Porsche 992 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being a traditional car guy that has always stayed away from these new "innovations" found yet another reason to avoid the upcoming 911 hybrid like the plague, that reason is its battery, yeah... a vital component...

Porsche is still undecided on how exactly the battery will be used, creating a massive barrier to any potential buyers, without this the rest doesn't matter. If Porsche is this stuck, i'll stick to the upcoming 992 Turbo

here’s still a major technical hurdle that needs to be solved: the battery. Speaking to the about to retire August Achleitner, aka "Mister 911”, it was revealed that there’s still internal debate in Stuttgart about that essential component.

"The battery is the main question for the car. It has to be solved, together with the need of power output out of the battery because this influences the whole performance of the car,” Achleitner said.
Basically, the issue boils down to whether the battery will be used as a regular hybrid battery or a plug-in hybrid. Previously, it was assumed the plug-in route was the final decision following remarks made by Porsche boss Oliver Blume.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What's the point of releasing PHEV variant when they already have the Taycan coming to market? Seems like an unnecessary extra step to force owners to charge their car, for what will be a small electric range.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the point of releasing PHEV variant when they already have the Taycan coming to market? Seems like an unnecessary extra step to force owners to charge their car, for what will be a small electric range.
when it means having a direct rival to another brand, in this case Jaguar, its worth the next 7-8 years till new generation products come around from a sales perspective

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just keep it a traditional hybrid Porsche. Most of your fans have little interest in electrification anyways. The only PHEV that I know of from JLR is the RR, so that's not a direct rival to the 992 anyways. I think they are considering a PHEV version because they've already developed that platform for the Cayenne E Hybrid.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Higher end GT trims might be great as high performing hybrids if that's what Porsche has planning.
To be honest that's what I would prefer since it would give them an edge and keep competition at bay for a few more years easily.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No new electric car stays relevant for years a time with how quickly the technology is developing. Either new trim levels get introduced or updates are applied to the powertrain to increase the specs beyond the original configuration.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No new electric car stays relevant for years a time with how quickly the technology is developing. Either new trim levels get introduced or updates are applied to the powertrain to increase the specs beyond the original configuration.
It can depending on other areas it performs well in which in the 911's case would be a drivers car.

I don't see it any different than how ICE versions of the 911 or any selection of cars people love over another are viewed today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts