Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Still waiting….
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This is my first post on the forum. I’ve been active on a Macan forum for the past year and have learned a lot from Larry. He was kind enough to let me know about this group. I’ve been looking at 992’s for over a year, so it‘s time to get more involved with the 992 community. I also selfishly need to ask for your help on my first post. :)

A bit of car history on me. I’ve loved cars since I could walk. I’ve owned some fun cars (M3, RS5, C63s etc) and I’m now enjoying my second Porsche Macan, a 22 GTS. I’ve been bitten by the Porsche bug and want a 992.

I’m on an allocation list for a new Carrera S, but as you all know, that timing is uncertain at best. I went without a sports car this summer and don’t want to do the same next year. I’ve been told that my new 992 SHOULD be delivered in late spring. If it slides a couple months I’ll miss a good chunk of my summer driving season again.

The Canadians on here will echo my excitement at getting to pay roughly $15k more on the price of a new 992 because of the new luxury tax taking effect sept 1. Porsche also tacked on $7k to the base carrera. Used prices are inflated, but with the cost of a new car jumping $22k, some of the CPO deals are looking more appealing (or maybe better expressed as less extortionate?). The CPO I’m considering would cost a bit less than a new build with the new tax regime

The 992 I found is a 21 “head office demo” CPO with 7000km. It’s close to the spec I’d build. The biggest difference is the colour. I want GT silver and the CPO car is Dolomite

This brings me to my first question for the group. Would you buy a “head office demo” CPO car? I’d prefer new but in today’s world that’s easier said than done. The car looks to be in good cosmetic condition but its hard to tell how hard its been driven. The 911 is known to be well built and CPO is great, so should I be hesitant to buy it?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hi

This is my first post on the forum. I’ve been active on a Macan forum for the past year and have learned a lot from Larry. He was kind enough to let me know about this group. I’ve been looking at 992’s for over a year, so it‘s time to get more involved with the 992 community. I also selfishly need to ask for your help on my first post. :)

A bit of car history on me. I’ve loved cars since I could walk. I’ve owned some fun cars (M3, RS5, C63s etc) and I’m now enjoying my second Porsche Macan, a 22 GTS. I’ve been bitten by the Porsche bug and want a 992.

I’m on an allocation list for a new Carrera S, but as you all know, that timing is uncertain at best. I went without a sports car this summer and don’t want to do the same next year. I’ve been told that my new 992 SHOULD be delivered in late spring. If it slides a couple months I’ll miss a good chunk of my summer driving season again.

The Canadians on here will echo my excitement at getting to pay roughly $15k more on the price of a new 992 because of the new luxury tax taking effect sept 1. Porsche also tacked on $7k to the base carrera. Used prices are inflated, but with the cost of a new car jumping $22k, some of the CPO deals are looking more appealing (or maybe better expressed as less extortionate?). The CPO I’m considering would cost a bit less than a new build with the new tax regime

The 992 I found is a 21 “head office demo” CPO with 7000km. It’s close to the spec I’d build. The biggest difference is the colour. I want GT silver and the CPO car is Dolomite

This brings me to my first question for the group. Would you buy a “head office demo” CPO car? I’d prefer new but in today’s world that’s easier said than done. The car looks to be in good cosmetic condition but its hard to tell how hard its been driven. The 911 is known to be well built and CPO is great, so should I be hesitant to buy it?

Thoughts?
Welcome @KM992, fellow Canadian. I don’t know when you placed your order but the time frame from deposit to delivery is now close to 2 years for a 992 even if some dealers won’t admit it (at least in Montreal). So, if the past is any indication of the future and you just ordered your car, next spring doesn’t seem likely. Of course, nobody knows for sure but that could influence your decision.

The short answer to your question is that I would have no issue buying a CPO even if I expect that as a demo it was run hard a few times when cold. With a proper inspection and your warranty, you are covered. That would be more of a potential concern if you intend to keep the car past warranty. Even then, by 2025-2026, I suspect that any potential problem would’ve already been discovered.

That said, my opinion is biased by the fact that I went completely crazy with the delays, multiple postponements and total absence of communication from Porsche AG, the dealerships and their representatives. It wasn’t just the wait (1 ½ year) but the fact that nobody knew anything and didn’t even try to contact me to keep me in the loop (And i bought 4 cars from that dealer). Since then, things got worse!!!!

Even Larry started a post with the title “If you had to do this all over again, would you?" And he only buys new cars!

The hardest decision regards the color difference! :p LOL! So, you buy the CPO and stay on the list for a new one. Worse comes to worse, you could flip it next summer. If you sell it personally, you probably wouldn’t lose a dime. Otherwise, you would have to accept the “delta”.

BTW If you got the CPO, will you be driving it this winter in Alberta or will you be storing it?

·
Registered
Still waiting….
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
L '
Welcome @KM992, fellow Canadian. I don’t know when you placed your order but the time frame from deposit to delivery is now close to 2 years for a 992 even if some dealers won’t admit it (at least in Montreal). So, if the past is any indication of the future and you just ordered your car, next spring doesn’t seem likely. Of course, nobody knows for sure but that could influence your decision.

The short answer to your question is that I would have no issue buying a CPO even if I expect that as a demo it was run hard a few times when cold. With a proper inspection and your warranty, you are covered. That would be more of a potential concern if you intend to keep the car past warranty. Even then, by 2025-2026, I suspect that any potential problem would’ve already been discovered.

That said, my opinion is biased by the fact that I went completely crazy with the delays, multiple postponements and total absence of communication from Porsche AG, the dealerships and their representatives. It wasn’t just the wait (1 ½ year) but the fact that nobody knew anything and didn’t even try to contact me to keep me in the loop (And i bought 4 cars from that dealer). Since then, things got worse!!!!

Even Larry started a post with the title “If you had to do this all over again, would you?" And he only buys new cars!

The hardest decision regards the color difference! :p LOL! So, you buy the CPO and stay on the list for a new one. Worse comes to worse, you could flip it next summer. If you sell it personally, you probably wouldn’t lose a dime. Otherwise, you would have to accept the “delta”.

BTW will you be driving your car this winter in Alberta or will you be storing it?

I’ve been debating what you suggested. Buy one now, enjoy it, and sell it in a year or two while waiting for my dream build. When I started down this road a year ago I swore this would be my forever car, or at least my 10 year car as opposed to my recent history of turning them over every 3-4 years. I don’t think I’d lose much if the market stays the way it is but who really knows what the future brings. I also wanted part of this experience to include a factory delivery which I’ll miss out on unless I commit to flipping something I buy now. I continue to argue both scenarios with myself which isn’t healthy!

The colour is a first world problem, but nonetheless, still a real problem. I absolutely love GT Silver. I’m going to spend tomorrow finding a Dolomite car to look at. I considered Dolomite when I bought my Macan, mostly because GT Silver wasn‘t an available option, but the day before I had to lock my order I saw a dolomite Macan in cloudy, low light conditions and decided I didn’t love the near baby blue shade. Different cars wear colours differently so maybe I’ll love it on a 992? I spent half the night watching YouTube videos of Dolomite 992s and they look good but pics often don’t capture what you see in person. I also suspect I’d soon love whichever colour my new baby is wearing!

As for winter….I have a ram 1500 for towing and extremely bad snow days. It now barely moves since the arrival of the Macan (it’s the perfect everyday driver for my needs). The 992 will be more of a garage queen. I’m not opposed to driving it in the winter on clean roads but it’ll never come out on the melting, slushy days. I’ll probably get a set of winters for it so I don’t have to suffer through 4-5mths waiting for summer tire season, I did similar with my RS5 and C63s. I just want to get back into that feeling of a sports car, and having something in the garage that makes me smile every time i see it. Car guys understand. Others think I’m nuts.

I’m starting to understand Larry’s frustration with new orders. It’s maddening not getting any valid info from the dealerships. I keep reminding myself that they are dealing with uncertainty as well. However, that doesn’t justify the games being played such as “if you buy a used car from us today, we could probably move you up the allocation list, wink wink”. There’s no excuse for that garbage in any dealership. It’d be more tolerable if I had a 992 in the garage while I wait.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

BTW If you got the CPO, will you be driving it this winter in Alberta or will you be storing it?
Hey KM, welcome! Good info here, good folks and some laughs and ball busting here and there! I would agree with Chucky that its slim picking out there. I was lucky to order a GT Silver Cabriolet S Manual and simply love it. Not a Dolimite Silver fan but maybe you can take it for now and get what you really want in time.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Plant Tire Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Car seat cover

Wheel Tire Cloud Car Vehicle

Car Wheel Cloud Tire Sky

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hey KM, welcome! Good info here, good folks and some laughs and ball busting here and there! I would agree with Chucky that its slim picking out there. I was lucky to order a GT Silver Cabriolet S Manual and simply love it. Not a Dolimite Silver fan but maybe you can take it for now and get what you really want in time. View attachment 932
View attachment 931
View attachment 929
View attachment 930
However, the 992 looks awesome in every color so maybe the Dolomite may grow on you. I didn’t care for it the same reasons you stated. Sell or trade it when your “baby” is delivered. I was pissed I couldn’t do the European delivery due to covid BS but I will next time!

·
Registered
Still waiting….
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey KM, welcome! Good info here, good folks and some laughs and ball busting here and there! I would agree with Chucky that its slim picking out there. I was lucky to order a GT Silver Cabriolet S Manual and simply love it. Not a Dolimite Silver fan but maybe you can take it for now and get what you really want in time. View attachment 932
View attachment 931
View attachment 929
View attachment 930
Lol. Or how about giving a new forum member a genuine warm welcome and sell him your car!?

Congrats on your car. Love GT silver. Classic and timeless.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't understand why is EVERYBODY is getting GT Silver! Yes, it's got royal lineage and GT Silver is an absolute classic but what about some color? Like Gentian Bue! LOL! :p

But we're missing the point talking about colors. I think many are overly afraid of Demo cars driven by unknown people in unknown ways. With 7K Km (That's 4300 mi for Bobby ;)) and CPO, I'd buy it without a second thought if indeed the build checked all my boxes. So, we're back to Dolomite! 🙄

Larry told you you would have fun with us! 😅

Attachments

·
Registered
Still waiting….
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pics are priceless. Here’s the CPO I’m thinking about.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

And I’m a silver fan. This is my last coupe that i traded in on the Macan. Pics were taken when new and coming out of the Detailer’s shop. The C63s is a beautiful engine surrounded by poorly assembled Mercedes squeaking rattling junk. I miss that engine. I don’t miss the dealership or squeaks. :0

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
Still waiting….
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't understand why is EVERYBODY is getting GT Silver! Yes, it's got royal lineage and GT Silver is an absolute classic but what about some color? Like Gentian Bue! LOL! :p

But we're missing the point talking about colors. I think many are overly afraid of Demo cars driven by unknown people in unknown ways. With 7K Km (That's 4300 mi for Bobby ;)) and CPO, I'd buy it without a second thought if indeed the build checked all my boxes. So, we're back to Dolomite! 🙄

Larry told you you would have fun with us! 😅
You have impeccable taste! I think I read a post from someone called Larry that didn’t like GB with black wheels?

GB lives in my garage as well!

Wheel Cloud Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

View attachment 933

And I’m a silver fan. This is my last coupe that i traded in on the Macan. Pics were taken when new and coming out of the Detailer’s shop. The C63s is a beautiful engine surrounded by poorly assembled Mercedes squeaking rattling junk. I miss that engine. I don’t miss the dealership or squeaks. :0

View attachment 934
View attachment 935
All cool cars! Charles, I’m getting formal now. That blue is stunning and I was going back and forth with Red, Blue and GT Silver but decided on the conservative choice but you just wait!

·
Registered
799 Posts

View attachment 933

View attachment 934
View attachment 935
I wish I could enlarge the pic of your CPO but it's beautiful! Really. Even if I prefer GB! ;)

Do I have to bring everybody back on the main issue at hand?

·
Registered
799 Posts
You have impeccable taste! I think I read a post from someone called Larry that didn’t like GB with black wheels?

GB lives in my garage as well!

View attachment 938
WOW! Just stunning with the black wheels! Love it. Larry is our "Guru" on this Forum even if he only likes white, black...and now for the first time silver cars. That said, I may have gotten his attention with GB (but only for the 911). And apparently also Bobby's attention who now calls me formally Charles! LOL!

Charles, Charlie, Chuck or Chucky

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
WOW! Just stunning with the black wheels! Love it. Larry is our "Guru" on this Forum even if he only likes white, black...and now for the first time silver cars. That said, I may have gotten his attention with GB (but only for the 911). And apparently also Bobby's attention who now calls me formally Charles! LOL!

Charles, Charlie, Chuck or Chucky
That is so funny and it is an attention getter for sure. Larry is also the Pontiff or Pope for his vast knowledge and expertise in redirecting the Porsche delivery ships to get my car here a week early….computer hacking skills????

·
Registered
Still waiting….
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do I have to bring everybody back on the main issue at hand?
Thanks everyone. I’ll put the CPO concern to rest.

The only issues remaining are colour preference and informing my spouse. I decided to leave the latter issue until I’m fully committed to the purchase. I’ll take a bit of heat regarding why I need it and she’s absolutely correct. It’s a want and not a need. Feel free to chime in with any spousal advice. 😀

Tomorrow should be an exciting day!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thanks everyone. I’ll put the CPO concern to rest.

The only issues remaining are colour preference and informing my spouse. I decided to leave the latter issue until I’m fully committed to the purchase. I’ll take a bit of heat regarding why I need it and she’s absolutely correct. It’s a want and not a need. Feel free to chime in with any spousal advice. 😀

Tomorrow should be an exciting day!
Our pleasure. Good thing Larry is too busy on the Macan Forum these days cause I've read a thread of his a few years ago about "spousal advice"! Yikes. 😅

1 - 20 of 69 Posts