Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, for most of us the 992 is not/will not be our daily driver. I am curious to know.
1. What else do you own/drive?
2. What made you choose the 992?
3. If you were already not a Porsche owner what made you become one?

I will start:
  • 2021 Tesla model Y white (wife’s car)
  • 2021 Range Rover Sport HST santorini black (daily driver)
-202X 911 4GTS shark blue (waiting for allocation) (weekend toy)

I have owned everything from Lexus’ to MBs - unfortunately nothing sporty since I got married and had kids quickly when I got out of school and into the workforce. I like the Tesla, great because I don’t have to deal with my wife asking me to fill the tank or what is this light that came on? Love my RR sport, amazing luxurious truck - feels like a tank but very quick. Now I am excited that I have gotten to a point in my life to finally get a sportier car. I looked at everything from Aston to maclaren, but always kept coming back to Porsche for its look, heritage, reliability and value. Who knows I might end up becoming a Porsche head and make every car we have a Porsche, let’s see what the future brings. I am excited and can’t wait to even get my allocation.

love to hear everyone else’s stories.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Good morning, for most of us the 992 is not/will not be our daily driver. I am curious to know.

I will start:

I have owned everything from Lexus’ to MBs - unfortunately nothing sporty since I got married and had kids quickly when I got out of school and into the workforce. I like the Tesla, great because I don’t have to deal with my wife asking me to fill the tank or what is this light that came on? Love my RR sport, amazing luxurious truck - feels like a tank but very quick. Now I am excited that I have gotten to a point in my life to finally get a sportier car. I looked at everything from Aston to maclaren, but always kept coming back to Porsche for its look, heritage, reliability and value. Who knows I might end up becoming a Porsche head and make every car we have a Porsche, let’s see what the future brings. I am excited and can’t wait to even get my allocation.

Let’s talk « sporty » because like you, I’ve owned lots of cars over the years that were practical with young kids (hockey bags, pack sacks, skis, snowshoes, etc.) but kinda “boring” (MB, X3 (2 of them), Q5).

I bought my first roadster at the age of 49, call it my mid-life crisis. It had to be a convertible with a manual transmission. The BMW Z4 (not the Z4M like @Als992 got) was just perfect. I replaced it with a first Boxster 987 and later a 981. That’s when I got hooked-on Porsche even if my childhood dream was to get a 911 (one day)! After all, you don’t spend your youth dreaming about someday owning a Nissan or a Mitsubishi! :p

I replaced the Q5 with a Porsche Macan S that I still have and love. Not a sports car by any means but a SUV (some like to call it a crossover) with the Porsche spirit, how it makes the driver feel behind the wheel: low set driving position, precise handling with power and torque and unrivaled drive comfort. For me it’s a benchmark among key rivals, with less “bling”! Oh, and I loved ALL those Porsche buttons (unfortunately gone with the newer models)! With a perfectly integrated infotainment screen into the dash (I can’t stand the protruding "iPads" on just about every other model).

When the time came to replace the 981, I was almost 60 and ready for my 911. The 718 GTS 4.0 would’ve been my second choice but I needed a change from the Boxsters and the 718 is for younger folks (here I am talking about age again). After getting full spousal, guilt free approval (quoting @KM992), I got in line…and waited…and waited for 1 ½ year! Despite the less than exhilarating buying experience, it was well worth it! You will have to be patient but I can guarantee that you will just love yours. And in Shark Blue with black package, it will be stunning!(y)

I never thought that I would one day say this but the next family SUV will probably be electric! And the upcoming Macan EV (2024?) might be the one. Got to move with the times…

Got to go see the Mrs. This Forum can be distracting! Thanks for starting this post. Hope others jump in, if they can stop staring at their shiny newly ceramic coated 992! (Hello @BobbyG ;))

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing! Love to hear more peoples stories. Life a journey.
I can’t wait to get the car, have no idea how I am going to wait another 1-2 years for it. It’s also even more difficult because many others around me have 911 already all of them are 991 models except for one friend that has a 992 python green gt3

·
Registered
37 Posts

I will start:

I have a new 992 911 Turbo S on its way to Emden. Ready to be shipped over here.

I have:
2021 Mercedes AMG GLE 53 Coupe as my daily.
2021 C8 Corvette
2013 911 Cab Turbo S, that I'll be letting go when the new one comes in.

I also have a 2023 Cayenne Turbo GT on order. Projected build is 12/2022. Then I let the Mercedes go. That's my story. I'm single, so they are mine. Ha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I have had a GLE in the past as well. I see you are making the move to Porsche, what is making you move towards it? Experience with your 2013 911? Or build quality compared to MB? That’s why I made the move to RR build quality and to me MB as a brand has cheapened themselves they are turning themselves into Toyota.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have a new 992 911 Turbo S on its way to Emden. Ready to be shipped over here.

I have:
2021 Mercedes AMG GLE 53 Coupe as my daily.
2021 C8 Corvette
2013 911 Cab Turbo S, that I'll be letting go when the new one comes in.

I also have a 2023 Cayenne Turbo GT on order. Projected build is 12/2022. Then I let the Mercedes go. That's my story. I'm single, so they are mine. Ha
Now, that’s a pretty impressive stable you have. I should’ve stayed single! LOL! 😜

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice! I have had a GLE in the past as well. I see you are making the move to Porsche, what is making you move towards it? Experience with your 2013 911? Or build quality compared to MB? That’s why I made the move to RR build quality and to me MB as a brand has cheapened themselves they are turning themselves into Toyota.
It's time switch around a bit. I had a 2012 Cayenne Turbo. it was a great car. I've seen some YouTube videos on the Cayenne Turbo GT. That's one bad ass car. My MB has 439 HP, the new Cayenne will be 631 HP.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My 911 is my daily driver. In fact I take turns between my two 911s . With one in the shop my GTS is my daily and in extreme situations I will use my wife’s car which is a 2020 Macan turbo. It is rare that I drive that car. I love the car just grab the 911 key every time .

The only time I will take the Macan is an extreme rain, after a hurricane and there’s debris, if taking one of my animals to the veterinarian. It’s not that the 911 can’t do these things. I just feel the Macan is better suited to do them and since I have that second vehicle it comes in handy.

There were many years in my life where I was single and a 911 was my only car. I never felt impaired by it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Let’s talk « sporty » because like you, I’ve owned lots of cars over the years that were practical with young kids (hockey bags, pack sacks, skis, snowshoes, etc.) but kinda “boring” (MB, X3 (2 of them), Q5).

I bought my first roadster at the age of 49, call it my mid-life crisis. It had to be a convertible with a manual transmission. The BMW Z4 (not the Z4M like @Als992 got) was just perfect. I replaced it with a first Boxster 987 and later a 981. That’s when I got hooked-on Porsche even if my childhood dream was to get a 911 (one day)! After all, you don’t spend your youth dreaming about someday owning a Nissan or a Mitsubishi! :p
We had opposite paths. I bought my first SUV at 50 (for wife) . Even she was driving an M3 manual before it .

I always liked "go fast" . As a child my father loved luxury . His dream car was a Rolls and mine was a 911 from the first time I rode in one (at age 14) . We had many family debates of luxury Vs sports cars and in the end came a greater appreciation for both . Even though I would never buy a luxury car I understood why he wanted it . When he finally got to a point where he was ready to buy one at age 74 my mother said to him " you are not buying a Rolls Royce. An old man like you swill get robbed. " He only lived one more year and never fulfilled that dream .
I was determined to do it differently.

I wanted to be a pro driver as a child but my parents both felt it was too unsafe . So the route of Go Karts were out fir me and thats the starting point for most. At 19 I did convince my dad to buy an Alfa Romeo Spyder and I drove it . I loved it because not only was I a kid with a cool car but because friends didn't ask me for lifts (which they did when I had a larger car) . From there it was sports cars all the way .. Mazda RX7 , Nissan 300Zxtt and with that came modding them .

My love of "go fast" wasn't just cars . I competed in swimming and then began triathlon training . I did several events but the runners always killed me and in swimming the same guys who beat me as a kid can beat me now as an adult . Each sport I chose was about going fast . Something like golf is totally off the table . They even whisper in tournaments because I think everyone is sleeping .

So here I am now ..... OLD . Still want "go fast" and as time elapsed the desire for precision grew . So its not just about going fast . Its about being able to do it gracefully and efficiently . The Porsche 911 keeps feeding me that .

Every day is an opportunity to have it . Time its always limited so why not drive it even day !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had opposite paths. I bought my first SUV at 50 (for wife) . Even she was driving an M3 manual before it .

I always liked "go fast" . As a child my father loved luxury . His dream car was a Rolls and mine was a 911 from the first time I rode in one (at age 14) . We had many family debates of luxury Vs sports cars and in the end came a greater appreciation for both . Even though I would never buy a luxury car I understood why he wanted it . When he finally got to a point where he was ready to buy one at age 74 my mother said to him " you are not buying a Rolls Royce. An old man like you swill get robbed. " He only lived one more year and never fulfilled that dream .
I was determined to do it differently.

I wanted to be a pro driver as a child but my parents both felt it was too unsafe . So the route of Go Karts were out fir me and thats the starting point for most. At 19 I did convince my dad to buy an Alfa Romeo Spyder and I drove it . I loved it because not only was I a kid with a cool car but because friends didn't ask me for lifts (which they did when I had a larger car) . From there it was sports cars all the way .. Mazda RX7 , Nissan 300Zxtt and with that came modding them .

My love of "go fast" wasn't just cars . I competed in swimming and then began triathlon training . I did several events but the runners always killed me and in swimming the same guys who beat me as a kid can beat me now as an adult . Each sport I chose was about going fast . Something like golf is totally off the table . They even whisper in tournaments because I think everyone is sleeping .

So here I am now ..... OLD . Still want "go fast" and as time elapsed the desire for precision grew . So its not just about going fast . Its about being able to do it gracefully and efficiently . The Porsche 911 keeps feeding me that .

Every day is an opportunity to have it . Time its always limited so why not drive it even day !!
Love this! Amazing story! This is what I was hoping for when I asked this question. Amazing story and journey. Enjoy you many 911s in good health and hopefully many more

·
Registered
799 Posts
Love this! Amazing story! This is what I was hoping for when I asked this question. Amazing story and journey. Enjoy you many 911s in good health and hopefully many more
@yrralis1 is a real car encyclopedia and a true Porsche enthusiast. He will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that his 992 GTS is his 19th Porsche! 😅 And he’s NOT old since he’s only 3 years older than me. LOL!

·
Registered
744 Posts
@yrralis1 is a real car encyclopedia and a true Porsche enthusiast. He will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that his 992 GTS is his 19th Porsche! 😅 And he’s NOT old since he’s only 3 years older than me. LOL!
You are correct and my upcoming Macan CTS will be my 20th. My first 911 was when I was 35. it was a real struggle and I nearly empty my bank account completely to buy it. In fact I emptied one account and didn’t have enough money to pay on the day that I bought the car. We were $1500 away from the deal. I turned to the Salesman and said I’m really sorry but I really don’t have any more money. I told him I’m going to have to leave because I really don’t. I stood up and he told me sit down. He sold me the car. All these years later I still remember driving it home. It had zero options. Little wheels, manual seats, leatherette,interior, and color with flat white. I love that car!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

I replaced the Q5 with a Porsche Macan S that I still have and love. Not a sports car by any means but a SUV (some like to call it a crossover) with the Porsche spirit, how it makes the driver feel behind the wheel: low set driving position, precise handling with power and torque and unrivaled drive comfort. For me it’s a benchmark among key rivals, with less “bling”! Oh, and I loved ALL those Porsche buttons (unfortunately gone with the newer models)! With a perfectly integrated infotainment screen into the dash (I can’t stand the protruding "iPads" on just about every other model).

When the time came to replace the 981, I was almost 60 and ready for my 911. The 718 GTS 4.0 would’ve been my second choice but I needed a change from the Boxsters and the 718 is for younger folks (here I am talking about age again). After getting full spousal, guilt free approval (quoting @KM992), I got in line…and waited…and waited for 1 ½ year! Despite the less than exhilarating buying experience, it was well worth it! You will have to be patient but I can guarantee that you will just love yours. And in Shark Blue with black package, it will be stunning!(y)

I never thought that I would one day say this but the next family SUV will probably be electric! And the upcoming Macan EV (2024?) might be the one. Got to move with the times…

Got to go see the Mrs. This Forum can be distracting! Thanks for starting this post. Hope others jump in, if they can stop staring at their shiny newly ceramic coated 992! (Hello @BobbyG ;))

View attachment 1033
Mr. Charles, good one again! My backup ride is the wife’s GLK, its a workhorse. I’m happy to say my 992 IS my daily driver unless its nice and I’m on my Harley Softail Slim until winter. I also borrow my Moms 3 series BMW if needed.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mr. Charles, good one again! My backup ride is the wife’s GLK, its a workhorse. I’m happy to say my 992 IS my daily driver unless its nice and I’m on my Harley Softail Slim until winter. I also borrow my Moms 3 series BMW if needed. View attachment 1037
View attachment 1036
Bobby, you sing and play guitar, drive a Harley and a 992! You’re such a cool dude!

·
Registered
1 Posts
the last one is my 9th. Porsche, an 992 GTS. I love driving fast. I traded in a Macan S.
My wife still drives a Cayenne Turbo. On top of that we go electric with an Taycan Cross Tourisme.
and we have the other summer cars: Beetle convertible, and just for another kind of fun a
Morgan Roadster. the last one is my preferable car (as long as it is not raining).

·
Registered
799 Posts
the last one is my 9th. Porsche, an 992 GTS. I love driving fast. I traded in a Macan S.
My wife still drives a Cayenne Turbo. On top of that we go electric with an Taycan Cross Tourisme.
and we have the other summer cars: Beetle convertible, and just for another kind of fun a
Morgan Roadster. the last one is my preferable car (as long as it is not raining).
Very nice @NOS and you can actually drive as fast as you want on the Autobahn! Lucky you! Share your build and pics of the 992 GTS....and maybe a few pics of that special Morgan Roadster (I had to google it).

Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts