On the GTS I took the direction of carbon fiber roof , PCCB , and lightweight package . I would have gotten buckets if I were 20 years younger and did consider them even at my age . I figured 5 years from now I would be near 70 and buckets in a daily driver might be tough .
It was the only compromise I made .

I also considered dolomite but GT is the way to go . Dolomite looks great with a. silver wheel like an unpainted Gt3 but with a dark wheel the metallic flake in Gt sets the into a new league . When you own it you will start noticing its beauty even more . In case you want to peek . This was my spec

PNHTE7N1
The Porsche Code

21 - 39 of 39 Posts