Porsche 992 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went for my first lively drive . I didnt mash it all the way but I tasted an appetizer of mash !! 230 miles and I could not take it anymore !!

So there I sat in my most recent dilemma . To punch and test or not to punch and test . So I made it half way . The RPM's blew through 4K into 5500 range . The first (of several) came on with a note after passing 4K . My internal thought was "did a Porsche computer register that I defied break in just a wee bit" . After that I realized that the sound I heard was the ambiance of the lightweight glass (part of lightweight package) pulling in that exhaust note . I go to pull a quick U turn and notice that the rear axle steering turning radius is unreal . I was off to more !!!!More !!! Bring it on I said !!!

Now of course I did not want some sort of ticket . Plus I was in testing mode which I viewed like dipping my toes in the pool rather than leaping in . I would pick my desirable area and rip briefly . I then did so on a dig from a standstill as well as a roll. I ripped it into S turns on ramps . I have to say this car has such an amazing combination of components . The sound , the smooth shifts into each gear , the suspension made this a glorious drive . I came home and looked at my modded Turbo in the garage and pondered to myself whether to keep it for the first time .

This car just has enough of everything . Its fast enough, agile enough , comfortable enough, elegant enough , stops on a dime, and looks so beautiful . Do I really need anything else ? I will pause on that . There is a deep love for my 07 car !!!

This car really put a smile on my face .

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I just went for my first lively drive . I didnt mash it all the way but I tasted an appetizer of mash !! 230 miles and I could not take it anymore !!

So there I sat in my most recent dilemma . To punch and test or not to punch and test . So I made it half way . The RPM's blew through 4K into 5500 range . The first (of several) came on with a note after passing 4K . My internal thought was "did a Porsche computer register that I defied break in just a wee bit" . After that I realized that the sound I heard was the ambiance of the lightweight glass (part of lightweight package) pulling in that exhaust note . I go to pull a quick U turn and notice that the rear axle steering turning radius is unreal . I was off to more !!!!More !!! Bring it on I said !!!

Now of course I did not want some sort of ticket . Plus I was in testing mode which I viewed like dipping my toes in the pool rather than leaping in . I would pick my desirable area and rip briefly . I then did so on a dig from a standstill as well as a roll. I ripped it into S turns on ramps . I have to say this car has such an amazing combination of components . The sound , the smooth shifts into each gear , the suspension made this a glorious drive . I came home and looked at my modded Turbo in the garage and pondered to myself whether to keep it for the first time .

This car just has enough of everything . Its fast enough, agile enough , comfortable enough, elegant enough , stops on a dime, and looks so beautiful . Do I really need anything else ? I will pause on that . There is a deep love for my 07 car !!!

Well I also pushed it today but I’m over 1700 miles so I think I’m good to go. I did some back Road S turns today at 60 mph with no issue at all! Hit about six grand but I agree with all points you mentioned about handling, shifting breaking etc. I thought I was going to miss my 2014 Boxster no way I’m looking back now, don’t miss that car at all. You might wanna consider freeing up some money and taking advantage of this market with your other car. I couldn’t imagine driving anything else right now.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I also pushed it today but I’m over 1700 miles so I think I’m good to go. I did some back Road S turns today at 60 mph with no issue at all! Hit about six grand but I agree with all points you mentioned about handling, shifting breaking etc. I thought I was going to miss my 2014 Boxster no way I’m looking back now, don’t miss that car at all. You might wanna consider freeing up some money and taking advantage of this market with your other car. I couldn’t imagine driving anything else right now.
The other car was my dream car and the time and effort that went into the project was intense . I think if I sell it I will regret it. Not yet. It’s a legend still.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know it is tempting to sell a 2nd 911 or Boxster at the height of this market. But thing long-term, would you still want the car in five years? If yes, better keep it. Much more expensive to sell (albeit high) and then buy again.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I know it is tempting to sell a 2nd 911 or Boxster at the height of this market. But thing long-term, would you still want the car in five years? If yes, better keep it. Much more expensive to sell (albeit high) and then buy again.
It certainly helped with financing the 911…I made the right call, love my 992 and smiles all day long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It certainly helped with financing the 911…I made the right call, love my 992 and smiles all day long.
Well, you got me really curious now. I have a 1991 C4 Coupe (964) that I plan on keeping forever. A little air-cooled addicted at the moment, I would love to add a 993 at some point.

The other main car is a 2013 911S manual and was looking for a 911 50th (manual) to replace with as another forever car. But of course, tempting to spec a new 992 GTS exactly how I would like it instead of the 911 50th. But I would wait until the frenzy is over, not willing to pay over MSRP.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well, you got me really curious now. I have a 1991 C4 Coupe (964) that I plan on keeping forever. A little air-cooled addicted at the moment, I would love to add a 993 at some point.

The other main car is a 2013 911S manual and was looking for a 911 50th (manual) to replace with as another forever car. But of course, tempting to spec a new 992 GTS exactly how I would like it instead of the 911 50th. But I would wait until the frenzy is over, not willing to pay over MSRP.
Seems like you have a few decisions to make but your in a good spot either way you look at it.

·
Registered
14 Posts

THX for the write-up Larry, great insights. How different does this drive from the 991.2 GTS? Does it feel like a totally new level or just the next step in the evolution?

·
Registered
17 Posts

I’m so happy for you and can’t wait to be in your position one day.
Do you feel solid with your decision to choose pdk?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I would keep the air cooled car . I would dump the 991.1 . They were great cars in their time but it has passed . They will never be a classic outside of a 911R and a 991.2 Gt3 manual . In fact the 991.2 Gt3 is a better manual than the current 992 Gt3. I friend of mine drove it and changed his order . His Touring has PDK . The current Gt3 holds the revs between shifts making it not a true manual . Its almost like its trying to mimic PDK so it may as well be PDK . Thats what he decided on and why.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THX for the write-up Larry, great insights. How different does this drive from the 991.2 GTS? Does it feel like a totally new level or just the next step in the evolution?
Great question -

For starters its not a fair fight comparison . My 991.2 lacked rear axle steering . It also had steel brakes . It even had a glass sunroof which ads about 60 pounds or so right in the center of mass . In contrast my new car has RAS , Ceramics , and a carbon roof (weight reduction ). It also has lightweight package which includes several adjustments on top of weight reduction .

That being said I loved my 991.2 and at the time thought to myself "what could top this " ? It was reliable , acceleration was linear and seamless , shifts were smooth and it handled beautifully. This car brings on a whole new dimension . For starters even the shift points differ . In sport mode it is less tame where power comes on sooner and downshifts vary with how its driven . If driving it hard the downshift will be more abrupt . If sitting in traffic in sport its less abrupt . The settings adapt to the driver . The torque at the low end comes on immediately . I haven't even tested the upper rev range but the sound is symphonic while the power delivery is incredible . I am amazed that even at lower RPMs its easy to hit 80 MPH and maintain break in . The brakes stop on a dime . I have had to hit them hard twice . Rear axle steering adds another component . Everything from the small turning radius to higher speed confidence The car despite being larger and heavier feels more nimble . I had said to myself that most stock cars aren't that fast but this car is not only fast it also has balance . I am sure a Turbo S is faster but I wonder if that heavy AWD will knock its balance , My 991.2 was a wonderful car but this really is the next step.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great question -

For starters its not a fair fight comparison . My 991.2 lacked rear axle steering . It also had steel brakes . It even had a glass sunroof which ads about 60 pounds or so right in the center of mass . In contrast my new car has RAS , Ceramics , and a carbon roof (weight reduction ). It also has lightweight package which includes several adjustments on top of weight reduction .

That being said I loved my 991.2 and at the time thought to myself "what could top this " ? It was reliable , acceleration was linear and seamless , shifts were smooth and it handled beautifully. This car brings on a whole new dimension . For starters even the shift points differ . In sport mode it is less tame where power comes on sooner and downshifts vary with how its driven . If driving it hard the downshift will be more abrupt . If sitting in traffic in sport its less abrupt . The settings adapt to the driver . The torque at the low end comes on immediately . I haven't even tested the upper rev range but the sound is symphonic while the power delivery is incredible . I am amazed that even at lower RPMs its easy to hit 80 MPH and maintain break in . The brakes stop on a dime . I have had to hit them hard twice . Rear axle steering adds another component . Everything from the small turning radius to higher speed confidence The car despite being larger and heavier feels more nimble . I had said to myself that most stock cars aren't that fast but this car is not only fast it also has balance . I am sure a Turbo S is faster but I wonder if that heavy AWD will knock its balance , My 991.2 was a wonderful car but this really is the next step.
Awesome, so glad to hear this car knocks your socks off :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome, so glad to hear this car knocks your socks off :)
Fast forward to 10 min 30 sec. Although I dont agree on every point he made in his review it becomes very clear that the lightweight package sound is amazing . My car sounds like that in the cabin . His first portion he drives a Cab but quickly notices the change going into this car with the spec .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great question -

BTW, Larry, I can't recall. Did you also have the 991.1 GTS? Just curious if yes, how you see the progression!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Larry, on a different topic. I know you’ll NEVER use it but did you ever attempt to remove the valet key from the fob??? I’m only interested if I ever need it to get in for some reason.
I did ask him . He did answer me but I forgot the answer . I remembered you in that moment but do not remember the answer now. I can find out . When I go to get my wife's Macan (in service) I will ask again .

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

Rectangle Communication Device Font Gadget Screenshot

2051 miles…..I’m certified broken in so let the games begin!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts