Porsche 992 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
@CH61 I just looked up the DME scan tool use on a 718. Apparently there are new scanning devices for cars beyond 2015. Rennlist Names a few. Since I have not owned a manual since 2013 I wanted to be sure what type of scan to tell you to get. I’m sure your dealership can simply do a scan using their modern tool to detect engine over rev history . That is an area of concern with any used manual. Although the gearing is so tall in the 718 he’d have to be pretty uncoordinated to mess up. Plus it even has rev matching so I imagine your cars are probably clean. Either way the way to really knows with a scan .

I wrote this is the second post to the above to correct myself rather than edit the older post. I’m actually excited about the Spyder . It’s an awesome car!

Edit - As soon as I finished writing this post my phone rang any with my friend Pete. He had a 718 spider. I asked him about the tool used and he told me it’s the PIWIS 3.0 . He says your dealership should have this. The scan read out is the same as I suggested in my first post. None of that has changed it’s just a Porsche has an upgraded server from the past.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wow! Thanks for the info Larry. Duly noted. Not that I would know how to use a PIWIS 3.0 but I will certainly ask for the engine rev history.

I'm excited also and so is my wife who is already planning our next road trip! :rolleyes: She mentionned the Bay of Fundy! Hmm. Not sure the Spyder would be the ideal car for such a long drive from Montreal. But hey, everybody is excited, including my adult kids, especially my 28 year old son who's daring me to get a RED Spyder! LOL!

But let's not get too excited, those cars could be sold tomorrow. The Macan can always take us to the canadian province of New Brunswick and probably more comfortalbly.

As I was reading your post, I opened the front door and took this pic...just for you! We live in the city but just in front of a park and the snow was blowing so hard we could barely see the trees. Can't wait for my summer ride, whatever it is...

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do not know anything about the Spyder, but the 911 is a great “road trip” car for two people that is. Lots of frunk space. Took a trip down to Key West last year and the best part of the trip was just driving the 911😀

Bay of Fundy is great, friendly people, great food wicked tides and freezing water hahah

·
Registered
744 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the info Larry. Duly noted. Not that I would know how to use a PIWIS 3.0 but I will certainly ask for the engine rev history.

I'm excited also and so is my wife who is already planning our next road trip! :rolleyes: She mentionned the Bay of Fundy! Hmm. Not sure the Spyder would be the ideal car for such a long drive from Montreal. But hey, everybody is excited, including my adult kids, especially my 28 year old son who's daring me to get a RED Spyder! LOL!

But let's not get too excited, those cars could be sold tomorrow. The Macan can always take us to the canadian province of New Brunswick and probably more comfortalbly.

As I was reading your post, I opened the front door and took this pic...just for you! We live in the city but just in front of a park and the snow was blowing so hard we could barely see the trees. Can't wait for my summer ride, whatever it is...
We actually use the Macan Turbo for longer drives . As it is I had 50K miles on. my 911 and I somewhat feel the Macan really should be the beater . Now it is true that if the particular drive was scenic then I might consider it. The problem is that Florida is flat and boring . It takes about 9 hours just to get out of the state . There are some great east-west desolate straight always. I did them when younger in the 911 but all it takes is a big rain storm in the Everglades to become nerve racking .

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
UPDATE

Just came back from the dealer. The red Spyder was sold last Thursday! The white one looked sooo similar to my 981 that there was no “Wow” effect despite it’s incredible exhaust notes and lovely manual shift. And it just didn’t look new (well it isn’t) with scratches on the plastic where the "crazy" manual roof is hooked and little dings on the hood despite the PPF (guess it could be removed and replaced). But the clincher was the probable 20K-25K hit I would have to take on trade-in at the end of the summer (the “delta” as my SA said)! WTF! Sorry!

Of course I could sell it myself or they could even sell it for me for a 4-5% commission. But the Spyder is a specific “niche” and they don’t instantly leave the lot. That “delta” would be smaller with more “fluid” cars, those that don’t stay in their hands for long. But I don’t want a base Boxster anymore, especially the 4th gen ones with that flat-4 turbocharged engine :sick:. I much preferred my old 981 with it’s flat six.

Bottom line, it’s a seller’s market and I knew that and was willing to compromise (color, manual). But if somebody wants a “used” Porsche cab, that person has to pay the premium and decide to accept the delta at trade in or try to sell it himself at a higher price.

My mistake was trading in my 981 last fall. I thought it was a good move since I wouldn’t have to store it, etc. Had I known…

Somehow, a NEW 992 now sounds almost like a deal, with no ADM in Canada. As far as allocations go, I'm NEXT for a 992 S cab at my dealer but it seems that Porsche decided to build more of the higher end cars for more profit. They got lots of Turbo and GT3 allocations...but they haven't seen many cabs! Hence my agonizing waiting period...

·
Registered
399 Posts
UPDATE

Just came back from the dealer. The red Spyder was sold last Thursday! The white one looked sooo similar to my 981 that there was no “Wow” effect despite it’s incredible exhaust notes and lovely manual shift. And it just didn’t look new (well it isn’t) with scratches on the plastic where the "crazy" manual roof is hooked and little dings on the hood despite the PPF (guess it could be removed and replaced). But the clincher was the probable 20K-25K hit I would have to take on trade-in at the end of the summer (the “delta” as my SA said)! WTF! Sorry!

Of course I could sell it myself or they could even sell it for me for a 4-5% commission. But the Spyder is a specific “niche” and they don’t instantly leave the lot. That “delta” would be smaller with more “fluid” cars, those that don’t stay in their hands for long. But I don’t want a base Boxster anymore, especially the 4th gen ones with that flat-4 turbocharged engine :sick:. I much preferred my old 981 with it’s flat six.

Bottom line, it’s a seller’s market and I knew that and was willing to compromise (color, manual). But if somebody wants a “used” Porsche cab, that person has to pay the premium and decide to accept the delta at trade in or try to sell it himself at a higher price.

My mistake was trading in my 981 last fall. I thought it was a good move since I wouldn’t have to store it, etc. Had I known…

Somehow, a NEW 992 now sounds almost like a deal, with no ADM in Canada. As far as allocations go, I'm NEXT for a 992 S cab at my dealer but it seems that Porsche decided to build more of the higher end cars for more profit. They got lots of Turbo and GT3 allocations...but they haven't seen many cabs! Hence my agonizing waiting period...
In my opinion it is a correct move to wait for the 992. I still don’t know why your dealer cannot slot you in and give you approximate date. Patience!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
In my opinion it is a correct move to wait for the 992. I still don’t know why your dealer cannot slot you in and give you approximate date. Patience!
They know it's coming and the approx date is june build and august delivery. But is the production delays due to the recent losses on the burning ship going to delay things? Your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hm Aug. I feel your frustration. My dealer told me that the accident will not effect our deliveries. Not sure if I believe him.
Yup! Same here with my dealer but even if those cars were headed for the States, they will have to be replaced in "priority" and our builds inevitably delayed. I think!

Taking my roadster out in the spring has always been a moment of great pleasure if not "bliss" after our harsh winters. That condo in Florida sounds more and more interesting... 😉

·
Registered
399 Posts
I hope my dealer is right🙂. I just looked at autotrader.ca and there is nothing there , 14 cars (crazy prices). Wait is all we can do. I kind of do not mind waiting, still love my MB GLE (it will be traded), plus I regularly get my fix with my cab.
Yes, avoiding our Canadian winters here in Florida works well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
UPDATE

I agree with you on all points .You made the right move , Now if your dealership would just ante up that slot !

·
Registered
18 Posts
As I've posted already on this Forum, I'm hoping "one day" to put my hands on a 992 S MT cab. In the meantime, since I've (unfortunately) already traded back my Boxster 981 to my dealer, I'm looking at CPO 911's. Slim pickings with asking prices almost over new. And finding any model with a stick becomes almost impossible.

But I did find a 2017 991.2 MT base Targa with very little mileage...and very little options (Sapphire Blue Metallic ). I had never considered a Targa since it's neither a coupe or a convertible. And it's 4WD! Hmm. Not what I was looking for. But beggars can't be choosers, right?

So has anyone ever driven a Targa and can share the experience, good or bad. I would drive it till I get my 992...if no other ships go on fire or sink to the bottom of the ocean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love my 2022 Targa 4s and to be honest I love all of my cars for various personal reasons. Some on here say they don't like it for odd reasons I call bull on most of them it is indeed rare and perhaps harder to adjust to than most but it stands out from the crowd for sure. Love my 17 Cab as well and just ordered a new Ferrari to mix it up a bit and will be a 13 month wait but will be worth it! Good looking car it's a base but pull the trigger if the price is right! I assume you are going to pay a premium on it and perhaps MSRP if not more of what it originally cost. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I love my 2022 Targa 4s and to be honest I love all of my cars for various personal reasons. Some on here say they don't like it for odd reasons I call bull on most of them it is indeed rare and perhaps harder to adjust to than most but it stands out from the crowd for sure. Love my 17 Cab as well and just ordered a new Ferrari to mix it up a bit and will be a 13 month wait but will be worth it! Good looking car it's a base but pull the trigger if the price is right! I assume you are going to pay a premium on it and perhaps MSRP if not more of what it originally cost. Good luck!
Thanks @22Targa4S for sharing your experience with the Targa. It's beautiful! That said, you seem to have the best of both worlds with the "classic" Targa and your cab. I was already a "little" jealous before reading about the new Ferrari! 😅 Congrats!

Beyond their technical differences, I don't think the Targa will give me the same "wind in my hair" (what's left of it) experience, since I'm a top down guy. Always been. Maybe if I could have both! :unsure:

Thanks again and drive safe!

P.S. I don't really know Ferraris. Which one did you order?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is a Post I just made. It may help you:

Background/Context: I am 60 years old. My first Porsche was a 2009 987 Cayman base six speed manual purchased about 5 years ago. My second Porsche was a 2015 981 Cayman GTS PDK purchased about 2 years ago. My daily is a 2014 Mercedes E350 (176k miles!)
This is a preliminary review since I have not reached the recommended mileage (1,400 miles) before RPM’s are recommended above 4,000. I have had the Targa since August 18th, 2022. Mileage is 723.
I will be specific, even meticulous in this review, not because I am not loving this vehicle (I am!) but to provide feedback that may help others.
BUILD:
992 Targa4S
Carrera white
Bordeaux/black full leather interior
Targa roof in black
Power steering plus (here comes the hate messages!)
Wheel centers with color
GT sport steering wheel in leather
Porsche Crest on center headrests
Innodrive
911 Turbo wheels
Power sport seats fourteen way
Under door puddle light projectors (my son really wanted me to get these)
Sport design side skirts
Sport Package
Premium Package

LOOKS:

I like the looks of the 911better than the Cayman from all views except the back. Nothing beats a Cayman from the rear. I do prefer the 911’s more rounded headlamps compared to the 981 Cayman as they are more traditional. I also prefer the 911’s more rounded bulges behind the headlights on the hood. The 981 had creases that I think were there to make the Cayman look more modern. I liked the Cayman 987 more from this vantage point. I am thrilled with the look of the Turbo S wheels. They are rare…why? I am glad that I chose the side skirts..pricey but finishes the look from the sides.
TARGA SYSTEM:
The Targa with the top down showing the two-tone interior is stunning. My biggest worry before owning the Targa was the potential for excess noise and buffeting when the top was down. I am more than satisfied with the Targa design. With the wind deflector up, one cannot get any buffeting no matter where the windows are. The noise is so much less than I thought. My wife and I drove eighty miles on the interstate at about 75mph. We talked in normal voices the whole way! I am sensitive to noises and am thrilled that this is a non-issue!
INTERIOR:
Fantastic. The change from the previous 911’s (991) gray smooth trim along the dashboard to the highly textured surface is a vast improvement. I am surprised it was not an option. The fit and finish is excellent. So many expensive cars have a dash that looks like an iPad was glued on. I would never accept this. The 992 dash is beautifully crafted into the dash. The enter/exit feature of the seats is a luxury for me as well as practical in that it protects the side bolsters from wear: the seat moves back when the ignition is turned off and return to the driving position once the ignition is turned on.
Seating: I ordered the fourteen ways seats partly because the eighteen ways were much more expensive and did not come with the much nicer backing of the fourteen ways. The seats are comfortable but do not hug you (at least not me---5’8 170lbs. I do like the fact that they have the extension of the front under the knees. I am disappointed that they are not a bit more snug but that is what the eighteen ways are for.
The sport steering wheel blocks the outermost gauges more so than the standard wheel. I have viewed so many reviews that presented this situation as a big flaw. I did not think it was such a big issue. I still do not, however, the steering wheel really does completely block both outer gauges. It takes more effort than I thought to see them. The passenger can see them easily.
Back seat: There is so much more room than I thought! Even though the Targa has less space than the coupe, I was pleased at the amount of space. I took my mother-in-law for a ride in the front seat while my wife was in the back seat-No problem.
There are two function buttons that are programmable, one on the wheel and one on the dash. The options are a bit limited. I have start/stop function “off” for the button on the wheel and “view” outside of car for the dash button.
The PCM is well designed. It is quite easy to use and very intuitive. Well done, Porsche!

STEERING/HANDLING

Oh my…fantastic. There is zero steering play with perfect weighting. I cannot imagine how it could be improved. The handling is just breathtaking. I have not even been over 4,000 revs yet and I can tell this car will be a blast when I can really use the full capability.
This is the first turbocharged car I have ever owned. I do notice a bit of turbo lag, but it is about ½ of a second. I am sensitive to this now because I have been concentrating on feeling the difference between the Targa and the Cayman. I thought that I would appreciate the earlier on set of torque with the 911 vs the Cayman and I do. I love the power onset without having to ring out the revs. I would not enjoy a GT3 as much as the Targa.
SOUND:
The 981 Cayman has one of the best sounds of any Porsche. I was preparing myself to experience a much less pleasurable sound. I have been pleasantly surprised at the sound that the Targa makes! It is remarkably close to the 981 Cayman.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Vehicle Car Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

41 - 60 of 77 Posts