Porsche 992 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So at the ripe age of 57 I still hear fine (wife may argue that) and I don’t think the blind spots are an issue. Top was down yesterday and also today, high of 58…perfect! So the snowflake means what? Too cold to put the top down?
When the snowflake light comes on you should hear a warning chime as well. It means icy road conditions (black ice) with/or temp below 38F

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Interesting….how can it sense black ice though?
Don’t think it senses anything more than the temperature and suggests YOU should be watching for icy roads. But I can’t find it in the manual. Guess it’s also a suggestion to put your winter tires if you plan to continue driving. Some could consider this a silly indicator. LOL!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Don’t think it senses anything more than the temperature and suggests YOU should be watching for icy roads. But I can’t find it in the manual. Guess it’s also a suggestion to put your winter tires if you plan to continue driving. Some could consider this a silly indicator. LOL!
Exactly…I think I’ll know from local weather reports that I wont be leaving the house! 🥃 🔥

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about "temporary" storage (drive every 2 weeks weather permitting) and limited driving (in my housing development where they do not salt) in winter months (Pennsylvania), for about 30 minutes to keep the battery charged?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What about "temporary" storage (drive every 2 weeks weather permitting) and limited driving (in my housing development where they do not salt) in winter months (Pennsylvania), for about 30 minutes to keep the battery charged?
It would probably work but I always cancel the insurance and put my car to sleep on a charger. The colder temps are harder on the tires too. I just plug it in, cover it up and forget about it.
Hood Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I lived in PA. I put the charger on it all winter. It's not a big deal and it is a trickle charger plugs into the 12 volt outlet. Get the Porsche one.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Since I have two 911’s when one is parked it’s charging. I may drive the other one for two weeks. Temporary is fine to charge. It preserves the life of the battery.

What’s more concerning is just driving it around in your neighborhood. Two and 3 mile drives for less than 20 minutes is not an ample time to really warm up a car and give it a proper run. You really need 30 to 45 minutes. Taking the car on the highway and even driving it in the city allows the components and hoses to be used. In fact many of the people who developed problems with their cars were people who only drove them three or 4 miles a day. They did a series of little trips like to work, or the supermarket or similar near their house.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I finally figured out the trickle charger. With help from members of this forum and RL, I was able to set it so it stays on.
Now, some say to fill the gas tank to max add stabilizer and pump the tires to 50psi. You guys do it?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I finally figured out the trickle charger. With help from members of this forum and RL, I was able to set it so it stays on.
Now, some say to fill the gas tank to max add stabilizer and pump the tires to 50psi. You guys do it?
I’ve never done either of those things. My 911 turbo sat in my garage for eight months when the lockdown occurred in 2020. I just didn’t take it out and when I did go out I took my former GTS. Since I knew I was trading it in I drove it more. Plus I didn’t go anywhere for a while. I did have to add air to the tires. Car had half a tank when I shut it down.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think I am getting more anal with age. Never did any of this to my other cars. My 991.2 regularly sits 2-3 months untouched with 1/2 tank of gas. I do not do anything with tire psi either. However, after it sitting for 2-3 months, the first mile the tires feel kind of out of round. It goes away once the tires warm up.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think I am getting more anal with age. Never did any of this to my other cars. My 991.2 regularly sits 2-3 months untouched with 1/2 tank of gas. I do not do anything with tire psi either. However, after it sitting for 2-3 months, the first mile the tires feel kind of out of round. It goes away once the tires warm up.
It takes a little while for the car to wake up at the sitting a long time but once it’s nicely warmed up it’s fine . With my 15 year old car there were times I would get in it after it sat for a long time and I almost felt like I aged but the car didn’t. This recent hiccup is the first big one in 15 years it’s just the result of aging. The hoses are replaced and now all I’m waiting for is for them to repair the headers where they found a leak. After that it will be perfect again. I just haven’t decided whether I’m gonna keep it or not. I really love driving the new car that much. I’ll have to see when I get it back.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wow, they have had your car for some time now!

Don’t know about your turbo but my cab feels “aged” compare to 992, now that I had a chance to drive both. My wife called the 991.2 “vintage”. It looks and feels dated no matter what part of it you focus on. I did think (at one point) of trading it in, especially now that the warranty has passed. I spoke with my service guy at Collection and he believes that the 991.2 is the most overall solid Porsche made to date.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
When I stored the car myself, I would pump the tires to max (some suggest a little over) to avoid flat spots, fill the gas tank to prevent condensation, open one window a crack, cover it, kept it on a charger and then didn’t touch it for 6 months. Never used a stabilizer. And didn't use the hand brake (no electronics back then). Guess we shouldn't use the electronic brake either. Don't know what my guy does.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
When I stored the car myself, I would pump the tires to max (some suggest a little over) to avoid flat spots, fill the gas tank to prevent condensation, open one window a crack, cover it, kept it on a charger and then didn’t touch it for 6 months. Never used a stabilizer. And didn't use the hand brake (no electronics back then). Guess we shouldn't use the electronic brake either. Don't know what my guy does.
I was always told NO gas additives, fill up the tank, nothing about tires and let the trickle charger do its job.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts